Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hi,

Can you help me select an alternate rose for Moonstone? This rose will be place along a driveway, but in an area without a lot of foot traffic. Moonstone is beautiful, but I fear that it will become too tall, and I am not sure if it will become leggy like some hybrid teas, so a floribunda would actually be preferred. I am searching for a similar look, white edged with pink, but a height of about 3-4'. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Lynn

Comments (35)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Moonstone is actually one of the fuller HTs in my garden, but it gets to be 7' tall.

I'm kind of stuck on a flori, maybe Belami (Elegant Fairy Tale), a Kordes, but it might be too pink. Oh, duh, Summer Fashion! But, it isn't easy to find.

Might I suggest a miniature? Joy is lovely, but it might also get beyond 4' tall in your zone.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

diane_nj,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking to purchase a rose to plant as soon as it can be shipped, hopefully within the next week. I think a mini would get lost in the area and I hoped for a rose whose blooms would make more of an impact. I could probably keep a 5' rose down to 4'. In mid to late August, we chop the top 1/3 off of most moderns and clean them up a bit as normal protocol.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

I am so in love with Guinevere. Although she is white with a pink tint not edge. Blooms all the time and stays around 3-4 ft...very full. Garden Party is another suggestion but might get a little taller. Secret might work also. French Lace is cream with a pink tint...another favorite of mine. Good Luck with your search. Lesley

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Moonstone will get big. 8 feet here. I'm thinking more something like Regensberg would be nice. That would be if the area is in full sun all the time. Or else Our Lady of Guadalupe. If there is some significant shade, I'd go with LoveStruck. All three are bloom machines.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesley,

Is Guinevere the Harkness rose? If so, HMF has it listed as an Apricot blend?? The images of Secret and Garden Party appear white edged in pink, and look as though they would be perfect, but, HMF has them both listed as yellow with pink, not whiteâ¦.???

kstrong, I like OLoG a lot. The rose will receive morning sun and a couple hours of afternoon sun so heat tolerance is a must for the summers. I had a feeling that Moonstone would become too tall as roses do not go dormant here either.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Our Lady of Guadalupe is similar in coloring but more pink than white. A white with a darker edge is Cherry Parfait. There are a lot of floris that might fit the bill or a small shrub rose too. I think there are several Buck shrub roses that might have the coloring you want.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Seil,

I have always moved away from Buck roses as somewhere I got the notion that they are intended for cold climates?? Cold climate roses, I was advised a while back, should not be a "go to" for here, and to look at the zones ratings as a point of reference among other factors in determining if the rose will be able to tolerate the summer here.

This rose will be in the vicinity of Belinda's Dream so my goal is to find a white, with a pink that would look nice with the B.D. pink.

I really like OLoG but it seems as though it might look blah next to B.D. or just kind of blend in to the color scheme.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Cherry parfait is a beauty. Wish she had a fragrance...and while I am wishing, wish moonstone survived Chicago winters!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

California dreamin?

• kstrong
    10 years ago

My next two thoughts were Easter Basket and Escapade. Don't worry -- you won't see much yellow in Easter Basket unless it rains. The yellow fades out as soon as the bloom opens, even here on the coast. But it leave a nice pink/white combo after the yellow fades.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Desert...I can only speak to my garden here in KY. Yes, Guinevere is a Harkness rose. It is creamy white with a slight pink blush to it. I see no yellow in French Lace or Secret. My eye is usually pretty good..I taught art for 25 years but location and sun exposure might make the difference. Good Luck in your search. Lesley .

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Easter basket is yummy, too.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesley,

The images on HMF appear the way you describe, and the websites that sell the rose list it as cream blushed with pink; or white, definitely not yellow. That description could be an error.

Guinevere really is gorgeous!!!! I have been searching for a pink rose to place in front of my Don Juan climber. Guinevere is now a contender for sure.

Thank you so much for your help. Btw, I have enjoyed seeing the posted images of your beautiful garden.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 22:58

• susan4952
    10 years ago

You 're welcome .

Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan4952,

I am typing on my IPad mini due to its portability, and pasted elements from an e-mail, deleting everything except for part of a greeting, managed to skip right over Easter Basket, which is absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes I do not know why I do not wait to use my computer to read posts/post ( as I type on my IPad mini....) as I am always editing what I type on this little screen.

I am partial to dark green leaves as well. HMF has it listed as a "yellow" blend too???? It isn't reading yellow at all. How does it appear in person?

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

'Secret' grows vigorously to 6 ft.+ here. I notice some breeders use yellow instead of ivory in descriptions. Obviously not women.

'Garden Party' was more of a pale yellow that faded out to white. I loved its elegant blooms, especially when the pale yellow was present. Alas, too disease prone here. I love the combination of soft pinks and soft yellows.

Have you considered a smaller bloom like 'Gourmet Popcorn'? I saw a pic of 'Eden' and 'Jeanne La Joie' together on a trellis and the combination of lg. blms. with the mini was excruciatingly beautiful.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Iris_gal,

I was hoping to find a white with a complimentary pink edging, or a rose with a deep contrasting color to be placed near Belinda's Dream. Honestly, I have an aversion to minis; I found the deadheading process a royal pain and often wanted to break out my hedgers to just cut away....

Lynn

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Lynn, what about "Falling in Love". The local rosarian here recommended it and it has a similar look to "Moonstone". I had no idea "Moonstone" got that tall! Mine is a standard, but it does handle heat well.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Both Garden Party and Falling in Love are HTs and will have the same tall lanky growth habit of Moonstone. My Garden Party can get 6 or 7 feet tall in a good season. And Falling in Love is THE THORNIEST rose on the planet!

I did a search on HMF and came up with a few more suggestions. These should all be readily available online. There were more but they looked like they'd be hard to find.

Aperitif
    Charles Asnavour
    Hanna Gordon
    Nicole
    La Marne

They're all listed as white with pink edges. Take a look at them and see if any of them are what you'd like.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

well, Seil, having grown all those, here are my comments.

Charles Asnavour (usually sold as "Seduction" here) -- kind of like a mini -- smallish plant, small flowers.
    Apertif -- okay rose, but doesn't bloom enuf.
    Hanna Gordon -- this rose is sold in nurseries as Nicole, so I am thinking you probably mean the same rose with this one. Can be 9 or 10 feet. It's a climber (yeah I know they say florrie, but it's not). One big rose. The real Nicole on the other hand would be a fabulous choice, but it's not commercially available in the U.S. I have one, but I don't know anyplace you can buy it, because the U.S. commercial industry sells the real Hannah Gordon under the name Nicole.
    La Marne -- good choice.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info on them, Kathy! I've only grown La Marne my self, and of course my climate is very different from Lynn's, so your input is very valuable!

Like I said, I did an advanced search at HMF for a white flori/shrub/poly that had pink edges and these were the most common ones that came up. There were quite a few others but they didn't look like they were available easily here.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF search

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

My beef with Moonstone is the split centers and terrible rust. I'm going to dig out my last one.

White with pink--'Sharifa Asma'? Doesn't get that tall, stupendous fragrance. Not high-centered, though. 'Sweet Vivian' stays 3-4', but who sells that one anymore?

{{gwi:214765}}

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Roses Unlimited sells "Sweet Vivien" 1961

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Nicole is a good choice

Original Author
    10 years ago

Years ago, I grew Nicole, or Hannah Gordon, or Tabrizâ¦. I really do not know which rose it actually was. It was easily 7' tall, but gorgeous. It is still one of my favorites but too tall for the space.

HMF has La Marne listed as a salmon pink???

Hoovb, I very unsuccessfully grew Sharifa Asma about 12 years ago. Unfortunately, I do not remember what the issue was, but think it was poor placement. I find myself drawn to this rose over and over again. Are you familiar with its heat tolerance?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Are you familiar with its heat tolerance

Couldn't tell you--not super hot here.

• azurerose
    10 years ago

Johann Strauss might fit the bill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johann Strauss

• susan4952
    10 years ago

My Jeanne la joie would be a floppy spider without a trellis. Pretty rose, tho.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

If you want something that is white with pink edging, I would suggest one of these two varieties. First is a look at Crescendo which is also quite fragrant and consistent in flower quality.

{{gwi:214766}}

The other one I might suggest is Gemini which is variable in color and has flower edges ranging from pink to coral.

{{gwi:214767}}

Perhaps one of these two would fill your bill.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I am so overwhelmed but have made a list of your suggestions, hoping to see them during my visit to Huntington Gardens in the Spring or at my local nursery. I think then my choice will be instantaneous; I hope.....

Thanks so much for you help:)

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 13:33

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Just a few thoughts from a hot summer climate on a couple of roses mentioned here. SECRET while a wonderful rose, does better in cooler climates, Our LADY OF GUADALUPE does just fine in our heat and after 7 years or so here still isn't over 4 feet tall. I can't imagine ever being without this wonderful rose in my garden.... I grew GUINEVERE as a standard and found it's blooms quite lovely. Don't remember any problems with heat tolerance..... EASTER BASKET was in our city's rose garden chock full of blooms in late summer after our usual months of blast furnance heat. It was noticelable from a distance and was on the shorter rounded side. Very nice. I don't grow it, but you may want to check into it for yourself. Good Luck......Maryl

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Gemini is more of a pale coral edge in Chicago.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And check out princess grace and elegant lady.

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

the_bustopher shows Crescendo above.

On the HMF page linked below (you'll have to click over to the description page afterward) we see Excellent ratings for color, form, hardiness, and disease resistance.

However, the rose is ONLY "good." Could someone explain that math to me? Also can anyone confirm or deny its blackspot resistance?

It's new.

Has it really been properly reviewed?

I have no experience with it, but, well, just look... In Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Crescendo'

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

A more consistent link for "In Florida":

Here is a link that might be useful: Crescendo In Florida