Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

End of an era

So, gardenweb is being absorbed by Houzz. I go back to the early Spike era. Here I have learned so much, made friends. My garden and myself are the better for gardenweb. Perhaps now it is time to move on, as I fear the corporate merchandizing machine that is Houzz will somehow figure out how to sell-sell-sell on gardenweb in a way that NBC was never able to do. Sigh. Everything changes, right? All good things must pass.

What did this rose forum lead me to? 'Belinda's Dream', for one. Never would have found it otherwise. Thanks, Rose Forum.
{{gwi:2119853}}

Barcelona, Gruss an Aachen, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Golden Buddha. Vintage, Chamblee's, Rogue Valley, Palatine, RU. Thanks, Rose Forum, for so long a mostly non-commercial, human-scale meeting place for garden lovers, mostly free of the hard-sell and insistent commercial push, the original promise of the internet now fading, like the color of an Austin rose in hot summer sun.
{{gwi:2119854}}
Maybe spending less time on the internet and more time in the garden is what I should be doing anyway.

Comments (122)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Since I usually read from my cellphone during the day it is okay here but it would have been a nice courtesy to let everyone know in advance if they did it is probably in my spam folder I did get the free iPad email now that would be nice to win!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Jeri -- to change your name as it appears on the forum posts, mouse over "Your Houzz" and then select "Edit Profile." Scroll down on the next page to "Profile Information" and type what you want to be seen on your posts in the "First name (publicly displayed)" field. My default was "aquaeyes_gw" and I changed it back to "AquaEyes 7a". Since you Californians also use the Sunset zone info, you could type that in as well.

The only constant is change.

:-)

~Christopher

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

This format is a big change to get used to, but I think this could work. Did you know you can post up to four photos at a time? I set up my profile, which was fun. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like. I do hope they change the bright white background on the posts. I sent in a suggestion and received a response saying that all feedback is passed on to the Houzz team.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

It's quite strange for such a sweeping, abrupt change! I'm sure we'll all adapt even though it will take some time, but I can't say I love the new layout. Hopefully Houzz will be amenable to making tweaks.

Jay

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Hate this format! lol

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Did you notice the "like" button?

9 years ago

White background hurting my eyes so hopefully they make a change with that! :-(

I'll write a suggestion of background change to them...

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Over on the perennial form the Houzz staff has asked for some suggestions on improving this format. You guys are better at saying things then I am. Pleaseee stop over there and suggest some changes.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

I think each forum needs garden pictures at the top of the page like it used to have but better/new photos lol. It just looks so blahhhhhh the way it is now. I agree the white on white background is really giving me a headache. We need links to all the other similar forums so we have 'pathways' to get around. It makes it so much more user friendly. I do like the little add photo/video/link buttons in the reply box :)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

So what is the like button all about? Smacks too much of Facebook, to me. Are we now rating each others' posts?

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

Thanks Christopher, Tamara, and Jasmine. I've tweeked my display name even more to add not just the zone I'm in, but also my general area, and the elevation of my garden. Added a photo of me and my garden. For those who want to find their garden elevation, try this link: Calculate Elevation by your address

Adding photos, at least to the profile, does appear to be MUCH easier. That is one improvement. The colors and brightness of both text and background is still a work in progress. Maybe Houzz should look at the color schemes that GardenWeb has been using and give that a try. The way it is now creates a lot of eye strain. I'm subject to migraines too and staying on this site as it is for any length of time won't be a good idea.

Melissa

• User
    9 years ago

..thank you for that link Melissa...it's very useful.... I'm 6 feet above sea level...

9 years ago

Melissa, I hope the Houzz team sees your post and suggestions :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Phew!!! It took me over an hour just to get registered and confirmed. Pain in the butt!!! But at least now I can comment. And I'm ticked that I had to register under a new user name. I've used the same user name forever for a reason. I can remember it! And of course it was already being used because I used it before!! Duh.

I'm also not at all happy with the layout. I had to search for quite a while to find this forum. I don't like the white background either or the sorta gray type. Sigh...why can't they just leave well enough alone! I'm sure they feel this is (I hate this term) user friendly but it isn't. Not to a whole community that was very happy with things the way they were.

Melissa is right. Go immediately to your advanced settings and turn off all those emails! In the 10 minutes between my finally getting signed in and now I've gotten 14 emails! No, no, no, this will not do...OK, went and turned those all off, ahhh, much better.

If this is meant for all of the touch screen users they've sorely misjudged their users. Where's the damn "dislike" button!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Hi Tamara, if you're there! Gardenweb user "itslnb" here, otherwise known as "redwolfdoc". I'm in Canada and Gardenweb actually just changed to the Houzz interface for me today (trust me - I'm on this forum every day!). I'm already having some trouble - Houzz shows my username as redwolfdoc, but only on Houzz and not on Gardenweb. For Gardenweb it says the name is already taken. I followed the instructions on confirming my email and such. Can you help?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hear, hear, Seil!

9 years ago

To those wanting to use the same name displayed on the gardenweb: The user name is different from your display name. You can enter your display name under "first name" when you edit your profile. Therefore, I was jasminerose4u on the gardenweb and I will remain jasminerose4u here, because that is what I put for my first name in my profile. I also added my garden zone. Good luck! :)

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Hi itslnb - Don't worry, it's not just Canada. It changed for everyone today. So, we're all figuring this out at the same time. If you read through the thread, you'll see tips on how to change your display name to redwolfdoc. You'll still login with itslnb, but when you post, it will show as redwolfdoc. It's very easy to do. Let me know if it's not clear or if you need some help. No problem!

Also, just remember, if you get lost, http://www.gardenweb.com will bring you back to the main page. If you look on the left side of the page, you'll see links that will take you to the forums pages. Also, at the top of each of the forum pages, you will always see a breadcrumb trail that will show you where you are at. Screenshot below -- highlighted in purple.

9 years ago

Hi Tamara. Is there a way to get to the garden forums from the Houzz.com website? I don't see a tab for it. BTW, the soft grey background is easier on the eyes than the bright white. Thanks!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

This is awful. Can't find a thinG

• Tamara
    9 years ago

HI Jasmine,

If you navigate to Houzz from the GW forums, there should be some green popups that help you return. But, I'm not seeing them now, so I'll check and get back to you. In the meantime, if you go to http://www.gardenweb.com, it will always take you 'home'. ;)

9 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply.

• rosecanadian
    9 years ago

Took me forever to make this work. This sucks.

I'm not big on this change...but I guess I'll get used to it.

Because I couldn't sign in, I tried finding other rose forums - but I couldn't find any. How odd. But now I figured out how to get this to work, I guess I'll give this a whirl.

Carol aka Canadian_rose

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

The new background is much better, thank you. One thing we had on the old format was quick links to the other rose forums. For instance when we were in the main rose forum there was a link on top for the Antique Rose forum and others. It made it a bit easier to go back and forth as many of us do.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what I think yet. I had a terrible time yesterday, couldn't get signed in, finally figured it out, I think. I can tell that I've still got a lot to learn, I'm not big on change either, but will give it a chance. I do like that posting pictures is simpler.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

I think I finally got the emails turned off and got my old name back. This is not easy or user friendly. I hate the colors of the pages as well. Too much glare. Anyway to make the background softer like the old forum. My eyes are getting old and can't take this.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

mustbenuts, I am 26 and I find the colors blinding! I was on here last night trying to get my page setup and had to log off because my eyes hurt. I hope they come up with "themes" or something so we can change how it looks. I love surfing gardenweb and usually bounce between antique rose and the rose forum, perennials, peonies, butterfly gardens, annuals, hydrangeas; just to see what everyone is up to.

I guess one good part about llimiting the amount of time I spend on here is a good thing so I stop finding roses I "need"

Trying to keep an open mind, I hope they'll listen to the feedback people are giving and make improvements.

Michaela

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

I haven't had any trouble so far, followed the prompts to confirm my account, took about 5 mins. It will take some exploring to feel 'easy' again, but if posting photos is easier that's great! And I like the 'like' feature; allows me to be involved in a discussion or show support without being repetitious. I also think it's a cleaner look and I like that threads I have commented on are easy to access in my profile, with how many replies there are, etc. I will turn off the majority of the emails...that's irritating, but other than that I'm not too fussed.

9 years ago

Following the advice of a friend I turned the brightness down on our computer monitor and that helped soften the background.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are a few good things: the "flag a post" in the top right hand corner of a post, which makes it faster and easier to mark a post as spam than the old gw "contact us" method. The up arrow at the bottom right of the page, to go back to the top of the page without scrolling--now I see they added a "say thank you", which is far more appropriate for a garden forum than a "like", which is vague.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I see that arrow to scroll up and it's nice! They should add one to scroll down now, since the threads get long here and the most recent posts are on the bottom.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

hoovb, where is the say thank you option? I am still seeing a "like" button for me. Tried logging out & logging back in but it's still a "like" I don't mind likes, just curious if it replaced the feature or if it's somewhere else.

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

I don't mind the change so much. I find posting pictures to be far simpler, plus I know longer have words turned into green links that completely don't interest me!

Also, I like the fact that I can go into my profile and see all of my posts.

Search function is also awesome!

9 years ago

I believe the "thank you " option shows up to the original poster, giving them the ability to thank those who responded to the post. I saw this option in a post I created and thanked those that replied.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

@ trospero - I looked up Ghostery and there is a description of the program on Wikipedia. And I quote:

“Evidon, the company owning Ghostery, plays a dual role in the online advertising industry. Ghostery blocks sites from gathering personal information. But it does have an opt-in feature named Ghostrank that can be checked to "support" them; Ghostrank takes note of ads encountered and blocked, and sends that information, though anonymously, back to advertisers so they can better formulate their ads to avoid being blocked.[4]

Thus, not everyone sees Evidon's business model as conflict-free. "Evidon has a financial incentive to encourage the program's adoption and discourage alternatives like Do Not Track and cookie blocking as well as to maintain positive relationships with intrusive advertising companies", says Jonathan Mayer, a Stanford grad student and privacy advocate.[5]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

fduk_gw and Hoovb thank you for the info! I'll have to look into it sometime.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I wish houzz would hurry up and improve on this gardenweb layout. All this white space is driving me nuts. It is sad that houzz decides not to keep the old gardenweb format and improve on it when it works so well.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

karenpa_6b there are 3 boxy icons towards the top of the forum page on the right hand side (not on an individual thread page, rather, on the main Rose or whatever subject forum page) --clicking on one of them or another you can adjust the look of the page somewhat and reduce (or increase) the white space. Hope that helps.

• jessewo
    9 years ago

I'm not sold yet-I had to change my username after many, many years, I checked the box to retain my old one on the screen, but of course it display's the new one, so my history (and there were a few forums I posted to A LOT) is gone. I agree-if it's not broke, don't fix it!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

hoovb, I am sorry but I do not see any boxy icons on the page as you directed. I am currently using a laptop computer. Could it be that you are viewing from a tablet such as ipad and those icons are available for a tablet but not a laptop with windows 7?

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    9 years ago

Well, after screwing things up over the past several days, I'm in under a different name. Still me (ken-n.e.ga.mts), just got tired of fighting with the change over.

• Austin
    9 years ago

Houzz wants to take control, this you can see when you google a topic in their wheel house.. You must identify Houzz and delete it from your search. If you don't most of what shows up is something that is Houzz related. You cannot copy and paste a picture from their site only "send" it through Houzz or save it in your Houzz scrapbook. Good business for them bad for consumer and another form of controlling. I am a designer and find their marketing irritating.There are many good design blogs that show wonderful examples of good design but having your house on Houzz does not necessary mean it was good design. I have often sent their pictures for what NOT to do. That being said they have so many examples and pictures in their site if your builder needs a picture of what you want done it is easy to locate one that comes close in design and style. I just don't like the "Big Brother" aspect of the site. Think they have control at their core. I doubt if Garden Web followers will benefit from this move. Hope somebody from Garden Web made some $$ to make this worth the loss. I understand profit so no hard feelings. Get ready folks it ain't gonna be what you think.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KarenPA_6b, Here's a screen shot with the boxy things circled in red. Hope that helps!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

better photo?

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Well, the initial shock of Gardenweb changing was hard. Since then every day that I visit I'm pleasantly surprised by a "new" change that makes this forum more familiar and easy to navigate. Today I noticed the "related forums" on the top of the Rose Forum page. Houzz seems to be doing a great job at listening and responding to us - something that I am not accustomed to with "big important people". If they keep it up then this big change can be the beginning of a new great era, rather than just the end of a great era.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Well, I thank you Hoovb for those screen shots - I never would have known what those little boxes were all about, or even have noticed them for that matter, if you hadn't pointed us to them. They are very helpful when scrolling down the main page of the forum and deciding which threads to open as you can see the last poster and a bit of the conversation. I don't think that does much for the glare, but it is helpful none the less. Thanks again!
    Anne

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Yes, thanks very much, hoovb. I locate them now. You are so
    computer savvy. I do not know how you manage to take screen shots and
    post them on the thread. But the pictures are very helpful. I am
    still trying to understand all that is on this layout. Though I am
    really glad that houzz uses a greyer shade of white for the background
    to reduce glare. It would be nice if they can increase the font size a
    bit so it is easier to read the posts.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To increase font size, just do a google or other search engine search on:

how to increase font size in internet explorer

or

how to increase font size in firefox

or whatever your browser is. It's not too difficult.

Happy to have been of help.

• koguge
    8 years ago