Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

Rose Tone ??

pembroke
10 years ago

Read a post on her about Rose Tone but have misplaced it. Your thoughts on rose tone. Are there different ingredients in different Rose tones. What do you use? Do you take soil samples before using this? How often do you use this Rose-tone? Thanks for info and comments. Pembroke

This post was edited by pembroke on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 7:44

Comments (26)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Think I just answered this somewhere on here, but what the heck, here goes again.

All the Tones are good and it doesn't make a lot of difference which one you use. I often use Plant Tone because my local source often carries only that Tone. I notice that my current bag is Holly Tone--don't remember where or when I bought that, but it works good also. I remember once ordering a bunch of Rose Tone online--don't remember that it was better or worse than the other Tones--but the weight of those bags sure drove up the shipping charges, so I haven't done that again.

The usual practice with roses is to use a fairly balanced food--10-10-10 (or 3-3-3 or whatever) is common, or something close to that. I like the combination of ingredients that are in Tone--and I make sure there is some alfalfa in it, whatever I buy. (They may all have alfalfa--I don't know because I have never comparison-checked.)

There are other organic type name brands out there also and they are good also. I use the Tones simply because they are readily and easily available and the others are not--at least, not in my region.

I believe the directions on all the Tones say to use it monthly and specify the amount. Myself, I use it in the spring and then get lazy and switch to a time-released product to cover the rest of the growing season. Each to his/her own.

Kate

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Be aware that the standard Tones are not fully organic -- though they are "rich in organics" they also have some synthetic fertilizer added. There are completely organic Tones available, but pay attention to the difference in labeling.

Another similar fertilizer I've come to like is Jobe's Organic Knock-Out Rose Food. I tried it when it was on sale (and thus cheaper, at the time, than RoseTone) to use in my potting mix for new bands. While I'm not sure how effective it is, I do like that the Jobe's contains soil microorganisms, and perhaps that's what made the difference in how fast my bands took off when I used that instead of the RoseTone like I did the year before.

:-)

~Christopher

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I am another promoter of Rose Tone and other Tone products. Usually I use Garden Tone, Rose Tone or Plant Tone. They are similar. The formulas have changed through the years. Most of the products are now organic and include alfalfa and microbes to liven up your soil! I use whichever is available at a local Mom and Pop nursery.

Holly Tone has ingredients which helps acidify your soil. Not usually necessary in this neck of the woods.

Google "Espoma" for information on this product line.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Yes, they stopped using ammonium sulfate in Rose Tone a few years ago and boosted the chicken poop instead. Rose T and Plant T are slightly preferable to the other Tones because they have higher nitrogen, which roses want.

The label dose of one cup a month is more than average rose plants can actually use. I would do that every two months instead.

I don't think there is a better fertilizer product for roses.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all responses so far. So Do you work this into soil or just sprinkle on top of soil. Water in or wait for rain? Thanks. Pembroke

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I would put it under the mulch and water. If you put it on top of the mulch it could take a year to work, because organic N and P are not water-soluble and need to be in contact with soil bacteria. However if you have been feeding organically for a couple of years, there might already be another year's worth of nutrients in the soil, and it might be OK to put it on top of the mulch.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I'm a real slacker, I usually just dump and run, and it gets watered in the next time I water. I usually have the mulch away from the base of the plants anyway.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I love the "Tones" and have used several types with equally good results. I would like to mention that economical 40 pound bags of Plant Tone can be found on Amazon and shipped FREE, so this is what I've been using lately. It's pretty funny getting that huge box of fertilizer--I'm wondering if UPS thought there was dead body inside it because of the way the bag shifts around. Anyway, this is the cheapest way for me to buy the Tones which are hard to get around here. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I've used Rose Tome, Holly Tome and Plant Tone and if you look at the ingredients they're all about the same. So look for the one that's cheapest. I've found that as soon as they put the name "Rose" on the label the price goes up!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Forget the Tones and buy Mills Magic Mix! It is a far better product and is available online.

• cecily
    10 years ago

Dog owners beware... my neighbor's dog has an appetite for Rose Tone and Holly Tone. She eats the fertilizer, soil, bits of mulch, etc then barfs on her mom's carpet. I tried different Tones but Lucy likes them all. Watering it in well reduces her interest.

I've been buying Holly Tone because it comes in a larger bag.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I have the same issue with my dogs. They not only eat the mulch and soil around the plants, but will proceed to dig the plant out of the ground trying to get more of the âÂÂToneâÂÂ. Not sure what ingredient it is that the dogs adore (I can put straight manure down without a problem)â¦maybe itâÂÂs the alfalfa which the bunnies will come from near and far to eat, as well.

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

Dog rescuer here--just about any fertilizer has dried blood, bone, and manure in it, and many dogs will try to get into those (dogs are opportunistic eaters and omnivores, so it's in their make-up to eat whatever is there their bodies can use). So I water in whatever I put down!!

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Ahh that reminds me of the time the teenaged me got put in charge of the house during a parental vacation.
    Every couple of days the family airedale would start throwing up and go off her food. She seemed fine otherwise, but I was getting worried enough to contemplate dipping into the use only in case of dire emergency fund my parents had entrusted me with to take her to the vet, when I noticed half a bag of blood and bone tucked away in the corner of the back yard. Apparently dad had bought it just before going on vacation.
    The dog had ripped a hole in the bag, been eating enough to make herself sick..then going back for more when she felt a bit better !
    I locked the remainder up in the laundry and she made a miraculous recovery.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I can use manure, blood or bone meal separately without a problem, so must be the combo thatâÂÂs irresistible to my dogs. Anyway, I no longer use the Tones for fear they arenâÂÂt good for the dogs and for fact that the dog damage isnâÂÂt good for the plants. Of course, the dogs still munch on grass and such and wait until they come back inside to throw it upâ¦

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I apply Tone by scraping away much carefully with my hand. I then sprinkle in the fertilizer around the drip zone and replace the mulch. My roses are always vigorous and hardy.

Dan, why would you say that Mills Mix is "far better"? I think it is a good product, but don't see a great advantage.

{{gwi:212550}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Harryshoe - A picture is worth a thousand words! So gorgeous and healthy looking. Love your color scheme.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Yes, Harryshoe, your garden is just splendid.
    I did a little research on Mills Magic and couldn't see a bit of advantage in using it. Diane

• lesmc
    10 years ago

After seeing Harry`s garden....I will be using Rose Tone for sure!!! Do you use it monthly...or just for spring? I agree with SaraAnn...your color scheme is just beautiful.Maybe I should start buying bags now to spread out the expense. I think I will! lesley

• dani33
    9 years ago

I have 2 Belinda's Dream and 1 knockout Rose bush that are in containers and are about to be planted in my yard. I bought a bag of Rose Tone because I read that was good for giving roses a good start. Now I'm worried it will burn the roots. My soil was tested and came back fine and the rose bushes have lots of healthy greenery on them (no roses yet). I was planning on planting them tomorrow,butnow I am afraid I was misinformed along the way. I also boughyt organic soil and organic organic compost (lobster compost). Should I use the new soil and compost minus the rose tone?

• kris2082
    9 years ago

Although I like the Tones as well, there is a product we use here on roses called 'Purely Organic'. It was developed and is marketed by Jim Young, a Clemson graduate who owns H.L. Shealy, a farm and feed store in Gilbert SC. All rose growers and exhibitors throughout the southeast use it exclusively on their roses. It is available in 25 and 50 pound bags. You can Google H.L Shealy to get the phone number and find out if they can ship you some. The analysis I believe is 6-6-6.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Oh Lesley that is beyond magical !! I need to save your pictures as inspiration for my lake view garden. Do you have a thread going with some ? If not , can you ? Yours is one of my favorites !!

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Dani, any fertilizer will burn plants if used to excess, and no fertilizer will burn plants if used in appropriate amounts.

Generally, don't mix fertilizer into the soil unless a soil test has shown a deficiency such as phosphorus or calcium. Fertilize at the surface and don't exceed labeled doses. That includes not applying more than one fertilizer in the same time interval--they all provide roughly the same stuff. Usually labeled doses are on the heavy side and you can use less than that. If you fertilize at planting time, use a light dose.

• roseloverinsf
    7 years ago

Does anybody know if cats or racoons get attracted to it just like dogs? I just topdressed my roses today and oh my, how it stinks!

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

I have a huge stack of the plastic flats that bedding plants come in. After I've worked the Tone into the soil and replaced the mulch, I water it in. Then I cover the root zone with the flats for a week or so. It's not a perfect solution but it does keep my three golden retrievers from damaging the roots, or making themselves sick.

I didn't have that problem when I used alfalfa pellets, but they've gotten too expensive and are hard to incorporate into the soil.

In July and August I switch from Tone to a liquid fertilizer, usually fish emulsion. I don't really want to push a lot of growth or new bloom during the peak of summer heat; I think the roses need a break-- and so do I!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH