Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Rose Rosette Research

roseseek
9 years ago

Dr. David Byrne at Texas A&M has released his latest "TAMU Rose Update". In it, he posted this, which should be something some of us might be able to help him out with.

"We had a wonderful day for our Fall evaluations at Moore Rose Collection in October. While there, we marked about 25 of the Moore accessions for propagation. These represent a wide diversity of rose types which will be planted for their assessment for resistance to Rose Rosette Disease with Mark Windham at the University of Tennessee and Tom Evans at the University of Delaware. These roses will also be planted and evaluated in two sites in Texas: in College Station in my research plots and with Brent Pemberton at the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center in east Texas (Overton). These plantings are being funded by the Specialty Crop Research Initiative project �Combatting Rose Rosette Disease� with exceptional collaboration from the rose industry and community. We hope to evaluate about 400 roses including those which have been reported to have little or no RRD, a wide range of rose species, rose rootstocks, and a diverse selection of newer cultivars. This trial will last for three years. The plants are coming from multiple sources so it has been a bit crazy coordinating all the plant acquisition and propagation but the cooperation of the various nurseries supporting the project has been wonderful. If you have any suggestions of a rose that does not appear to get RRD while the other roses around it have symptoms, please email me the name of the rose so we can test in a controlled trial."

I hesitate to post Dr. Byrne's email to any forum, as I would anyone's. If you have suggestions for the trial, please private message me and I will be happy to share his email with you privately. Thank you! Kim

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm