Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

Light Pink Climber for fence in HOT summers

oberci
9 years ago

(I'm in Sacramento)

I fell in love with Jasmina but everything I read about her says she doesn't do well in the heat. I would like something that is similar to her coloring to train along a fence. A pinkish purple color. If no such rose exists, I'm open to hearing suggestions for pink, particularly light pink roses that would do well in my climate. Repeat bloomers!

At this point I'm leaning toward Eden Climber but I'm not sold on it. Help!

Comments (19)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

What about Colombian Climber?
    I bought mine in the winter of 2008. It had to live in a pot for a year,
    It started flowering straight away.

{{gwi:259502}}

It has never, never, never, ever had a day without a bloom since.
    Here it is the first year after planting.

{{gwi:244928}}

a couple of years later...

{{gwi:2119727}}

...and earlier last year....

{{gwi:2119728}}

... and in the heat of August.

{{gwi:2119729}}

It has never had any disease. It has a beautiful, sweet scent which is just as strong, whether it is midsummer,or midwinter.
    Daisy

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

OMG, I'm going to have to get THAT one!!!! too bad I didn't see it earlier this year when I ordered from Peter Beales...(are they the only ones who sell it?)
    Are we sure that jasmina doesn't do well in heat? I have now three of them, but all are not old enough for me to express a fair opinion,but the fact is that Rose Barni DOES offer it,and they-at least in theory-try to offer stuff that is adapted to the Italian climate. I don't know how the climate here compares with that of Sacramento, but it sure as heck gets hot here...regards, bart

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Daisy ~~ is that Perle d'Azur clematis with your 'Colombian Climber'? Great combination.

Dandy ~~ Kathy9norcal posts regularly from Sacramento and in my notes she rated 'Pearly Gates' as wonderful, generous bloomer, and lasting. Hope she sees this as she knows which roses take Sacramento summers.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Dandy I believe that my Colombian Climber is also known as Colombia Climbing.

Bart. Yes, mine came from Peter Beales. I bought it unseen, but I am so glad I did.

iris gal yes, that is Clematis Perle d' Azur with it. Not many clematis like it here, but that one does. Here it is again with Mandevilla laxa this time.
    Daisy

{{gwi:2119730}}

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Dandy, I am just down the 99 from you a couple of hours. I would look into any of the Ralph Moore roses as he bred them for health, disease resistance, and beauty here in the central valley. Yes, he is known as the father of the mini rose, but he also bred beautiful "normal" sized ones as well. Many of his roses are thornless too! You may want to look at Crested Sweetheart or Moore's Renne. I have his Powderpuff, which doesn't bloom enough for me but definately takes our heat and water restrictions. This year, it is throwing out all sorts of laterals!

I am currently going to be getting another of his or Burling's roses. I am looking at Shadow Dancer or Flamingo Dancer and will probably go with Flamingo. They are striped pink and cream for FD, and bloom all summer long.

I also have had very good luck growing Austin's Peach Blossom as a pillar rose. First and last to bloom in my garden.

{{gwi:291338}}

This is a close up of the bloom.

• oberci
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful but I'm looking for more of a lavender toned pink for this spot. A cooler pink rather than a warm pink. The color of the JASMINA rose or something similar. I also like the more cupped type of blooms.

I also recently came across Peggy Martin recently and am blown away by the pics of it. Can anyone weigh in on its rebloom?

I found a thread on here that was comparing Peggy Martin to Climbing Pinkie and I suppose I should consider that one as well.

As you may have noticed, I'm sort of picky about color and the realm factor. At least for this spot, I'm hoping for something that blooms more than just once

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Thank you Daisy. How lucky that Perle likes your soil & climate. I think she is lovely with pink roses.

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Climbing Pinkie does very well in my hot climate, if that is the color you're looking for. Great rose.

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

I sure wish that Clbg Pinkie and Peggy Martin were available here in Europe...

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have cl pinkie and Peggy Martin, both planted last spring. I have 3 cl pinkies going up three different sides of my arbor, it is a very vigourous and healthy plant. It grew 12 ft and is at the top of my arbor and I expect it to keep going. It only bloomed one time but I am guessing that is due to it concentrating in growing, it's supposed to be a non stop bloomer when established. Peggy Martin is also very healthy and a vigourous grower although it didn't get as tall as the pinkies. The information I have read about Peggy is that she puts on a huge spring flush and maybe a fall flush in my hot Texas weather but she repeats more in a climate with milder summers. Hope this helps. Have fun choosing. Also neither one is thorny, the pinkies are supposed to be thornless but mine have little wicked sharp thorns under the leaves but the stems are smooth. I would suggest cl pinkie if you want something that is going to grow fast with a lot of coverage.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Can I ask what type of fence?

I think a lot of people come and ask for a pink climber after seeing a great picture on pinterest or similar of a white picket fence, with a purple base planting and the pink rose poking along the fence. I love that photo too.

But I realized with the crazy amount of white picket fencing I have that a climber is really not the way to go to achieve that look. If you do pick a climber, attach it to one side of the fence and do not wrap so you can prune it later.

I would pick a pink shrub rose like Belinda's Dream that will throw tons of pink blooms over the fence and yet you can prune it back. I am not sure how she does in your heat so ask.

If you where talking about a privacy fence....never mind what I wrote

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention Lavendar Lassie, I don't grow it but it is on my list. It looks like it would be more Lavendar pinkie color and sounds like a pretty rose for a fence.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Lavender Lassie is a beautiful rose but I understand it's not an outstanding rebloomer. I'm also not sure how well it would do in hot summers; it may take a vacation from blooming until it's cooler again.

• oberci
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jaspermplants - does your CP repeat well after the spring flush?

boncrow66 - I think we have similar climates so thank you for your input! I'd be curious to hear how Climbing Pinkie compares to Peggy Martin once your plants are established, so hopefully you can post on that some day :) Lavender Lassie is very nice but I also read that it only has 2 flushes a year. I like my roses to be workhorses in the garden so I def like repeat.

Kippy- I know EXACTLY which picture you are talking about and I DO have it pinned haha. But no, that's not the look I'm going for. I have a basic wooden privacy fence that encloses my backyard and I'd like to dress it up in a few places.

This is the look I'm going for (this is Peggy Martin):

• oberci
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still so keen on Jasmina...sigh. Would it do okay if I put it in bright semi-shade? I mean, look at those beautiful cupped blooms...

By the way this pic is from the_dark_lady, a member off this forum so

• oberci
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way, BELINDA's DREAM looks amazing!! I may have to find a place for her. Can anyone provide insight on the climbing version?

• john_ca
    9 years ago

Hi Dandy,

I am within an hour and a half south of you. I grow Jasmina on a fence and it is doing fine. It does not repeat as quickly as others but it does grow well here.. The flowers are in the small to mediium size (2-3 inches) and the longest canes are around 8 feet long or so. My specimen is from Pickering Nurseries in Canada and so it is on Rosa multiflora rootstock, which does well here. It is very vigorous and thorny.

Others that we grow that you may want to consider are Collette, Spirit of Freedom, Eden, The Wedgewood Rose, Annie Laurie McDowell, Elie Beauvillain, and Mme. Jules Gravereaux.

Good luck with your choice!

John

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I second to Dandylioness style. This is also the look I am going for. I have planted a few climbers over the fence as well. I hope it will be as beautiful as the pic.

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

IMHO, if you really want Jasmina,you ought to give it a try. On HMF, it is listed as being hardy to zone 9b. There is no "heat tolerance" rating given, but among the comments, the only thing I can see that addresses the heat tolerance issue is a comment by a poster who says that his one-year-old plant, in hot, dry, difficult soil, wasn't thrilling him. Kim responded to this by pointing out that, under these conditions, many a great rose would indeed flounder,plus, one year is just not enough time to see what a rose can do! Difficult, dry soil can be amended and mulched to improve it dramatically,btw. And, worse come to worse, you ARE in the USA, where as far as I know there are no serious problems with Rose Replant "disease",so if it winds up being totally unconvincing, replacing it with something else shouldn't be too big of a deal.
    Might I ask, where did you read that this rose can't really tolerate heat ? regards, bart