Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decobug6b

Searching for new NEWISH rose for garden...

This is a list of roses that have been released in the last couple of years:

Anna's Promise
Big Momma
Bull's Eye
Butter Me Up
Cinnamon Dolce
Coretta Scott King
Dark Night
Fired Up
Good as Gold
Grand Dame
Happy Go Lucky
Ketchup & Mustard
Koko Loco
Lady Sadie
Love Song
Neil Diamond
Oh My!
Sparkle & Shine
Sugar Moon
Tahitian Treasure
Take It Easy
Twilight Zone

Some are harder to find than others. Do you grow any of these roses? I haven't seen any of them growing in person. If you have any of them, which are your favorites?

This post was edited by decobug on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 11:21

Comments (29)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I only have Twilight Zone and Big Momma. I planted TZ last year and it hasn't bloomed much yet, but seems healthy. I planted Big Momma in 2013 and it is one healthy rose. In all honesty the blooms aren't my favorite, but they are unique and I like them okay. The bush itself seems to be very disease resistant and is attractive. It's a good bloomer too. Another plus, the blooms are fragrant. This is a picture of Big Momma

• buford
    9 years ago

I saw Jewel Grace this past weekend at the DSD Mid Winter Meeting. The vendor that was selling roses had a few. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get one :( It looked beautiful. I DID get Magnificence, can't wait to see it bloom. I've seen Twilight Zone at shows, it's gorgeous. I have one, but it's tiny and still in a pot. I haven't seen Good as Gold, but the pictures look great.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I had Good As Gold and sp'd it. The bloom size was more floribunda and the flower form looked like a zinnia. Other than that, it's a good rose. I had Sugar Moon for 3 growing seasons and it never did thrive. The biggest plus was its fragrance. Negatives were that the blooms never got big, long between cycles, BS magnet, and thrips loved it. Last year I got Jewel Grace on fort. rootstock. I really liked the bloom, which lasts a long time and the open bloom is pretty. No major disease issues. Here's a picture!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Here's a picture in bud stage of Jewel Grace.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I was one of the "lucky" one that got Dark Night from Edmunds before it was supposed to be released. I like the bloom but was really impressed with the foliage. Mine gets afternoon shade so the blooms don't have a problem with burning. When the bush was young the blooms weren't the largest HT's blooms but as time goes on everything about the bush and blooms gets better. If you like the color combo of the blooms, I wouldn't hesitate in ordering it. Just give it a couple of years to REALLY show it's merit.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

That is one good list. Thanks. I have been eyeing on Anna's promise but I don't think she is BS resistant. There isn't much info available yet. I am a big fan of Downton Abbey but I don't want to buy it because of its name. I will wait for more feedback.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

A rose that's been discussed over at the Antique Roses forum (with pictures) which is fairly new (2012 I think) is Grande Dame. I bought two of them because the people who had it lauded it as being an absolute bloom machine, very disease resistant and extremely vigorous. Also very fragrant, and gets about 6 feet tall and 4 feet across. You can also see pictures on helpmefindroses.com. It's apparently unfazed by hot summers which is one reason I bought it for my heat trap of a garden. I can't wait to see it bloom this spring and summer.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Hi Idahoan,
    I like Twilight Zone very much, though it isn't a big bloomer, but the deep purple blooms that don't fade in the heat of our summers is the whole point of this rose. I have three Ebb Tide that start out the same color as TZ in spring, but then proceed to fade like crazy as it heats up. Diane
    Here's Twilight Zone.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

ANNA'S PROMISE - Got it last yr, and it did pretty well for a first season plant. Nice blooms, but I think they blow a little fast.

BIG MOMMA - Just ordered this one based on Sara-Ann's pictures.

BULL'S EYE - Got it a few yrs ago, it's in a big square pot. It's a cool rose. I like the color changes it goes thru. It repeats very well with lots of blooms.

CINNAMON DOLCE - Got it a few yrs ago and love the stippling. The form is beautiful too. Only problem so far is the fact that I put it in the ground last yr after being in a pot for a couple yrs. It didn't bloom at all last yr. Hopefully it's just getting itself established and will bloom this season! I love it tho.

CORETTA SCOTT KING - Got last yr. In a pot still and did ok. Grew very big in one season and had some decent blooms. The color wasn't as vivid as the pics show, but could just be because it was it's first yr.

DARK NIGHT - Still in a big pot after two yrs. Gotta find the perfect spot. It's a rose I had wanted badly a few yrs ago when I first saw it on the Meilland website. Love the color! And it repeats very well, and the blooms last quite awhile. I LOVE this one!!

FIRED UP - Ordered it last yr, but it died without ever breaking dormancy. Nobody has it this yr. I should've gotten my money back, but didn't. I would love to replace it, but don't know why none of the suppliers offered it this yr. Regan's lists it on their website, but you can't purchase it.

KETCHUP & MUSTARD - Had this one for a few yrs now. Still in a pot waiting to go in the ground. Repeats nicely, has nice blooms, but they blow reeeally fast!

KOKO LOCO - Almost lost mine a few yrs ago. It need to get in the ground too. Love the weird colors. My favorite color class.

NEIL DIAMOND - Got it last yr exclusively from Breck's. Monster plant. It's in a pot as most of them are. Did great. Big beautiful blooms and nice scent. Gonna be a good one!

SPARKLE & SHINE - did beautifully when it was in a pot. Put it in the ground... no blooms. I guess like CINNAMON DOLCE it is trying to get settled in. The blooms it had tho were quite lovely. Loved the ruffles. I also bought at the same time, another yellow WALKING ON SUNSHINE. What a difference. You want a rose that blooms all the time, get it!! Man, always in bloom and they last forever. Not quite as pretty of blooms as S&S, but very nice and like I said, always in bloom.

SUGAR MOON - New for me last yr. Put it right in the ground. Did really well and bloomed twice with decent blooms. This yr should be even better.

TWILIGHT ZONE - Bought this rose for the third time now. If it makes it this time, I'll be happy. If it doesn't I guess I'll give up. The first two plants grew, bloomed once then died. I did plant them in the same spot. Maybe something wrong with the soil there. I dunno. This time it's going in a pot first! The blooms I got were beautiful. Deep dark pure purple. I really hope this one makes it this time. (Also ordered from a different supplier this time to see if that helps)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

I saw Oh My! in its spring flush and it was very appealing, very pretty. Good true red. Wasn't looking for a red floribunda but felt a pang at not buying it.

Oh My! - Bedard'11, florib.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth :-) I'm so glad you are still here!

I have Ebb Tide which I love, but it gets a lot of shade so doesn't bloom that much and the petals fall off pretty quickly. Nanadoll your picture is scrumptious! I'll probably get Twilight Zone just because and put it in a better location.

Dark Night looks very very interesting. Wish I could see a full bush pic.

My mom died two months ago, so this newish rose will be 'her' rose that I am going to plant this coming spring. I usually shovel prune anything that blows fast, so I'd prefer to plant something for her that I don't have to replace.

She loved the bi-color Rio Samba, but I didn't like how it looked when it aged. So Jewel Grace is a possibility, but there aren't many pics yet on HMF of it after a few days have passed. Kentucky Rose - you should put yours on there...

Was thinking of Big Momma just because of the name which is a silly reason to plant a rose, and I don't have any deep pinks in the back yard since I gave Miss All-American Beauty to my neighbor.

Can't wait to hear more opinions...

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Awww.. :( Sorry about your mom.
    I think it's a wonderful idea to plant a rose in her honor.

I have Grand Dame. But it was new this summer - so I don't have oodles of info on it. I think the blooms nod a bit. But I love how it has lots of flowers. Can't remember if it had a good smell or not.

Here's a picture of it growing in a pot in my yard.
    The canes weren't strong enough (maybe because it's a first year??) to support themselves without help.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here's another picture with one bloom and buds.
    It's the one in the black pot right behind the whitish rose.
    Carol

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Hi Decobug,
    So sorry to hear of your mom’s passing. I hope you find the perfect rose to honor her memory! I’ve always loved Rio Samba. It’s a sentimental favorite, so although it blackspots terribly here, I haven’t the heart to get rid of it. The closet in coloring to Rio Samba I have from your list is Anna’s Promise, which was new for me late last year. Too early to really judge the rose, but beautiful blooms & foliage for the short time I’ve had it. Another I have that is similar to Rio Samba, but not on your list is Strike it Rich. It is much more disease resistant than RS (and doesn’t fade to an ugly color as it ages like RS does). Not the best of names for a memorial rose, but close in coloring to Rio Samba and an all-around good rose for me. The others I have from your list are Big Momma, Coretta Scott King, Grand Dame, Ketchup & Mustard and Sugar Moon. Only two years with Big Momma, but I really love it. It blooms a lot, is very blackspot resistant, flowers last a long time on the bush or cut, fragrance is exceptional. As Sara Ann mentioned, the blooms have a different look about them when they fully open, but I’m really fond of their flat, petal heavy form…reminds me of a hot pink version of Sweet Surrender. Coretta Scott King was new for me in 2013. I wasn’t thrilled with it initially. It’s grown on me more its second year due to its sheer determination to bloom, clean apple green foliage and heat tolerance…but still not a favorite. Blooms are plentiful, but small and very little scent to my nose. Grand Dame…as other have said, this is a REALLY great rose for me…grand in every way! Ketchup & Mustard was a gift from my husband. I really don’t like this rose, but haven’t had the heart to get rid of it yet since my DH picked it out. It blooms a lot, but the flowers have no fragrance to my nose, and the bush is plagued by blackspot here. The colors are very harsh to me (and I normally don’t mind loud colored roses)…I think it’s the ruffled bloom form verses the harsh coloring that doesn’t seem to go together and is unappealing to me. I have heard others really like this rose, but it’s just not my cup of tea. And then there is Sugar Moon…I’m back & forth with this one. Big, beautiful camellia shaped blooms with lovely red stamens in the center (that stay red even after the petals fall) and delicious fragrance, but the bush is HUGE here. I think this was its third year in my garden, and even with hard pruning, it was probably around 12 feet tall by end of season. It was a stingy bloomer first year, but has greatly improved on that…but most of the blooms are atop those 12 ft canes. A decent cut flower…you can cut a several foot stem if you want :), but otherwise hard to enjoy the flowers unless you are a giant. I think someone mentioned it blackspotted for them, but it actually isn’t too bad here…it will spot some, but not like a lot of roses do here...one of the reasons I haven't sp’d the monster yet. I should mention that I do spray my moderns as needed. Most are only sprayed a few times per season, but Ketchup & Mustard and Rio Samba blackspot here even if regularly sprayed.

Anna’s Promise

{{gwi:2119776}}

Big Momma

{{gwi:2119777}}

Coretta Scott King

{{gwi:2119778}}

Grand Dame (you can see a few Strike it Rich blooms far right behind it)

{{gwi:2119779}}

Ketchup & Mustard

{{gwi:2119780}}

Rio Samba

{{gwi:2119781}}

Strike it Rich

{{gwi:2119782}}

Sugar Moon

{{gwi:2119783}}

Top of Sugar Moon bush next a cedar (cedar isn't mature...10 years old at most…but still Sugar Moon is gaining height on it quickly!):

{{gwi:2119784}}

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Please accept our condolences to your family, Decobug. I think it is very beautiful of you to remember your mom by planting roses. I believe your mom would be smiling down at you wherever she is.

I like the look of Rio Samba. This is the first time I have come across this rose. I don't think it is hardy in my zone but I will definitely look for similar coloured roses. I like the multi-colours of the rose.

Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW pat bamaZ7, thanks for such a wonderful post!

Anna’s Promise sort of reminds me of Pat Austin. The fullness of the Big Momma blooms reminds me a little of Rose Rhapsody. Coretta Scott King a more darker version of Touch of Class? The red stamens on Sugar Moon remind me a tiny bit of JFK.

Thank you JJPeace. :-)

Edmunds has Ketchup & Mustard, Koko Loko, Lady Sadie, Love Song, Anna's Promise, Happy Go Lucky, Tahitian Treasure, Twilight Zone, Big Momma, Cinnamon Dolce, Dark Night, Good As Gold, Grande Dame, Neil Diamond, and Sugar Moon.

Regan Nursery has Anna's Promise, Big Momma, Bull's Eye, Cinnamon Dolce, Coretta Scott King, Dark Night, Fired Up, Good as Gold, Grande Dame, Happy Go Lucky, Ketchup & Mustard, Koko Loko, Neil Diamond, Oh My!, Sparkle & Shine, Sugar Moon, Tahitian Treasure, Take It Easy, and Twilight Zone.

Northland Rosarium has Anna's Promise, Coretta Scott King, Good As Gold, Grande Dame, Happy Go Lucky, Ketchup & Mustard, Koko Loco, Oh My!, and Sugar Moon

Palatine Roses has Bull's Eye, Grand Dame, Ketchup and Mustard, Sugar Moon, and Twilight Zone.

SW-Greenhouse has Anna's Promise, Neil Diamond, Take It Easy,
    Grande Dame, Sugar Moon, Ketchup & Mustard, Koko Loco, Love Song, Oh My!, Coretta Scott King, Happy Go Lucky, Twilight Zone, and Sparkle & Shine.

Rosemania has Anna's Promise, Coretta Scott King, Good as Gold, Happy go Lucky, Ketchup & Mustard, Love Song, Neil Diamond, Oh My!, Sugar Moon, Take It Easy, and Twilight Zone.

Heirloom Roses has Bull's Eye, Butter Me Up, Coretta Scott King, Dark Night, Good As Gold, Grande Dame, Happy Go Lucky, Ketchup & Mustard, Koko Loko, Oh My!, Sparkle & Shine, Sugar Moon, and Twilight Zone.

Chamblee's Rose Nursery has Coretta Scott King, Koko Loko, Love Song, Sugar Moon, and Twilight Zone.

Need to think of some more good mail order nurseries.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Wow Pat_bama what do you feed those roses? The plants are gorgeous! So loaded with blooms! I want mine to look like that!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, Pat!!! That Big Momma is incredible!!!! I really, really want one!!! I have to go browse and see if my nurseries have it. Wow!
    Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Decobug, have you ever tried Edward's Greenhouse in Boise for your roses? What a fabulous institution it is. At least half of my roses have come from them. They have special ordered for me a number of times, too. Their rose list is available now to view by going to their website and using the link provided. My friend and I are hitting Edward's this Thursday to reserve a few roses and check out things that are now arriving. Their Pocket Park will be up and running on the 24th, I believe. Lots of refreshments provided, too. For those of you reading, Edward's Greenhouse puts a temporary little park of turf, trees, and a variety of plants inside one of their greenhouses, amidst permanently planted tropicals, huge containers, and everything green you can think of. What a break from the dreary outside in January. Diane

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Incredible photos, Pat_bama - I can only wish my roses looked that lush and full! You're tempting us all to indulge in these newish roses as a result!

I have several of the ones you listed but they're mostly too new to judge yet. However, even in its first year Anna's Promise is looking to be a great rose, with intricate arrays of colors in the blooms. Also, I've been particularly impressed with Neil Diamond, particularly since my plant came from the dreaded Springhill Nursery. It has taken off and not looked back all season. Even though I pinch off buds in a rose's first year, this one had sneaked by me, and it's definitely a keeper. The rose is related to Rock 'n' Roll, but I think a fuller bloom with more variation in the stripes. I'm quite pleased with both of these.

Cynthia

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Diane,

I love Edward's Greenhouse in Boise! Sometimes I'll go right after they put everything out but it's hard for me to buy a new rose that I can't see blooming although I do keep an eye out for PM. Then by the time they are finally in bloom, when I go back all of the good ones are gone.

I've never thought of looking at their rose list and ordering in advance. I have bought lots of lavender and clematis and other unique plants that they carry that Far West doesn't seem to have.

Think I'll stop by tomorrow and order Anna’s Promise, Big Momma, Dark Night, Intrigue, Love Song, and Twilight Zone. What the hey! I'll be passing by a mile away on Hill Rd anyway...

Thanks so much for the tip! That will save me a lot of shipping charges and packing box mess :-)

Jean

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Hi Jean,

We must be pretty close to each other. I'm out in Hidden Springs, and just went down Hill Rd today to visit...Edward's! The pop up park was nearly ready to go (on the 24th) and looked great. I still haven't decided which roses to get from them, since I've run out of room. And now to get a new rose, I have to dig out an old one.

You will like Love Song and Twilight Zone (I hope). Edward's roses are 5 gallon and you can have them keep your advance purchases in a separate greenhouse until you are ready to pick them up. By then, they are about half grown it seems like. I think their prices are very reasonable for such huge healthy roses.

Have you ever spent time visiting their outstanding borders? Those are eye popping, free, and better than the botanical garden (I think). We hit Edward's for our entertainment often.

Good luck with your new roses.

Diane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Diane,

My dad's assisted living place is right near Collister, so just a mile from Edwards. It works out good :-) I was able to order Anna’s Promise, Big Momma, Dark Night, Intrigue, Love Song, and Twilight Zone. She said I could pick them up around 4/15 and because I ordered them early I got 10% off. Yippee. I'm way on the other side of N Meridian in the boons.

I used to go to Edwards and take pictures of the surroundings including some of the older houses in the neighborhood.

Thanks again!

-----

Anyone else with opinions on the above roses?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Well I picked up my new roses and one by one they have bloomed. From the 5 new roses I ordered:

Anna’s Promise - Her color is very close to Nancy Reagan but the bloom shape was a little strange on a couple of the blooms and it did blow quite fast. Once I know how tall it gets I'll find a place for it...

Big Momma - For some reason she doesn't even have taller canes or buds yet after 2 months... Looks exactly as it did when I picked it up. Beautiful leaves, so perhaps she needs more sun than the others to get going...

Dark Night - This one may be heading into the trash bin - Beautiful initial bloom for about 12 hours and then the form falls apart and it fades to a very unattractive color. I'll give it one more bloom cycle.

Twilight Zone - WOW - Ebbtide 2.0. I'm going to experiment with this one as far as to which rose is superior. Very impressed so far though.

Love Song - The winner. This will be the rose I will plant for my mother. My jaw dropped when the entire bush bloomed at once. All of those perfect sweet ruffly blooms. (This pic was a couple of days later.) Going to put it right outside my bedroom window where Neptune died after battling it out with Dr. Huey for 2 years.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

OMG pat_bama your roses are on steroids! :)

What's your secret to such profusion of blooms?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Hi Jean,
    I'm glad you had success with Love Song. I liked this rose so much that I got another one this year. I hope yours keeps producing those big blooms. I still like Twilight Zone a little better than Ebb Tide. But ET definitely has the nicest scent.
    Maybe we'll run into each other at Edwards. I'm going there today for some penstemon, which I hope they still have. Keep us posted about your new roses. I'd love to see some pics of what you grow. Diane

• Donna R zone 6a
    8 years ago

Pat bamaz- PLEASE tell us what your rose growing secret is! Your roses are so lush, and absolutely FABULOUS. Beautiful, just beautiful. Most of my rose bushes are young. I would give me right arm to have my bushes look like yours!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Diane,

This is a list of my current roses:

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=3.4702&tab=2&frmt=1&scp=0&order=1&qn=0&qc=3d

It has been whittled down from about 250 to 70 over the past 10 years.

The other 3 thousand photos I have posted on HMF are rose pics from my garden, pics from rose gardens on the west coast and pics from nurseries. Such as this one from my garden:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.85217