Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to Prune in SF Bay Area?

Posted by harmonyp NorCA 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 10:56

Last year I pruned my roses in mid-Feb, thinking that I needed to wait until last chance of frost. Then I read on antique forum that Sacramento and San Jose gardens have already been pruning. What are pros/cons of pruning now or waiting another 3 weeks or so? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to Prune in SF Bay Area?

I don't think that in our climate (I also live in the SF Bay area) any exact time/schedule matters very much. Of course, once bloomers should be pruned AFTER they bloom, but other kinds of roses never stop blooming here (never go dormant), so I don't get all exercised about the "right" time.

Hybrid tea roses, if you treat them according to conventional wisdom, should be pruned by March at the latest, but I really don't think it matters whether you do it in Jan, Feb, or March.

Old ever-blooming roses such as teas, chinas, noisettes, don't need much pruning at all in our climate, unless you are trying to keep them out of a driveway or off a path.

So -relax and enjoy! We are so lucky, and our climate is so benign, that following the strict "rules" of when to prune, that might work on the East Coast or where they have very cold winters, is not necessary. I prune my roses when/if I get around to it. No matter what I do, they keep growing and blooming all year.

Jackie

o
RE: Time to Prune in SF Bay Area?

LOL...we lower zones are still wondering...shall we salt and shovel now, or shall we wait.
I am so jealous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here