Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Is this Don Juan (picture attached)

bananafan
16 years ago

Hi,

This rose is an inherited one. It produces nice bloom. I have been looking at some pictures of Don Juan posted in this forum and have been wondering if mine is also a Don Juan. Any idea? Thanks for your input.

{{gwi:214399}}

Comments (13)

• sue9norcal
    16 years ago

What is the growth habit? Is it an 8-12 ft climber as Don Juan is registered? The bloom shape and color don't seem to match others images on HelpMeFind, posted below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Juan on HMF

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Digital cameras sometimes have a difficult time with reds. Is it a true deep red? The color of the picture almost seems to be a deep pink.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for responding. As to both of your questions:

Its growth habit is like a climber. It sends out long canes.

I agree, my digital camera sometimes plays tricks on me. The real color is deep red.

If this is indeed Don Juan and a climber, I'll think what to do next. As of now, it is sitting in a huge pot. I dug it out from the ground and potted it because I haven't decided where to place it yet. Any tips on how to take care of it?

Thanks again.

• sandy808
    16 years ago

Don Juan will have very stiff, upright canes. He likes to grow tall and straight up, rather than lithe and soft like some of the noisettes. The new growth will have beautiful plum colored foliage. I have a couple of Don Juans, but I can't quite tell if what you have is him.

Keep the pot watered and fed, and your rose should do fine until you can decide where to put it. You may need to stake the long canes to keep them from breaking if it gets windy.

Sandy

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Define "long", please. 6' isn't "long" in climber terms. 10'+ is "long", especially in zone 9.

• sandy808
    16 years ago

Don Juan can get 10 to 12 feet long in Florida, but I'm not sure about your climate zone. Help Me Find says he gets 8 to 12 feet tall. He has a hybrid tea look to him, both in flower form and in the stiff canes. The longer canes will make lots of side shoots though, that will flower. He's a beautiful climber, and eventually fills a trellis out very well. He's actually considered to be more of a pillar type of rose, because of the stiff, upright growth habit.

It can take a while for Don Juan to "get going". The first year he seems to squat a little, and will sometimes bloom before growing much. My new ones that are on fortuniana are squatting right now and blooming some. Not much growth yet in terms of height. When he starts to take off, he's gorgeous.

I had some magnificent Don Juans before the hurricaines a few years ago destroyed them. That's why my current ones are new plantings. One of my favorites.

Sandy

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

I see nothing about fragrance.
    Don Juan has a strong fragrance. If your rose is not fragrant it's not Don Juan.
    My son had one in Florida that sent out 12-18 foot canes the first year.

• donnaz5
    16 years ago

To me, the bloom form looks too flat to be DJ...but it could be the angle of the pic. I would like to see pics of the buds and the close ups of the leaves and canes. donna

• buford
    16 years ago

banana, that bloom in the pic has been open for awhile? My DJ blooms are more of a HT shape and then get that 'blowsy' look after a few days.

And yes, there should be fragrance, very strong.

I've had a DJ for 4 years and it's only about 7 feet long. But it was a body bag so perhaps that is the problem.

• mohavemaria
    16 years ago

{{gwi:214401}}
    Here's Don Juan after a couple of days, always dark red no matter the time of year or temperature. And his foilage is quite a nice dark green with beautiful dark purple new growth.

Maria

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

The foliage looks like Don Juan, the bloom also looks like mine. The color was lighter than usual this summer. DJ sets fat hips.

I have two against a trellis on an East Wall. Sandy is right the canes are stiff. Someone posted a pic last year, she had them on an wooden arbor.

{{gwi:214403}}

{{gwi:214405}}

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My actual rose color is more to the red of the pictures posted here. I love your roses, Mohavemaria and Rainbow (epecially against your white trellis). I'm hoping to find some time to construct a rose garden with white picket fence, a white arbor and trellis. Thanks for posting the pictures and also to the rest of you for your input.

I'm beginning to believe that mine is a Don Juan. It does send out straight stiff canes and the height now is at least 8 ft. It's not in bloom now, but here's a couple of pictures.

{{gwi:214407}}

{{gwi:214409}}

• cindyabs
    16 years ago

Don Juan blooms look like red velvet to me.