Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redwolfdoc_z5

Design opinions, please!

redwolfdoc_z5
10 years ago

Hello!

I'm wondering what to pair with my Julia Child.... About Face is behind her and there's purple Caradonna sage and some blue iris nearby. I need another rose to complete the tableau!

I'm leaning towards the same colour group (yellows) but I'm open to ideas.

What are some of your favourite yellow combos?

Karen

Comments (9)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Well - I like bright - so - I'd like something like Stephen's Big Purple

In this row I have from left to right Stephen's Big Purple (which in real life looks VERY purple), Gina Lollobrigida, Ch-Ching and Peter Mayle. The colors look much better on the two darker roses in real life. I really like the look. :)

I can't seem to get my picture loaded. Oh well - says the file is too large. Good luck with your decision. :)
    Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have two Julias opposite each other across our front sidewalk, leading up a slope to our front porch. Below them are two smaller yellow floribundas, Bernstein-Rose plants. Above the Julias grow two purple Ebb Tide roses. To the side of one Julia is a purple Twilight Zone. The flower beds in this area are planted with a purple-wine-yellow color scheme, accented with pink, a little blue, and a bit of white. It works, I think. I do have two Big Purple roses in another area, and I am not pleased with them, but what doesn't work for me works for Carol, and might work for you.
    Here is photo illustrating some the above plantings. Diane
    I'm having the same problem as Carol. All my files best illustrating these plantings are too large for Garden Web.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

You can see Bernstein-Rose below Julia and between them is the perennial, Jupiter's Beard (valerian). The other Julia is across the sidewalk, and also has Jupiter's Beard and B-R below it. This is such a bad pic. I've got to do something about the file situation.
    Now here is Julia with Twilight Zone to her side. Ddiane

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, very nice! Diane, the deep purple of Twilight Zone is stunning against the JC. Do you find TZ fades much? And is it still a nice contrast with JC when it does? I also like the wine tones. Hmmm, perhaps Cinco de Mayo would be a nice one...

Carol, thank you! I wish I could see your picture. I copied pics of all those roses separately and put them together though, and the colours are gorgeous - so lively! Peter Mayle is rated as 7b and warmer on HMF - how does it do for you in chilly zone 3? Obviously you give winter protection?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stephen's Big Purple and Gina Lollobridgida are also rated 7b on HMF! I'm impressed...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Twilight Zone doesn't fade, or at least hasn't been noticed by me. Ebb Tide fades badly, but blooms more than TZ and smells better TZ, ET is a floribunda and TZ is a grandiflora. Hope that helps a little. Diane

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Redwolf - In the picture, you can see that they're all in pots. So I get my husband to wheel all of the roses into the garage and I cover them with blankets, sheets, etc. and overwinter them there. They all survive - I have about 50 roses and I'm getting more this year!! :) We have a 3 car garage with two cars, work benches and 50 roses!!! LOL

All of the roses in that picture (except for the 2 most right pink ones) are from the center plant - Mother of Pearl. No scent - but an awesome rose!!
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Mine is next to Home Run and they're very bright together but I like the purple idea too.

• grambu
    10 years ago

hi Karen, interesting that your posting should come up now. I live in a condo and on my porch I have 3 pots next to each other. The first one is Julia, next to that is the climber , dublin Bay, on the other side of that is
    Honey Perfume. I hope as they continue to grow against a white porch railing that the red dublin bay will grow along the top to the railing and the 2 yellow roses on either side will look good against the red climber. good luck, Judith