Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gourmet shops or online, and a Hungarian recipe - help!

Posted by meredith_e 7B NC (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 12, 06 at 21:02

Hiya! I'm trying to find some French ingredients for a cassoulet and was wondering if y'all know who may carry them?

Saucisse de Toulouse or duck sausage, even garlic sausage in a pinch. Confit duck. Confit goose? Am I dreaming?

There is an onlne source that even has wild boar bacon and sausage but I get scared about arrival times.

I'm also doing Quail eggs... is there any possibility that we can find a Hungarian recipe for Quail egg soup? Dad and I always got it in Szentendre and I want to surprise him. I did find one Emeril does with leeks that may be it... Magyars are big on leeks, lol ;]

Ah, any help is appreciated. Our shops here tend to go with pates or canned things and I haven't found anything confit.

My mom's cassoulet used fresh duck but I want to try a traditional recipe this year if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gourmet shops or online, and a Hungarian recipe - help!

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 12, 06 at 21:57

Meredith honey, how far are you from Chapel Hill, NC? 'Cause I think A Southern Season carries most of that stuff...though not certain if they'll ship. You could always make a road-trip--if you come in on my day off I'll take you to lunch!

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: A Southern Season

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 13, 06 at 7:48

There's a pretty large Hungarian community in New Brunswick NJ. You may be able to do some kind of search to find a phone number for one of the stores. Who knows, maybe they ship?

If my mother & I were talking I'd ask her.

o

Amazon.com sells gourmet foods via several different sources, here is the link to the sausage, and you can search for "duck confit" too! You can also check Zabars.com. Bon appetit!

o

Diane, Zabars is awesome! I don't do anything time-imperative through Amazon since they tried to ruin last Xmas with shipping fiascos and related lies. But I DID find that their sellars have their own storefronts, too. Cool! Thank you!

Mel, I would LOVE a roadtrip to see you, and thank you so much for the lunch invite! I don't know if it's feasable this Xmas... still deciding if I should just have it shipped. Maybe once all the hubbub has died down we can plan a visit! I go more places these next two weeks than the last 6 months, lol.

Sue, ooo I wish you could ask her but let's not put you through that, lol! I'm bad for not remembering the name of the soup... we had it in Prague too.

Really, I bet Dad won't remember the difference as long as Emeril's is yummy. It was basic with broth and green onions I thought, so I can play arond with the leek version.

I laughed about Magyars and leeks because I've never seen so many roots eaten anywhere else... The Land of Parsnips, I tell you. But we love it!

o

Oh, Meredith, Bless you. You cannot see my smile. You really are not speaking Oklahoman now. What a shock! Quail eggs??? Saucisse de Touslous? Duck sausage?

Isn't it funny that we can all have so much in common yet have such differences? I hope you find what you are looking for. It is just that I have never heard of these foods.

Have a great holiday!
Sammy

o

Lol, Sammy! Well, cassoulet only became a tradition in our family because Mom cooked it one Xmas for Dad at Seneca Army Depot, from Julia Child's recipe... and it's just that good!

They had been given the traditional clay pot as a wedding gift and she was alone for many hours that Xmas because Dad had to work, so she had time to cook it.

Later, when I was able to go to France, I happened to love the area where the recipe originated! I had cassoulet days in a row... not that anyone could really top Mom's ;] She loved a picture I have of one spot with a big orange cat and the menu scrawled on the window [we're cats in the restaurant types].

The Hungarian connection is 'cos Dad got an opportunity to start a manufacturing plant there because of his old Hanes Knitwear connection [then Sara Lee]. They would make T-shirts for SL among others.

Mom and I urged him to do it because his little brother had lived in Costa Rica for Motorola and surely Dad was as gutsy ;) It would be temporary [and the $ was astounding frankly]. He flew back every 3 weeks and Mom kind of liked that for a change of pace, lol.

Then I graduated college and got to go live with him! Special times :) Thus, quail egg soup... Although we did hang out at the Vazi street Dunkin Donuts a lot!

Oh and wild boar. A great friend named Istvan roasted one for a party - yum! - and he's who I named my dog after.

Well, the order is in to ship and I couldn't afford the eggs too for Xmas Eve, but I'm excited! I swear, confit or not, cassoulet is that craveable.

o

Oh, what memories and traditions. I am happy for you, and hope you find all of the ingredients when you need them.
Sammy

o
Oops, forgot to change the subject

Oh, what memories and traditions. I am happy for you, and hope you find all of the ingredients when you need them.
Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here