Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More on bad bad dog

Posted by peachiekean z9 CA So. Cal. (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 14:09

Kathy, sorry to put a bummer on your thread. But what I say is true. In the end it does not matter what destruction they wreaked. Our Cookie chewed through wooden doors, broke windows to run away (noise phobia and anxiety disorder in her early days before we discovered Clomicalm). She had nine lives. In 1996 we rescued her from a hospital where a dog organization had saved her from death in the inner city pound. We took her home after her front legs were healed from being broken. She soon showed us her destructive ways by escaping anyway she knew how if a noise set her off and we were not at home - thunder, fireworks even wind. Once we had a call from a local saloon up the street where some bar floozies found her at the back door. We had been out to a party or something that night and the ladies played with her while trying to contact us. Another time she found herself about 3 miles from here when some people found her at their door. Over the years we tried everything (crates were a piece of cake to her) but in the end, she lived a very happy life with us. Total destruction to the house we sold in 2004 was $5000 in repairs to door jambs, sliding glass window door handles, windows, doors etc. In our new house she found mostly peace - only once chewing on our new shutters (actually twice, now that I recall). She was the softest, sweetest dog. We miss here terribly. Thanks for listening.
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More on bad bad dog

I have had the pleasure of having three dogs in my lifetime. Not sure what was on the previous thread.
1) a beagle which we had to put down the old fashioned way for chicken killin.
2) a red cocker (looked like a minature irish setter) who was "entire" until I left for college and my stepfather had to pay the animal control fines himself.
3) an English Springer Spaniel, Augusta L. Pooch who lived to a ripe old age. I have forgotten all of her faults if any. My wife no doubt remembers a few as I am only allowed cats now.

Cats are OK, I guess.

Bummer!

o

Mary, I am so sorry about your loss. I do know what it feels like. I still can't talk about losing Toby without getting teary. Dogs are something I choose not to live without, but it is ever so hard to lose them. It is inevitable, though.

And for the destruction, ours has only been a bunch of magazines we would never look at again (dh is a hoarder of sorts) and a tasty rice paper picture album (not the pictures inside). Lacy is very mischievous but seems to know exactly how far she can go.

Mary, you are a good person for taking in your prescious Cookie and making her a part of your family for better or worse. I also believe that it is a forever commitment when I take a dog in. But we really never know how long that forver will be, do we.

It will get better. Just feel the sadness as long as you need to. Could we get a photo of Cookie?

Kathy

o

Kathy, thanks for your kind words. Everyone has been crying this week as Cookie was all about love. Here is one of our decent pics of here - it's not easy to get a picture of a black animal.

o

What a sweetie. Thanks for posting it.
Once again, Mary. So sorry for your loss.
Kathy

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 26, 07 at 13:57

Oh dear, Mary, sorry to hear about Cookie, what a dear pup she was. It's devastating to lose them. I'm still not recovered from the loss of Teddy-Bear. Do something for a rescue organization if you can, in her honor, as a memorial--it does help with the healing process...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here