Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Cold remedies?

michelle_co
17 years ago

Hi,

I have a cold or maybe a sinus infection. Any great home remedies? I am drinking a cocktail of a giant cup of hot lemon tea, lemon juice, honey, + a tbsp of brandy this evening. Makes my throat feel MUCH better... I will go the Dr. if I'm not better in a few days.

Guess I will be making green chili tomorrow.

Cheers,

Michelle

Comments (14)

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Everyone says that chicken soup is really good for a cold----I usually use Vicks on my chest. If it is just a cold I usually just let it run its course---I don't like to use antibiotics. Have you tried Zinc lozenges??
    I've never had a sinus infection but most people seem to need an antibiotic to cure that.

Hope you feel better soon.

Florence

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Cat's Claw herb, definitely, for me if it's early, for those symptoms. It helps probably 7 out of 10 times.

Sushi with lots of wasabi for congestion, like the chili I bet!

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks!

Florence, you described my dinner perfectly. Chicken soup and zinc lozenges! Didn't try the Vick's yet, but I will pick some up. :-)

Meredith, wasabi is a good idea. Actually, I have a green thai curry that is really REALLY hot that you just reminded me of. I will brew up a curry/chicken/chili soup. That should fry the buggies. I had not heard about cat's claw for the cold. I'm going to get some. DH will likely be the next one sick, maybe we can ward the worst of it off for him.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

I drink herb tea....Mandarin Orange Spice by Celestial Seasonings to be exact. It has worked wonders keeping me healthy during the winter. I am prone to Chronic Bronchitis, but I believe the tea has helped keep it at bay for the last two years.

I imagine the magic ingredient is the rosehips.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa

• User
    17 years ago

zinc lozenges but not any of the inhaled zinc can really screw your sense of smell. Yep chicken soup is soothing!

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Michelle: You may not feel up to cooking too much...but for chicken broth I make my own.

I bake a whole chicken and then pull a majority of the meat off the bones, toss all the bones,wings :) and skin into the crockpot (or soup pot), fill with water, add carrots, onions, garlic, and celery. If you have limpy veggies, these are great for this. I cook on high in the crockpot, or boil on the stove until everything appears to be well cooked :) There's no exact science to my cooking! Usually the bones have cooked apart so it doesn't appear to be completely intact like I put it in. I pour everything through a strainer and viola! chicken broth. (I throw all the strained stuff into the compost pile.)

It can be frozen if you don't need it right away. Refrigerating it will bring all the fat to the top so you can skim it off. The broth will be gelled when it is cold, but it melts when warmed.

All my friends make fun of me for doing this....but they rave about my soups. :)

Lisa

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

My family and I have been using a product called "Airborne". It is a tablet that you disolve in water like alka-seltzer. It fizzes. You take it at the first sign of a cold and it really shortens the duration of the cold and makes for less symptoms. You can also take it if you are going to be in a situation around lots of people like travelling in an airplane or going to a concert. You can get it at Walmart or any pharmacy. It contains a bunch of vitamin C and other vitamins and herbs like echinacea. I have been very impressed with it. I took it as soon as I got the sore throart that indicated I was getting a cold, and was over the symptoms in 1 week with no sinus or bronchial infection and no coughing! My son had the same results. What a relief.
    Kathy

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks!

Lisa, I picked up some of that mandarin tea after reading your post. It's very tasty. Why didn't I think of rosehips tea??? I am going to try making broth, too. Haven't done it in years, and it sounds delish.

Labrea, I am afraid of inhalables, no problem sticking with lozenges. :-)

Kathy, I thought about having some of that stuff on hand for next time. Haven't ever used it, though I've heard others swear by it, too. Probably should have some of that on hand for DH. He's supposed to be flying to see his family next week, and I am SO hoping he doesn't get sick.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention----whe I was preparing to fly to texas I was so afarid I might catch a cold so I bought some-"Sootherbs" they are Vitamin C----echinacea and Zinc-----they might be just like Airbourne----I'm not sure about that.
    Florence

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Michelle: How are you feeling? Did all the remedies work? :)

Lisa

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Better - thanks for asking. BTW, lunch consisted of broth (your recipe), chicken, and a wild rice mix. Yummmmmmm.

Still have the darned hacky cough & sinus concrete, I will go to the Dr. Friday if I'm not better.

:-) Michelle

• Molineux
    17 years ago

I don't know what kind of cold strain is going around but it is a doozy. Two and a half weeks ago I caught the cold from my niece. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving. It isn't the flu either. Classic cold symptoms and a mean cough that just doesn't want to go away.

I'm FINALLY starting to feel better. My home remedy that usually works is a good steak: either tenderloin or New York strip, cooked medium and smothered in a red wine demi-glaze that I make from the drippings.

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Michelle: I'm glad you liked the broth...and the tea. And I'm really glad you are feeling a little better. :)

I must say, I really, really liked Molineux's suggestion. Yum. I think I feel a cold coming on..... :)

Lisa

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Patrick, Care to share the demi-glaze recipe? I am going to drop by the butcher shop and pick up a nice steak (NY is my fav). If that's what it takes to get better, I'll make the sacrifice. :-)

Besides, I am supposed to donate blood in two weeks. My puny RBC needs bolstering.

Cheers,
    Michelle