Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelalreadytaken

Point Reyes

Mr. Animal

{{gwi:210078}}

Some of the largest waves on record were recorded a couple of days ago. I missed the peak.

{{gwi:210079}}

Every five minutes or so a wave would come ashore and inundate the beach about two to three feet deep.

{{gwi:210081}}

{{gwi:210083}}

{{gwi:210085}}

Comments (15)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

Each picture seems to tell its own story. How very interesting and beautiful!

Sammy

• darbardi
    16 years ago

These are beautiful. The waves look like paintings.
    Love the title--mr animal

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

It's a spectacular place. We were there a few years ago. You can feel the mad and impersonal rage of nature, and feel that humanity is a mere small blot on the surface of the world.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

Great pictures MAT.

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Michael. All I can say is WOW! Your photography is sensational.
    Kathy

• michaelalreadytaken
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all. These are from the north end which is my favorite although I love it all up there.

Mr. Animal is a tule elk I think. They live on the north end.

Sammy, glad you enjoyed them.

Darbardi, nice to see you as always.

Hoov, the sense of isolation is remarkable out there, isn't it? Even on the occasions when other people are around it just seems overwhelmingly empty to me.

I went a couple of weeks ago and it was fogged in from one end to the other.

Harry and KW, thank you.

MichaelAT

• carla17
    16 years ago

Great photos Michael. I love the ocean and animal.

Carla

• Elise
    16 years ago

Those crashing waves are spectacular and your pictures have excellent composition. I could almost taste the salt spray.

Mr. Animal is a fallow deer, one of four species of deer/elk types at Point Reyes. The fallow deer is the only deer with flattened antlers. The axis deer has regular deer antlers but lots of spots all over. There's also native black-tailed deer. And of course the tule elk, which look just like elk you see in the Rocky Mountains but a little smaller. Still, compared to the fallow deer, a tule elk buck is enormous.

• michaelalreadytaken
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Crala :)

Special thanks to Elise for the descriptions!

A few more:

{{gwi:210087}}

{{gwi:210088}}

{{gwi:210090}}

{{gwi:210091}}

{{gwi:210092}}

I think it's obvious that I've maxed out the capabilities of my camera and Photoshop to try and make something interesting out of these. Time to try new solutions.

I hope you enjoy them.

MichaelAT

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Your pictures are amazing------Absolutely gorgeous.
    Thanks for sharing.

Florence

• pete41
    16 years ago

The waves remind me of the time in Hawaii I got nailed by one of those storm waves.When I was finally able to crawl out of the surf I just lay there for about an hour,saying ``Oh,heckums,gee whiz'' or something.I was too knocked out to remember.lol
    Ah,to be young and foolish,again-instead of being an old one.
    If you hit one right you can free flight,body surfing.For about twenty feet anyway.

• labrea_gw
    16 years ago

That was awesome!

• catkim
    16 years ago

Beautiful photos, Michael. Your pix keep getting better and better. It's been so many years since my last visit to Point Reyes, thanks for the photos.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Ocean and rocks remind me of Oregon coast. Love the crashing waves and gulls. It's hard to pick a fav.

Carla
    xoxoxo

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Oh, WOW. The last ones are my favorites and very moving. I do adore seeing wildlife like Mr Animal too, though.

Only problem is it makes me jealous ;) I haven't seen the sea in years, literally, except from a plane. Those photos make me crave it awfully!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone