Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harry's Ranting and Mutterings

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 8:47

Ahhh. Its holiday time. As I sit and look across my office I can gaze at the holiday cards on the wall. All my favorite Christmas colors:

GOLD, SILVER AND BLUE!!!!

Is there really somebody out there who would be offended to see a card with red or green on it?

I keep asking myself if I lived in Isreal, would I be offended by a Hanukkah card? If I lived in Saudi Arabia, would I be offended by a Ramadan card?

This has gone too far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harry's Ranting and Mutterings

I don't really like green and red. I think its gaudy. :P

Now this is my altar guild directress coming out but.... Christmas is WHITE. Its a high holy day, the whole season is white. Silver and gold, well dang that just reminds me how much stuff I've got to polish.

:P I got a very nice Hanukkah card from a friend yesterday. Very pretty!

o

The Empire State Building is green and red the lobby of my building is awash in green and red gaudy glitter streamers The Nativity scene outside Saint Anthony of Padua on the next block is massive but the lights are ususally white and Blue this year white blue and gold.
I've heard so many stories about red and green usually someone blasting their pagan origins evergreens and apples yadda yadda yaddah! Maybe it will return to being a simple time again it had been before no big hooplah.

o

I thought the origin of the red/green theme was because it is the color of holly (green leaves, red berries). But I'm not too fond of the combination either. Everyone at school wears those holiday sweaters, but I like to wear red and black or red and white with a pin of Santa or a red rose or something. Besides, red looks good on me, and its the only time I'll wear bright red lipstick!
Kathy

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 12:18

Harry, the key thing I notice is you are looking at holiday cards in your *office*. Business etiquette for the holidays is different from personal rituals. Go home and look at all the red and green cards you've received, maybe it will cheer you up.

The business cards I'm sending say 'Happy Holidays' and feature a painting from 1818, 'Still Life With Cake'. It might be a Christmas cake, judging by the bits of green and touch of red on the icing, but maybe not. I don't necessarily know all my clients' religious beliefs, I just want to send them a happy greeting and let them know I appreciate their business.

The personal cards I'm sending are made on the computer, a pastiche of family photos and lots of red and green ink that reads 'Merry Christmas'.

I *can* recall getting a small rant from a middle eastern client back in the 80's when I sent him a holiday card. I think this was the same year I cheerily asked someone in the building restroom as we were both washing our hands, "So, are you ready for Christmas?" The answer I got was an ice cold "I don't celebrate Christmas." This country is not all of a single dominant religion, and some people are very touchy about that. So if you get in the elevator with me, I'm likely to cheerily ask, "So, are you ready for the holidays?"

o

Gee Harry, the two boxes of cards I just bought (hey, I missed the after-Christmas sales last year) are pale blue and white (with sparkly beads) and gold and white. Like catkim, I usually send "Seasons Greetings" or some such, too many different beliefs to deal with. I do buy Haunkkah cards for two families, and a Christmas/Hanukkah card for one household, and a Christmas card for my Aunt (which was red, green and white). I'm happy to get any cards at all, I don't care what color!

o

Don't be a scrooge! Be happy someone took the time to lick a stamp and walk to the mailbox. More than I do.

Kim, tooooooo funny, you're one of those annoying cherry holiday types, I knew it!

o

Well, rest assured Harry, that if *I* were able to send you a card, it would definately be red and green. I love those colors. I have lots of evergreen and sage, red and burgundy colors in my own home and when I bring out the Christmas decorations they just fit right in! My mother always pined after a blue and silver Christmas tree when I was a kid, but my older siblings' votes overruled that idea. Some people just like the "cool" colors that's all. It's sort of like the white lights vs. colored lights camps. Different strokes...

And Kim's point is right on. Think navy, black and grey business suits - it's just what's expected in business.

o

Yes Harry. You're correct.

Even more irritating is the notion that somewhere, in some gray and blue office tower, lots of "executives" are making 225K and 405K and more to sit in development meetings and make soft, purring noises to one another as they mutually validate the lowest common denominator they've foisted upon the rest of us.

You go boy.

MichaelAT

o

No nativity scenes makes sense. But, come on, its a happy holiday made of old traditions. A card with deep a red and green border, surrounding a winter scene which says "Happy Holidays" is not offensive. I don't care how lost those yuppie corporate types have become, they can't change holiday tradition for fear of losing a few bucks. Not for me.

The 2 cards I send are traditional happy cards!

o

I sent "Grinch" cards one year, somehow, everyone knew the card was from me, even before they opened it... It was green and red.

o

But its not only the cards, green wreaths with red bows are wrapping porches and on windows and doors everywhere, that put me in the holiday mood. Tradition runs deep for a few weeks.

o

How can anyone who grows roses NOT like green and red together?!

Cheers,
Michelle

o

Harry and Diane, I like the grinch. I collect grinch things and we have an inflatable grinch in the yard. Hey, fits my mood most days. Although I'm not against Christmas.

Carla

o

Michelle, those of us who don't like red roses, for one...

Nice Carla! I still hoard my Grinch wrapping paper, I haven't seen any for years now, Hallmark must have discontinued. Too bad.

o

I wish we could have a way of honoring all faiths at once.

Sammy

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 16:46

We do have a way of honoring all faiths at once: the first amendment to the US Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 22, 06 at 10:36

Diane, I'm with you on the red roses, give me pink :)

My cards said Christmas, they had Tigger on them. I celebrate Christmas, it was what was on sale last year, it's what i buy. I don't get offended if someone sends me one that says holiday; if that's what they buy, then fine. They made an effort to wish me something, which is more that a lot of people do these days.

I mean really. Taking the tree down at the airport was really low. It's a tree with lights. I remember when back in the day people of all religions used to drive around looking at "holiday lights". It's teaching your kids that other people celebrate something different than you do and to respect their beliefs also.

o

"They made an effort to wish me something"

Amen, Sistah!

I'm grateful for any & all good wishes!

not exactly the same thing, but sort of the same thing:

Many years ago, a Dallas City Councilman named Max Goldblatt spoke to the Unitarian Fellowship I attended.

He said he grew up in Odessa during the oil boom.
The Goldblatts were the only Jewish family in town.

His mother dressed him up on Sundays, "in my kneepants & my 'beanie'", & sent him off to the Baptist church.

He whined & complained & said that he was different & they were different & they wouldn't teach him about being a Jew & he didn't wanna go.

& his mother kissed him on the cheek & sent him out the front door, saying, "They will not teach you anything bad."

He said they welcomed him & treated him like any of their own children.

don't know what they taught him, but he grew up to be a bright light in Dallas politics for many years.

That must have been 25 years ago, & I still remember his message often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here