Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

rooting florist roses???

pembroke
10 years ago

I've started rooting florist roses. I've put them in damp potting soil and put them in 2 gal freezer bag sealed under lights. Question: will the leaves left on the stem fall off during the rooting process? The stem is still green so far so I'm thinking it's still OK. Comments are appreciated and wanted. Thanks. Pembroke

Comments (6)

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

The leaves will eventually fall off or you may have to pull them off once they dry up. Are you having success?

I have been trying for the last few months using the burrito method, but it doesn't work well at all with florist roses. I've gone back to just potting the stems, similar to what you're doing. I have a frame I made out of pvc pipe covered with clear vinyl film. I put the potted stems inside a big underbed storage box, with wet clay pebbles under the pots, heating pads under the storage box, and full spectrum fluorescent lights on a timer for 9 hours a day. I have to mist them every day and add water to the pebbles about every 3-4days. So far I have a handful of the ones that I tried callousing with the burrito method first, that appear to be surviving, plus several directly potted with leaves on. The leaves on the earliest ones from a few weeks ago are beginning to dry up. If they don't fall off by themselves, I'll carefully pull them off in a few days or so.

So, what roses have you tried so far? the ones that appear to be rooting for me are ROSITA VENDELA, PAILINE, OPUS and hopefully, IGUANA.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Agree with Beth -- the only way I've gotten florist roses to take has been under lights and mist. They just don't go any other way for me, and half the time (approx) I can't get them to go even with the mist and the lights. My mist and lights set up is on a timer, so the plants get optimum amounts of both.

I've tried every method ever suggested here or anywhere else I've been.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the pots sitting in bowls with water in them, enclosed in freezer bags with lights over them. Moisture is on sides of bags. So I'm thinking there is moisture enough in bags. These are no name roses from florist. Saw posting on here and thought I'd like to try starting some. Nothing lost nothing gained either way. Having fun with ROSES!!!! Pembroke

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Dump the water. They will rot from too much moisture. Anything that drains out of the pots should go until there is moisture on the sides of the bag, but not at the bottom.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you want to keep the humidity up around them without rotting them get some trays (I use old cake pans) and put gravel in the bottom. Put water in the gravel but NOT up to the top of the stones and then place the cups/pots on top of the gravel. You do not want the water to touch the bottom of the pot. That will create a humid zone around them with out over watering them.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Hey Pembroke, if you have any luck with these, then you can go find specific ones and try rooting them too. Do you guys have Safeway markets in your area? Ours order from some outfit in South America and they sell named roses for $9.99 a dozen all yr, except at Valentine's and Mother's Day, then they raise them up to $19.99. Our Safeway gets them in Mon-Wed-Fri and I go check at least twice a week to see what comes in. I'm just playing and experimenting to see what I can get to root. Once I get it down, I'm going to go to the local (actual) florist shops to see if they will special order specific roses. It'll cost alot more tho. Usually $60 per dozen in the off season. It's just a fun thing to keep me going til bloom season starts up again!! But if I can get some of the ones I really am looking for, that would be cool!