Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday decorations

Posted by kittymoonbeam So. Cal. O.C. (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 07 at 8:33

Do you decorate your house the same way every year or change it? My parents do the same thing each year and I have something different. I notice some people keep adding to their yard display every year. The prettiest thing I've seen lately is a house decorated like a candy house with candy ornaments all around the yard. They have some large color lights overlaid with the clear icicle style lights and it's very neat.

I have a "tree" made of fir pine trimmings tied onto a bamboo teepee frame and this has tiny green and blue lights
all over it. Last year I put up bamboo poles with metallic steamers tied to the top and a big plastic ornament pushed down onto that. Somebody else made a neat tree out of potted red impatiens. Anybody want to share some other home made ideas for the garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday decorations

I think it is cool to hang real live wreaths in the garden. I love Christmas!!!

Carla

o

We do the same thing every year since we built our new house. Red lights around the eaves and rainbow lights around the windows and a big star on the deck. Since we are on a hill, you can see our house as you drive up the road in the valley. We always decorate on Thanksgiving weekend, and finally got wise about putting the lights on a timer!

I just finished decorating the inside of the house this weekend. I give a big Christmas party for my immediate family every year. This year it is on the 15th, so I spent the weekend cleaning, getting the tree, putting up decorations etc. I am trying to simplify the decorating inside. In the garden, the only thing I have done is spray down the patio and walkways. They were full of leaves, fir needles and debris from the big storm a week ago.

I am not a very comfortable hostess. In fact, I would say I am hostess challenged! But it is wonderful to have my Mom, brothers and sisters, their kids and the grandkids all together. But I'll be relieved when it's over.
Kathy

o

We go all-out. People come from all around to see our place. We do the whole house with the large colored bulbs overlayed with white icicle lights. The yard is a mixture of lighted figures and lights in trees. This year we are having trouble with power because we almost have more than our system can bear. We have 8 20-amp circuits dedicated to our Christmas lights. My niece jokingly says we are "tastefully overdone". Our yard does have some organization to it - it isn't just a mishmash of everything we can think of like some folks do. And we do add something every year - the neighbors always look forward to seeing what it will be. Maybe not this year, though, because of the power problem

o

I change it up every year. All crystals this year, on the
tree. I love Christmas, too.

o

Y'all's sound so nice !!! :)

I do [did] a combination, where I'll use my favorite ornaments or wreaths as either the main theme or accents, if that makes sense. So I get to have a new color scheme each year if I like, but some old favorites are always there :)

I say did 'cos I really still haven't gone all out since Mom died... the rest of the family isn't into it, and I've been more low-key. One day.

(PS - Just y'all cross your fingers that I see so much as a Christmas twig this year at the family's... looks like we're going to Baltimore to my ObnoxiousBrother's place! Oh, I love him, but he's like the Grinch with a really foul mouth and smackable hipster attitude!) Christmas lovers, beam me strength!!! ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here