Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ging_gw

Yellow rose suggestions

Virginia White
11 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for yellow roses (don't have to be pure yellow - have seen some lovely ones with pink/red accents) that are a good, deep yellow and don't fade out to white as they age with, preferably, attractive foliage. Fragrance would be a plus. I realize I could do some of this on my own, but I'd rather have some firsthand experience and opinions rather than trusting in biased sellers' comments. (Mom is the one asking about a lot of this - I'd love some climber rec's as well.)
I have seen the Knockout yellow and it was a bit pale to me.
Really appreciate your time and help,
Thanks,
Ging

Comments (14)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Hi Ging, I have Nacodoches, also called "Grandma's Yellow", and really like it - it's bright, doesn't fade, and is incredibly healthy here in Texas. It's on the Texas Super Stars list.

Good luck!

• julia034
    11 years ago

I am buying Julia Child this year. I have heard wonderful thing in this forums about her. Jungs has them for 17.95 on there own root but i think ill get the 4 for 57.95 . More is always better right :-)

• susan4952
    11 years ago

My JC does well even in partial shade. A very nice rose.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Julia Child has been a wonderful garden rose for me. Very little disease and lots of blooms. Golden Celebration can black spot pretty bad but it blooms well and smells divine!

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the response! I looked up the Nacodoches and it is a stunner. The Julia Child might be the better rose for Mom as she has a lot of shade and getting a true full sun spot might be difficult. I've got to say the Julia Child has a fabulous bloom - maybe a double?
    I may have to get both. As Julia034 said, 'more is always better, right'? :)
    Thanks so much,
    Ging

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well ladies, here it is. I found someone who got the Julia Child for me and while I find a spot that is 'perfect' for it blooms just keep appearing. Wanted to thank you all for your input and help. I'm going to try to add a Nacodoches to the landscape in the future if I can find one - it was awfully good looking, too. I realize it's not the best time to plant a rose in the southeast, but I'll give it all the attention it needs and make sure it pulls through the worst of the summer.
    (Mom got one, too, and I get repeated calls about how pleased she is.)
    Thank you again,
    Ging

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I would also recommend Nacogdoches and Julia Child, but want to add Sparkle and Shine - a newer rose. I found it at a large nursery on sale for $5. A friend got one too and we have both been very pleased. It doesnt fade and is a wonderful shade of bright yellow. If you can find one of these - grab it. Its a good one!

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

St Patrick is nice. As is easy going. Also Lady Hillingdon if you can find it.

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you want to bet I end up with a yard full of yellow roses? :) I'm going to look into all of these and thank you! I'm also going to look for some roses with pink/dark pink accents and streaking in yellow/peach roses. Mom had one that probably was an old fashioned rose that unfortunately died. Really loved it (a climber) and would love to eventually add one like it to the property.
    You all are the best and thanks,
    Ging

• Wister_fr
    10 years ago

same here even i'm finding for it. it would be great if anyone help me.!!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Julia is a great choice, but for future reference, don't forget the David Austin shrub Molineux. I personally like it much better than Golden Celebration, partly because it is smaller and definitely because it is much more disease-resistant. Molineux is my favorite rose--wonderful full golden yellow (with a touch of apricot in the center) blooms.

Kate

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

JC is a great butter yellow, but if you are looking for a sunnier yellow, Sunsprite is a really good one. As far as bicolors, Rio Samba is my all time favorite...not as fragrant as JC or Sunsprite, but a nice light scent and just a show stopper. Love and Peace is also a good bicolor, but again, not as fragrant as JC or Sunsprite.

• serge94501
    10 years ago

Sparkle and Shine wasn't so great for me. Quickly faded and then disintegrated. I have 8 tree roses and the S&S has the shortest-lived blooms. The color when first open is amazing...but it doesn't last. I am in 10a Northern California.