Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Holiday decorations

kittymoonbeam
16 years ago

Do you decorate your house the same way every year or change it? My parents do the same thing each year and I have something different. I notice some people keep adding to their yard display every year. The prettiest thing I've seen lately is a house decorated like a candy house with candy ornaments all around the yard. They have some large color lights overlaid with the clear icicle style lights and it's very neat.

I have a "tree" made of fir pine trimmings tied onto a bamboo teepee frame and this has tiny green and blue lights

all over it. Last year I put up bamboo poles with metallic steamers tied to the top and a big plastic ornament pushed down onto that. Somebody else made a neat tree out of potted red impatiens. Anybody want to share some other home made ideas for the garden?

Comments (5)

• carla17
    16 years ago

I think it is cool to hang real live wreaths in the garden. I love Christmas!!!

Carla

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

We do the same thing every year since we built our new house. Red lights around the eaves and rainbow lights around the windows and a big star on the deck. Since we are on a hill, you can see our house as you drive up the road in the valley. We always decorate on Thanksgiving weekend, and finally got wise about putting the lights on a timer!

I just finished decorating the inside of the house this weekend. I give a big Christmas party for my immediate family every year. This year it is on the 15th, so I spent the weekend cleaning, getting the tree, putting up decorations etc. I am trying to simplify the decorating inside. In the garden, the only thing I have done is spray down the patio and walkways. They were full of leaves, fir needles and debris from the big storm a week ago.

I am not a very comfortable hostess. In fact, I would say I am hostess challenged! But it is wonderful to have my Mom, brothers and sisters, their kids and the grandkids all together. But I'll be relieved when it's over.
    Kathy

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

We go all-out. People come from all around to see our place. We do the whole house with the large colored bulbs overlayed with white icicle lights. The yard is a mixture of lighted figures and lights in trees. This year we are having trouble with power because we almost have more than our system can bear. We have 8 20-amp circuits dedicated to our Christmas lights. My niece jokingly says we are "tastefully overdone". Our yard does have some organization to it - it isn't just a mishmash of everything we can think of like some folks do. And we do add something every year - the neighbors always look forward to seeing what it will be. Maybe not this year, though, because of the power problem

• devon_in_the_garden
    16 years ago

I change it up every year. All crystals this year, on the
    tree. I love Christmas, too.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Y'all's sound so nice !!! :)

I do [did] a combination, where I'll use my favorite ornaments or wreaths as either the main theme or accents, if that makes sense. So I get to have a new color scheme each year if I like, but some old favorites are always there :)

I say did 'cos I really still haven't gone all out since Mom died... the rest of the family isn't into it, and I've been more low-key. One day.

(PS - Just y'all cross your fingers that I see so much as a Christmas twig this year at the family's... looks like we're going to Baltimore to my ObnoxiousBrother's place! Oh, I love him, but he's like the Grinch with a really foul mouth and smackable hipster attitude!) Christmas lovers, beam me strength!!! ;)