Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Just started pruning. When do you do it?

caflowerluver
9 years ago

I am a little late but not by much. I am on the Central Coast CA and the roses never go dormat. I had to cut off some buds, which I hate to do. The roses would bloom all year long if I let them.
It does make it hard to do trades since everyone else pruned in the Fall and now their roses are under a couple feet of snow. Anyone else just starting to prune and interested in a trade?
Clare

Comments (8)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Roses that never go dormant (sigh). Unless you want some dead looking sticks, I don't have anything to trade. I won't be pruning till the first half of March.
    But I do love your name (and it's spelled the right way, too-ha). Clare is a beloved family name for me. Diane

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diane - Thanks. It is a family name with me too and passed down several generations. Alas, it ends me. One son and no daughters. DH didn't go for the name Clarence for our son. LOL

Maybe we can do a trade in the future. If no one shows any interest in the cuttings I might try to root them and later trade rooted cuttings.
    Clare

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Clare, we've used the name Clare for both male and female family members. My Dad and half brother were named Clare, but they were named a long time ago. My older granddaughter is named Clare, plus a few of us have it as middle names. It's a lovely name for girls now, but not so popular for boys, I agree. Diane
    Sorry for going off topic!

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Here in North Texas, we are advised to prune a few days before or on/around Valentine's Day. Personally, with over 100, (thankfully, many are still babies and don't need pruning) I'll be starting around February 10th.

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Here in Mid- Arizona (just south of Sedona) I started this week and will be finished by next week, weather permitting. The roses were already showing signs of new growth.
    The snow has finally melted and now we just have rain.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

What are you pruning and thinking of trading?

I think I will start on mine Thursday

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delay in replying but I just came back to the post. I checked the box to have the replies sent to me but they never arrived.

Here is a list of legal roses that I will have cuttings to trade:

Old Garden Roses
    Aimee Vibert Scandens (1828)Climber 9-15ft.; White Noisette; Repeats; Musk fragrance
    Duchesse de Brabant (1857)Tea; Lt. Pink Cupped Double; Repeats; Strong Tea fragrance
    Felicite et Perpetue (1827)Rambler 15-20ft.; White/Pink; Blooms once; Mild fragrance

Hybrid Tea & Others
    Bewitched (1967) Hybrid Tea, Bright Pink, Damask fragrance
    Brandy (1982) Hybrid Tea, Apricot, Mild Sweet Tea fragrance
    Brass Band (1993) Floribunda; Tree, Apricot Orange, Mild Damask fragrance
    Double Delight (1977) Hybrid Tea, Dk. Pink/Cream, Strong Spicy fragrance
    French Lace (1982) Floribunda, Pinkish White, Mild Spicy fragrance
    Heirloom (1972) Hybrid Tea, Lilac, Strong fragrance
    JFK (1965) Hybrid Tea, White, Strong fragrance
    Joseph's coat (1969) Floribunda Climber, Red/Orange blend Moderate, fruity fragrance
    Mister Lincoln (1964) Hybrid Tea, Deep Red, Strong fragrance
    Oranges & Lemons (1994) Floribunda Hybrid Tea, Orange & orange blend striped blooms; Mild fragrance
    Paradise (1978)Hybrid Tea, Purple & Pink bi-color, Strong Rose fragrance
    Snowfire (1970) Hybrid Tea, White reverse, red top, Mild fragrance - FEW CUTTINGS
    Sterling Silver (1957) Hybrid Tea, Lilac, Strong Citrus Sweet fragrance -FEW CUTTINGS
    Sundowner (1978) Apricot, Grandiflora, Strong fragrance
    Tropicana (1960) Hybrid Tea, Coral Orange, Strong Fruity fragrance

Got the information from HMF. Anyone interested?
    Clare

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

I have been hard at work pruning and don't have many unpruned roses left. Too bad, maybe next year. I am trying to root a yellow sport of Chicago Peace this winter. I usually have good luck rooting cuttings outside in winter.