Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Drunk hit and run guy is DEAD

carla17
16 years ago

Attorney called this morning. Weird, huh? Weirder is my daughter took a walk yesterday and for some odd reason, went by his house. She said there was some weird sign on his door.

Carla

Comments (19)

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Can we hope for karma?
    Please let us know ...and you want to make sure your attorney knows, because y'all are still owed for medical expenses, etc.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Wow. Do you have any idea what happened?

Anything else I could say would sound awfully harsh and cold - I'd rather not start my day that way.

• Terry Crawford
    16 years ago

So strange...do you think he was drunk again and this time murdered himself driving? I always believe what goes around comes around. Like Ann says, notify your attorney right away so you can get a lien on his estate so you get your medical expenses paid out if there is any money to be had.

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not worried about the money. I hate to say this but this is one less dangerous person off the roads. My attorney jokingly said he hoped it wasn't the brutal deposition that made him kill himself. That is not fact, I have no idea yet the cause of death. He could have killed his liver.
    But his insurance co. has noone to champion for now, right?
    They had already started some dealing with the bills before his death. I would like to resolve this chapter and not have to drag it out in 2008!

Carla

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Carla, what a weird twist of fate! I wonder what happened? Karma comes to mind! Hope it all works out in your favor.
    K

• Molineux
    16 years ago

Karma is a byyyooootch! Accident, liver cancer, suicide, whatever the cause - the result is a safer world.

• paparoseman
    16 years ago

The poor guy, now how is he going to be able to walk out of court drive to the nearest bar and console himself with a drink for the road.

Too bad more drunk drivers can't come to a quick end like that before they ruin other peoples lives.

It is always explained away as a disease so why don't these people get treatment rather than drive over and over again after the first time they get arrested?

Anyway Carla at least your daughter and the family can go forward knowing he wont do this again.

Lance

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I still think it is sad Lance. The disease itself is sad. While I don't have sympathy for him, I blame the courts and DA's for repeat offenders. Makes me so mad, just livid. That's true though, he can't harm anyone else.

Carla

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Wow, you have some serious Karma Voodoo going on!

Seriously, it is sad that it's comforting that he is dead! I agree, but doesn't that just speak to how awful what he did is? I'm just so very glad that the girls are OK! Way too many folks gone by DUI drivers :(

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meredith, seems like everything is sad lately, dealing with a lot of sadness.
    Thank you Kathy.

Carla

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

Although it cost about $10,000 to get out from a OWI in Iowa, I still think that treatment is the answer. Faced with loss of one's house, job, driver's license, freedom, and/or marriage, the drunk or druggie will not quit until he or she realizes that they have a problem and have seperated themselves from God. It does not do any good to be "nice" to a drunk or druggie.

Locking them up for 20+ years to become better criminals hardly seems the answer either. Six months, mandatory treatment with probation appears more humane for all involved.

Most treatment centers are terribly underfunded. AA works, but it is hard to get the poison out by one's self unless one has seen the tail of the Ox.

The most important thing is for YOUR family and loved ones is to find forgiveness and not to throw up any barriers between yourself and your higher power.

Prayers headed out your way.

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

My son just sent me a message:
    winter statistic.....

98% OF AMERICANS SAY 'OH S@#T' BEFORE GOING IN THE DITCH ON A SLIPPERY
    ROAD.

THE OTHER 2% ARE FROM IOWA AND THEY SAY, 'HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS.'

Your daughter depending on her age, resident insured status, should be covered under either your or her own auto insurance if she was injured as a pedestrian. If you need the bills to get paid have your own carrier step in.

If available, it is always a good idea to check your own auto policy and max out the uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage available.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

IIRC Carla's daughter is young and she and three other girls were hit, the DUI stopped his car, looked down at them lying beside the road, injured, and drove off.
    There is no way in H that the dude should shirk responsibility, even if the dude is dead, he leaves an estate of some sort. He did it. He, and only he should take the responsibility and if his heirs get less, well no tears.

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

What is really sad is the fact that most of these criminals cannot buy anything other than basic liability limits and the average American suffers. When no one wants to insure these repeat offenders anymore they are assigned to assigned risk, with again basic limits. Or they have no insurance at all and they are happy only as long as they can continue drinking or getting their next fix. They are self centered and are soul less.

In many states one does have the option of buying high amounts of coverage on uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage to protect yourself.

Drinking, drugging, or eating a gun does not make the problems go away for anyone. There is a solution; find God now. The "estate" if any, will no doubt be left to face the facts. I believe family members suffer the most. Some either refuse to get out of a bad situation, or see no other alternative.

Ann, I believe in caneing. I don't believe in keeping 7% of our population or whatever it is now behind bars and ignored.

Carla, I believe attorneys can be useful at times. Let them do what has to be done and let you and your daughter rebuild your lives. I suppose it is one of those when bad things happen to nice people things. Our heart goes out to you and hope that you and your daughter find closure to this evil deed.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Well Carla, I do hope this whole sorry episode doesn't affect your DD and her friends in the long term, that they are all going to be OK and well again, the dear girls.

One day a long time ago that drunk-hit-and-run-guy was an innocent blue eyed baby boy cooing at his Mommy. The story of what happened to that baby is left untold here. It is a sad fate some of us face.

• User
    16 years ago

The roads are safer!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Well Carla, Merry Christmas. Have to say that this guy off of the roads is a nice gift. Sorry but it could have been someone else and hopefully he didn't take anyone else with him.

Have you heard anything else?

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our attorney told us that he was dead for a few days before he was found, thus the biohazard sign on his door. I don't think he has any family here. I also heard some of his "buddies" are having a funeral. It's so weird, we can see the lights on in his garage through the trees when we drive up the road. Very weird! I'll be glad when the house has some happy nice people move in.

Carla

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I'm sorry but this struck me funny.
    He earned the label "Biohazard" in different ways.