Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Four unrelated mutterings

anntn6b
17 years ago

Is there a nice way to ask someone whose home you are visiting for the first time if the contorted copper thing with copper 'canes' coming from it ...sort of near their front door is a coat rack or a sculpture?

What is the name for the new "tennis shoes" that appear to have goiters where the shoes' heals used to be?

Has anyone with shedding cats had success with the auto room vacuum cleaners called roomba?

And finally and sadly, Richland, the agglomeration of houses on Richland Creek that you drive through to get to our place lost a beautiful building to fire this weekend. It was lovely, classical (real meaning of the word) architecture. A real loss.

Comments (11)

• catkim
    17 years ago

"Wow, I've never seen anything like that before! Does it do anything?"

Dunno, sorry.

I know people with cats and people with roombas, but they are not the same people, so, dunno.

That's very sad. Old architecture can be rebuilt but it's never quite the same, materials and craftsmanship lost to time.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Now I'm curious about the copper thingy too...I do hope you find an acceptable way to ask.

I wonder if you aren't seeing the MBT sneaker that is shown in my Bliss catalog...for $255, you may not find it in my closet.

Can't answer the cat question either, I just know for many years I wore siamese colored clothing that did not require dry cleaning to my mothers. Never black.

I'm sorry about the fire...such a cruel end to something elegant.

Here is a link that might be useful: MBT sneaker

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Oh my Ann dear!!!

David just got me a Roomba and I have 2 inside shedding cats! Let me tell you, this little Roomba scoots around picking up cat hair AND cat litter!!! I was forever stepping on cat litter on tile and it hurt! But this new amazing "toy" is a God send I tell ya! I am constantly amazed at the hair it picks up and sandy dirt! I don't know where all the sand and hair hides for the Roomba to suck it up like it does. But it truely picks up cat hair and dirt like it was nothing!

My house is about 1750 sq feet and I just let the Roomba go. It will vacuum for an hour....run over to recharge itself. I empty the bin once in that hour....just for safety's safe, don't want to fill that bin up and then just be spewing sand/dust everywhere.

Are you thinking of getting one??? Run...don't walk...go get that amazing little robot!!! Your floor will even look buffed after having the Roomba clean them!

Deb

• tandaina
    17 years ago

Deb I have an old house (VERY old), nothing is level. Each room is at a SLIGHTLY different height from the others. Would the Roomba be OK with that? I'm afraid it would keep falling down until it ended up trapped in the lowest room. Eeep! :P

Also how does it handle stairs? I have two very steep stair wells I wouldn't want it to fall down either. Does it stop at the top of stairs?

• carla17
    17 years ago

If it were me, I would ask if the copper "thing" is a work of art first. Then it leaves them open to explain furthur.
    Merry Roomba Christmas Ann. Sorry about the beautiful bldg.

Carla

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Tandaina, I don't know about stairs! I think it might fall down them, but I'm not sure. It has a "seeing eye" but I don't know about the stairs. I have wood floors and tile floors. I have rugs in some places too. The Roomba goes from the wood floor to the rugs without a problem. It will go over the little strip of wood in the door ways without a problem. I am just in love with mine. I don't know why in hades I waited so long to get one!!

How have you been doing??? I hope all is well with you!

Deb

• orchids2000
    17 years ago

'That's a nice work of art is it a functional piece?' Allows a compliment for the nice selection and to ask if it is used for anything other than being decorative.

Sorry to hear that there was another fire in your area. There were some nice houses that I saw on the way to your place a while back. Hopefully the rebuild will be as nice. :)

• mjsee
    17 years ago

Roombas do not fall downstairs...at least not from what I've read. It has "infra-red cliff sensors" to keep it from tumbling down the stairs.

Orchids2000--great way to handle the "art/function" question.

I agree--GOTTA be MBT sneaks.

melanie

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Lol!

Call me persnickety but a hostess should take your coats before you have time to ponder that far ;]

And don't get me started on 'decorative' ashtrays, btw... I'll never live that one down!

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now, I'll be sending Larry off in search of a roomba or two.
    On the shoes: perhaps unbelievably, the MBT sneakers are not the ones I saw. (That site is a hoot. Hide your credit cards.) The dude wearing the shoes was definitely NOT interested in controlling his cellulite. More in the line of hiphop aesthetics. The heels were somewhat reminiscent of an overstuffed silver speedo. Reflective silver and all.

I like Orchids way of phrasing the question.

You may have seen Dolly Parton at the Kennedy Center Honors. I am angry that there was no mention made of her long standing personal effort to make sure that every child in her home county gets a book for them selves every year- just to encourage them to learn to read. The kind of thing that does make a real difference. No wonder she's much loved in these parts.

• carla17
    17 years ago

Sadly Ann, there isn't much media announcing Dolly's efforts. Only what drugs and alcohol Ritchie did.
    Susanna does have a way about her, she's a great wealth of info. and help!

Carla