Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Do you let the water run when you brush your teeth?

I had the radio on driving home and the announcer said it took about 200 gallons of water per year if you let the water run when you brush your teeth.

I don't let the water run, myself. We have really expensive water here.

Comments (7)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I let the water run when I brush my teeth. It is a good thing to do. If you don't let the water run in situations like this, and if there is water rationing, then you would run the risk of losing water you want. Therefore it is good to waste water. I need it too much in my garden so I need to waste it.

I also let the shower run when I am soaping up.

When I am soaping up my hands and washing them, I let the water run.

Sammy

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

No! LOL!

I definitely don't let the water run when I brush my teeth or when I do the dishes.

I feel extremely guilty wasting H2O, seeing nice clean water running down the drain for no good reason. I'm a stickler about this, I also encourage my kids not to waste water. We are so fortunate to have clean, potable water, the rest of our world is not as fortunate.

Thanks for the post:)

Betty

• taureau
    16 years ago

I am in the habit of letting the water run while
    brushing my teeth. I'm trying to break the
    habit. My wife doesn't do it and she jumps me
    about it. Everything else I do like Sammy just
    stated. While in the Navy, on board ship we had
    navy showers. Jump in to get wet, turn off and soap
    up, turn on to raise off, quickly.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

We replumbed our old house when we renovated it and the plumbing system collects the gray water and disperses it on the roses.
    But the bathroom sinks go to the septic tank. But to answer your question, yes, I let the water run and most often collect it in a modified gallon jug that then sits on the toilet because we have the "new and greatly improved" toilets that flush with less water. What the govt didn't tell folks was that any lime on the inner porcelain from the water that slows the siphon even the least little bit, reduces the flush efficiency of the action. So that gallon is there to add to the bowl to make a flush that flushes. (And this is better than flushing it five times, just to get TP to go down.)
    Dave Barry, in Florida, has written of his misery with the improved toilets.

• paparoseman
    16 years ago

Buy one of the newer pressure flush toilets. They flush like the toilets at some comercial places you might have used the toilet at. One flush and everything goes down. I turn the water off while showering and while brushing. That makes up for SO who lets the water run for several minutes while she gets ready to get into the shower plus while she brushes, she also washes dishes with the water running and has done this for the ten years I have known her.

If she lived in the South East the drought would have been much worse. I have asked her to not do this as the sewer bill is connected to overall water consumption.

• jody
    16 years ago

Good heavens no, my Mom would thump my head and that hurt!

Trying to be a good citizen, I started letting the water run in a bucket while it heats and then I set the bucket aside. DH keeps forgetting and then dumps the bucket back down the drain. What I intended to do was use the bucket of water to water the potted plants on the porch or the house plants. I guess I'll try again with a properly labeled buckets.

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

I used to but not any more.