Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjpeace

Steel Arbour vs Vinyl Arbour

I am thinking of adding some arbours this coming summer to my garden if my budget allows it . The ones I am thinking of are the ones you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. However, I can't decide if I should buy a steel or vinyl one.

I noticed that there are more design style with the vinyl ones. My house windows are of white vinyl so I thought it may blend in. Style wise I am going for the cottage or romantic garden theme, well in my mind anyways..lol. The only thing is I think the white vinyl may stand out too much in a garden. Which is why I am thinking of the black steel types which I think may blend in better.

I would appreciate any input you guys may have. Thank You.

Comments (9)

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

It really depends on how strong the vinyl ones are. Will they stand up to high winds? That also applies to the steel arbors. Steel rust out over time. Keep the bottom of the steel ones away from the wet soil by attaching them to pressure treated 4x4s or concrete etc.
    When attaching rose canes I wouldn't weave them through the structure.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I've got white vinyl windows, we call it UPVC here... although they are leaded with a black crossword type pattern... I don't have arbours but I do have obelisks and I chose black steel for all of them, and the pattern on them reflects the black leading on the windows too.... however, to be fair, I didn't have much of a choice as they usually come in black and not white.... but I think I would have had too much white going on and find that black blends in very well especially with all the pink and light coloured roses that I grow, including white...

...I wouldn't care for a white rose on a white arbour, personally... so white might limit your choice of roses or other plants, if you are sensitive to that... I like a contrast... so I'm happy with black...

..I should add that, it's best to go with your heart's desire, as you'll make it work for you whichever you choose...I think so...

This post was edited by Marlorena on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 12:50

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Go steel. The UV from the sun will make the vinyl ones brittle with time and they start to break. Besides that a full grown climbing rose in full bloom and wet with rain can be unbelievably heavy. You need the strongest thing you can find.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I second what Seil said. There are some flat panel trellises in a garden near me that are in 95% shade between two tall buildings, and even with that protection from the sun's damage, after about 10 years, they are falling apart. I imagine in sun they will have a much shorter life span. I have steel trellises that are more than 15 years old.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much. I knew I came to the right place and the right people. I actually thought vinyl would last many years but I didn't take the sun into consideration and the weight of the climbing rose.

I suspected that light coloured roses would not stand out on a white arbour but it is good to hear another person confirm that.

It looks like steel it is and just worry about the bottom rust.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

In a zone 5 winter would a steel support contribute to the freezing of the canes where they touch the metal?

I used vinyl but the vinyl stake pieces were backed up by metal stakes.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Steel doesn't seem to have a negative winter effect here. Of course, you have to grow hardy climbers that are *cane* hardy.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

OK, I admit to being so rose-o-centric that I saw this title thinking these were names of roses, and I clicked on it with great excitement wondering what color "Steel Arbour" was going to be. That elusive grey-beige color, but deeper? At first glance it sounded better than a rose called Vinyl Arbour would be, though I could see it passing as a creamy beige. It sounds like you're getting some nice advice and steel wins the picture as well for ACTUAL arbors. If you ever decide to hybridize a Steel Arbor, however, do let us know.

Cynthia

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Cynthia, if I should ever hybridize any rose, I will name it after you...lol.

Again, thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

I thought you guys should know that I came across an article whose author said that avoid aluminum and iron arbours because they will rust. Steel arbour is the way to go. Having said that evidently the current vinyl arbour sold by Home depot and Lowes is supposed to be very "weather resistant". Either way, both has pros and cons, it comes to a matter of personal preference.