Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mylab123

Princess Alexandra of Kent

mylab123
13 years ago

I'm wanting to grow some deeper pink rose bushes mainly for bloom cutting for indoors. The bush needs to be fairly short, shorter in height than six feet and a good repeater bloomer. I live in zone five, don't get much snow but sometimes the winters can be dry.

I don't know much about rose growing - I put in an Abe Darby twelve years ago which was a glorious bush but died last year - it was beautiful but I didn't find the blooms to be good for cutting as the cups were too heavy to hold themselves upright on the stems while in a vase, the color was a little too light pink for my taste and the bush was gigantic. It was a fairly nice repeater though, but this time I want to put in something with a deeper pink color, a good repeater (important), a short growing bush.

In trying to figure out what is out there that would fit my bill, I came across a picture of Princess Alexandra of Kent which I think looks lovely and seems to fit what it is that I want. If you have grown this rose bush, would you rate it for me? I'm not experienced in rose growing so appreciate any and all advice you can offer, or any alternatives you think would suit my purpose better. I plan to put in three bushes in one area backed by a wood fence, perhaps all the same bush and I read somewhere that Princess Alex of Kent is nice planted in threes due to it's smaller size. I think that maybe planting three would make it nice for the main purpose for blooms indoors and still maintaining a nice amount of blooms for an attractive appearance in the bed.

Thank you very much!

Comments (12)

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Bishop's Castle is a beautiful Austin that makes a lovely cut flower, outstanding fragrance.

It doesn't grow very large, and repeats well.

{{gwi:214642}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I've also been very pleased with BC, and was surprised to find that it was a pretty good (well, better than Abe, anyway) cut flower as well. It does "nod" though--for strong, straight stems, Austins are not the ones to choose--'Queen of Sweden' appears more upright, but the flowers are reported to be on the ephemeral side.

PAOK looks very beautiful. I'd like to try that one myself.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

* Bump *

Could someone comment of it's vase life?

I would like to hear more reviews about this rose too, because this rose is going to be release here in Aust.

I want this rose - but it looks like it's going to be a small, bushy rose just like the crocus rose. I just don't like the small leaves form on the crocus rose.

• predfern
    13 years ago

Buck roses like Earthsong are good repeaters. Kordes has some Freelander roses that last a long time in the vase.

• cltroses
    13 years ago

I called David Austin because I need a new pink rose to replace Sharifa Asma. Sharifa Asma got huge for me and is very productive, but I just didn't like how quickly the flowers aged, and they had such soft petals. The lady who answered the phone went through some of their pink roses with me, and we decided on Princess Alexandra of Kent. She said it does very well in the vase. I ordered one and am looking forward to growing it.

Scott

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

I just found a youtube clip on the 'Princess Alexandra of kent' rose - if anyone's interested. (In german)

The flowers look gigantic. That's what I want!! But it does look a bit like an orangy-pink colour as someone pointed out in another thread.

I'll probably get it for the size of those blooms!

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGe0s9StZvw

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube: Princess alexandra of kent rose (german)

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

jumbojimmy, I just watched the video of the Princess Alexandra of Kent rose (could even understand it because I am from Germany ;-)). Wow, I think it did me in. What a lovely gorgeous rose. I believe, your are right there seemed to be yellow orange in the center of the blooms, they remind me a little bit of Abraham Darby, but PAoK seems to grow much more compact, which would be great. If she is healthier in terms of rust than AD she would be a real winner. It went on my wish list.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

I'm LOVING Princess Alexandra of Kent! It's the first year. Buds look like a hybrid tea and then they open to a HUGE old English rose form, with a darker middle. Good vase life for me too.
    Here she is in bud:
    {{gwi:214644}}
    And here she is in full bloom:
    {{gwi:214645}}

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

Wow! That looks so pretty! I might order it next year.

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

Here's the Princess when she is fully open - truly the biggest rose in my garden of 175 roses.

{{gwi:214646}}

• dani33
    9 years ago

How big does PAoK get? I am more concerned with her width. I have read that she gets 4x4 and I have read that she gets 3.5 x 2.5. I have a space of 10 feet and was wondering if I could plant PAoK with Belinda (separated by lavender). Wonder if I'd have enough room and how it would look. Any suggestions?