Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelalreadytaken

An Unlikely Duo--Krauss & Plant

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss' Raising Sand is, to my taste, a great CD. It'd make a great stocking stuffer.

It's not an easy one to categorize, the songs cross a spectrum from Gospel to funky remakes and blues. (not a music critic here).

You can listen to the entire thing here.

MichaelAT

Comments (7)

• catkim
    16 years ago

Oh, good taste Michael. I picked this up about a month ago, just had to get it after hearing "Gone, Gone, Gone" a few times. The vocals get to me, something about the registers (not a music critic here either). I'd have left out track #4, and there are waaay too many slow ballads -- or should I say more up tempo rocking would be a fine addition, a little more Led Zepplin in the mix. But I really like the CD, and it grows on me more and more. Produced by T Bone Burnett, I knew it had to be good.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Michael, thanks. I watched something on TV about the producing of this CD several weeks ago and had meant to buy it for my brothers christmas stocking. Forgot.

But I still have time....

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

I agree, Michael, I really like this CD. And I agree with catkim that it could have a few more upbeat songs. But the singing is wonderful. I give it 4 stars (out of 5). BTW, I bought and downloaded it to my iPod.
    Kathy

• michaelalreadytaken
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Their voices complement each other so well.

Plant certainly still "has it."

There are those brief moments when they fuse and form a third voice. I just love it.

The more I listen to it the more I like all of it; it seems like most albums these days move the other way.

MichaelAT

• Elise
    16 years ago

I bought this too and it does grow on you. I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station at the Berkeley Greek theater this past summer and it was a wonderful show. Yesterday I read that Robert Plant is going to tour with Alison next summer.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I downloaded it the first day, I was psyched. I really like it because Plant is so understated! Also, there was an article in the NYT a couple of weeks before the release. T Bone asked each of them for a list of songs that would potentially be recorded. Both Plant and Krauss turned in lists of mostly melancholy songs. Hence the downbeat tone. They announced European tour dates last week, I can't wait for the US dates. I saw AKUS a long time ago (pre-O Brother) and they were great then too!

• labrea_gw
    16 years ago

love the cut sister rosetta goes before us! Also just bought the new Sweeney Todd soundtrack with Johnny Depp and Helena Bohnam Carter...not great not bad can't beat Angela Landsburry if you see the move try to find the DVD of Angela in the stage version with Geroge Hearn...wow saw them on stage...wow. Allison Krauss did a great song called Slumber my Darling I think it's now out of print in the US it;s a Stephen Foster lullabye