Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions for Canadians re: prescriptions

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 3, 06 at 9:17

To make a long story short. DH took another job. The company is thinking of changing their insurance carriers and the new policy may not go into effect until Jan. I take some very expensive drugs. My question: are the drugs Canada sells safe? I don't know anything about them and would like to hear some info.

Thank you,
Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions for Canadians re: prescriptions

Carla, we have a Food & Drugs Association, so anything on the market will have been passed by them as being supposedly safe. Having said that, I would imagine that most drugs have some kind of possible side effects.

So if you are talking about the same generic drug, then whatever you get in the States, should be the same here in Canada. In other words, any of us can look up certain drugs on the net, and whatever goes for US would be the same as here. So if it is on the market even as a prescription, then I would say that it is as safe as the generic counterpart in the US. Hope I am following you.
Good luck with whatever it is you are seeking.
Pauline - VI

o

LOL I'm sorry, but Americans seem to think we're some kind of 3rd world country as opposed to their biggest trading partner with the same or better standards of living and medical care that the US has. When you cross the border, you'd be hard pressed to figure out you're in Canuckland as opposed to the US, other than the flags being different. With approximately 25 million Canadians reliant on Canadian drugs, the drugs are fine. Typically the FDA and the equivalent Canadian authorities work hand in hand on approving new drugs, with Canada usually a bit more stringent in its approval requirements and therefore slower than the US. Regarding production, the big pharma-co's maintain the same standards across their various production locations, or, ship internationally, and receive the same level of gov't oversight and control in Canada as they would in the US.

However, I'd be careful about which distribution channel you select, the same as being careful about any kind of webshopping, etc. that you do.

Sue, hoping you find a way to minimize your wallet pain

o

Could you offer websites or do I just google drugs in Canada.

Carla

o

Carla, try Google Canada link below .ca (not .com)! Put in your drug name and hopefully you will get all the information you need.
Good luck.
Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Canada

o

Put "Canada" in your search too, as I just tried and not all are listed in Canada. Also sorry I cannot help with more specific sites as I have never ordered anything on line, cept roses! :)
Pauline

o

I am sorry if I offended anyone. I should have known better but I guess I'm not up on world affairs.
Thank you for your help Pauline.

Carla

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 3, 06 at 21:48

Carla, just a thought...if it's just a gap of a month, would a phone call with explanation to your doctor help? Many have an entire closet full of assorted samples, possibly you could get enough (free) to tide you over until the new policy is in force. I used to leave my doctors with 60 days worth of Celebrex in week-long sample packages, then skipped the night capsule because I slept so well without it - it worked out to 4 months before having to fill the prescription.

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 12:33

Carla--

What morz8 said! Call your doctor(s) and explain. Additionally--you should explore a Cobra policy. You shouldn't be uninsured--even for a month.

o

Mor and Mel, I did get samples from family doc but I take Buspar and Celexa. I am so livid right now about my psych. that I can't even talk about it. I will be researching for a new psych. They don't care about patients, only money.**^%*(&*^&%*(*&)($%^&*)_*^^*. There, that's better than ranting.
I'm thankful to Sue for the history lesson.

Carla

o
When I called

to the psych. for samples they told me since I take generic forms they do not have samples. I have to get an appt. to get a new script and take it to Wal Mart. WM carries both in generic but since I haven't been to psych. for 6 months, they terminated me. Office policy. I'm making some cakes for people for Christmas and guess what kind I'm making the psychiatrist, mud.

o
I worked something out

I think I figured something out. I called Wal Mart to get the other drug store to transfer a refill. Back to decorating.

Carla

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 18:35

Carla--there are some good psychiatrists out there--ours is wonderful. Gave DH his cell phone number once...it was a difficult time in our lives. I wish you lived closer--I'd send you to "Dr. Tom."

Hope all works out.

melanie

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 18:39

Carla, that sounds like a load of crap. Just because you're on the generic doesn't mean you can't take brand samples - there samples for *&^$)_)* sake!

I wonder how the drug reps would feel if they knew they weren't handing the samples out to people in need. Isn't that why they give it to them? Why not call or email the manufacturer and complain...

o

Sue, when I wrote that doctor for samples at first, I mentioned our situation and she didn't come forth. The next time I choose a new doc, I will ask questions first. I mean life changes and these things need to be considered. A friend of mine spent 10K on scripts in one year I believe, when not on insurance.

Carla

o

sueto - I wanted to address this yesterday but forgot. No one meant any disrespect to Canada or their drug stores. Here in the US, we've been hearing from people for a while that they get their drugs cheaper from Canada. I know of someone that did, and sent them an email a few months ago when my prescription insurance got maxed out and they made me pay 100% until Jan 1 when the insurance would kick in again. The person never got back to me; I actually thought about making a post here too. I wouldn't know the 1st place to look to find a legit place to buy meds from.

Carla, that doctor is not doing you any favors. I have one doctor that I see once a year. I called the other day for a 30 day script because I get mine mail ordered. They called it in to my pharmacy. I don't doubt that had I asked for samples I would have gotten some.

o

Some shrinks suck eggs and should be tied up by their %@!&$ and flogged. Truly! How's that for a rant, lol? My first one thought I was exaggerating side effects of a med and had me walking around with deadly levels for another 8 weeks till a coma solved our debate ;]

Yours is being unthoughtful and I'd can her no doubt.

Re: Canadian meds don't trust sites that don't require a prescription.

One of my old docs here gives oodles of samples if you want to drive to W-S.

o

Here in Wisconsin our governor encourages people to buy prescription drugs from canada. Below is the link to the webpage with the recommended companies to buy from.

You should look for a better doctor. There are good psychiatrists out there but they can be hard to find. I had a great one through the University of Utah, but I've had really horrible ones that over-medicated me too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drugsavings.wi.gov

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 6, 06 at 18:01

athenainwi, well I thought that would help unless I'm missing something; this is what I see:

I-SaveRx: It's safe. It's simple. It saves you money.

I-SaveRx means savings.
Developed by Governor Blagojevich, I-SaveRx is available and open to all Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri and Vermont residents. The I-SaveRx program offers a safe, simple and affordable way to purchase the medication refills you need - at savings of up to 80 percent!

o

Roselvr, don't click on the I-SaveRx icon, instead click on the button just above it that says 'Order Drugs from Canada'. That will bring to a screen where you select the medication you want to order and brings up a price list of three Canadian pharamacies that have been approved by the state of Wisconsin as being safe. There's a link from there to the forms you have to fill out to order.

o

Thanks. Unfortunatly, they only have 1 of my meds, and I just filled it for a lot more then they charge.

Nice to know if they take my insurance again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here