Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabella__ma

Rose Pillar construction details

isabella__MA
16 years ago

Hi, new to the rose forum. I have searched for rose pillars, but the old posts were gone. I have found some great references Gertrude J. on pillars, but no real details on their construction.

I finally found a great rose that thrives in my light shade garden (Zephrine D.), and now I need a structure for it to climb on. Now it's just floundering happily on the ground, but it needs a support for it to be shown to its best.

Would a 4X4 PT 12-foot post be adequate support or would additional footholds need to be added? Does anyone have any details to share?

TIA!!

Comments (12)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

You could drill holes through that post and stick in a piece of rebar or pipe at 90 degree angles every 18" or so. Alternate between the pipe going north to south with a pipe going east to west. Then the rose canes could drape over these rebar "arms". Someone on this forum made structures like that and it appeared to be very successful.

I have no idea how big Zepphie gets in zone 5, probably a lot smaller than here.

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

You can use the 4X4 but you need to put something on the post to attach to. I use wire staples-you get then in the electrical department of the Home center. They are for attaching down Romex electrical wire-several different kinds-take yur pick. Tap them in half way and use to anchor what ever suits you to tie your rose up. I do this alot-I normally put the staples on and the cap(you can get fabulouse glass caps these days) and set the post up in concrete. You can grow alot of climbers this way. I vary the height for visual interest.

patricia

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I used a 4x4 and I painted it to match a resin finial that I purchased at a pottery store. The finial is secured with liquid nails.

I tied the rose to it by inserting eye screws and using fabric ties.

I did this without the use of power tools and had it up in less than 2 hrs start to finish. Although the rose is new and wasnt in bloom, here are the pictures of how it looks:

{{gwi:212538}}

{{gwi:212539}}

Ronda

• isabella__MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This forum is very active indeed and very creative. Ronda your pillar looks great.

• mauirose
    16 years ago

Patricia-
    i really need some fabulous glass caps-where are they found?

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

My husband just designed and built two cedar pillars - he's using them as samples for a garden structure workshop he's doing with our rose society in May. Here's pictures of them in his workshop - they are built of cedar so they won't rot, and can be painted or left to weather to a gray color. One is 5' high and the other is 7' high. The curved pieces on the top of the second picture were left over pieces from an arbor he made me. He's still experimenting - hope I get to keep the samples!

{{gwi:212540}}
    {{gwi:212541}}

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin, at least in zone 8 is a HUGE rose, so I would plan for a very strong* arbor instead of a pillar - except, of course, if ZD has serious dieback issues in your zone.

I emphasize the 'strong' part; our first huge arbor made of PVC pipes collapsed after a few years.

• thonotorose
    16 years ago

Yes, Patricia....Where does one find those fab glass caps for pillars?

Thanks.

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

isabella,

I grow LOTS of roses on pillars (actually rebar teepees). I simply get 3 pieces of 10 ft rebar, drive it into the ground about 20 inches (in a 3 ft triangle pattern) and secure the tops with an automotive hose clamp. I put the rose inside.
    {{gwi:212542}}

Robert

• isabella__MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My ZD is about 8 feet tall now, but without supports. I didn't give it any protection this year, and it survived our roller coaster (snow/warm/nor'easter) weather. It has really thrived in it's part sun location. Other roses (sorry no names) have tolerated the site, but not really thrived and bushed out. So all my hopes are on the ZD, and I ordered some more bare-roots to plant this spring.

In my backyard I have a roofless gazebo, which I don't use much, because it is downstairs from the kitchen, and out of the way for entertaining. I'll be putting in a 15 foot rose pillar in the center and growing roses up the other eight 7 ft gazebo posts. From each post, chains/ropes will be strung to the center post. These chains/ropes and roses will then make the roof.

I'm curious too, what are the glass cap? Insulating caps for running wire?

• mauirose
    16 years ago

It's not glass but i thought it was sweet

{{gwi:212543}}

$18 at home depot (online)

That gazebo sounds pretty.

• flattie_2008
    15 years ago

Bumping this back up since I'm another Zephirine Drouhin grower who is facing the 3rd year leap this year - and my Zepphy already has some 15' canes. Done numerous searches for rose pillars, and they're all too short.

Question for those who are using the 4x4 pillar method (if you're still around). How is the pillar holding up for you? Did you use a pressure treated or cedar 4x4?