Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773183

Rose recommendation for Bay Area

User
10 years ago

Instructed by HW to pick two to three roses for a friend living in San Francisco Bay Area. As the friend is not a gardener and very busy with two children, roses have to be easy care/disease resistant in her climate. They do not have to be "uncommon" (whatever that word means, but Icebergs and Knockouts are out). Thornless or having fewer thorns is a huge plus as well as having decent repeat.

Ms. Dudley Cross is one rose that I am thinking about, and another is Austin's Heritage. For the roses with some thorns, I am thinking Belinda's Dream.

Knowing nothing about what roses do well in the Bay Area, I thought what better resources I can turn to than this very forum. Could you share your thoughts? What are the two roses that you would recommend to a Bay Area non-gardener?

Comments (9)

• andreark
    10 years ago

Happy New Year farmerduck.

I live in the bay area, 40 miles east of SFO on the Delta. We are warmer, colder, and not as wet as the city.

I am not an expert, yet, but one of my roses that doesn't get huge (like Pristine or Gemini) is St. Patrick. Many blooms and very healthy foliage. I don't really pay attention to thorns much, but once again NOTHING like Pristine, who happens to be my very well armed favorite.

I have Austins, but they are only 3-4 months old so I cant say much. Lady Emma Hamilton is already blooming (yes now!) and looks to be a healthy, gorgeous, and terrifically fragrant girl. She is a graft so she is actually older than 5 months. Most of mine are own root so are really young.

Hope this helps,

andrea

• grambu
    10 years ago

I live in San Jose and most roses do very well here. Personally I would stay away from the austin roses because they become bushy with a lot of canes that need cutting. Many also have a lot of thorns to deal with. I don't know what color you are looking for ; but Julia Child is a beautiful yellow that glows with any other color that is put next to it. It does not clash with apricot colors and has punch when surrounded by lavender. Good luck, remember almost all roses grow well here unless your friend lives in SF itself. Then watch for Black spot and mildew due to the heavy summer fog up there.
    Judith

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

The SF Bay Area is a huge area - what city does your friend live in? You will get better advice if we know.

How much space does your friend have for these roses? Could one be a climber?

Jackie

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! It sounds like that the Bay Area is generally very roses-friendly.

Jackie -- She lives in Pleasanton.

Judith -- JC is a great rose. Not sure about the thorny part though.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Pleasanton is easterly of Hayward which puts it in a hotter dryer climate than SF.

I don't recommend 'Heritage'. Mine took forever to establish and a cut bloom lasts one day. Not very disease resistant here.

I second 'Julia Child' if she likes yellow. For orange 'Living Easy' is minimal care. 'Day Breaker' (pink, orange, and yellow in one blossom) is a bloom machine.

'Moondance' (creamy white) I've heard is also a bloom machine and lasts well.

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

I live in Lafayette and work in Pleasanton. The climate is very similar. Pleasanton may be a little warmer.
    Last year I planted Double Delight, Peace, Olympiad and St. Patrick. This year I bought Fire Fighter, PJP2, Just Joey, Julia Child and Chrysler Imperial.

For a while, Jackson Perkins grew roses in Pleasanton.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    10 years ago

I live in the Bay Area and close to the bay so I sometimes have to spray my roses for powdery mildew. However, one of my no-spray roses and easy going is Livinâ Easy. Here is its info.

Height / Habit: Medium, rounded
    Bloom / Size: Large, double
    Petal count: 25 to 30
    Fragrance: Moderate fruity

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    10 years ago

Here is the close up image of Livinâ Easy from my garden last year.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks, everyone. DW has placed an order based on your recommendations.

Bayerea-girl -- your Easy Living/flower bed look lovely!