Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Anxious for Spring!

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

We had a few days of very spring-like weather here, it can sure get a person spoiled and give you a serious case of spring fever and rose fever, all at the same time! The only cure will be when spring has actually arrived! I goofed last year and didn't do enough planning ahead of time. I planted some roses that didn't even survive through the summer, because of not being cared for properly after planting. I have a design idea that I think will look good if I do it right. I have hired a young man, who seems eager to get started, so hopefully with his help I'll do a better job this time! My established roses are all looking good so far, I am thankful for that.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 11:59

Comments (12)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, Your rose pics looked great from last year, beautiful blooms and healthy foliage. How do you think you goofed? What would you have done differently? Just curious.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kentucky_rose. Thank you. My established roses are fine, and those are mostly the ones that you have seen pictures of. I planted quite a few roses last year, and I didn't care for some of them properly, so they didn't make it. The ones that did make it are looking okay and hopefully I'll start getting quite a few blooms from them this year. I love my roses and they bring me much enjoyment, so I do need to make sure they all do as good as possible.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, I am anxiously awaiting for spring, too, and hoping the roses survived the winter/early spring. Next comes the anticipation of the performance of last year's establishing roses, along with the new varieties yet to come in 2015; I love it.

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

I'm in coastal southern California, we don't really have a real winter here. There are some rose blooms right now on a few of the plants, although the blooms tend to be smaller and the growth much less vigorous than at other times of the year. The roses don't really like the summers either, too hot and dry (except the ones planted in shadier areas).

We also had a week of very sunny warm weather. Many of the bare root roses we had just planted started leafing out. (in this climate, mid-winter is as good a time as spring for planting roses or fruit trees, gives the tree plenty of time to grow before the scorching summers)

This post was edited by Socal2warm on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 15:23

• lesmc
    9 years ago

OH...me too! I am so tired of grey skies and gloom. We have sun today,although cold. I went out and spread some larkspur seeds! I did some in the fall and hope they all come up this spring.I am winter sowing some seeds, fooling with some orchids and even bought some bloom buster miracle grow today. Guess I am a little crazy! Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I'll join the club here. I'm way ready for spring! I may see my first crocus in late March but no roses until June probably. I've walked the roses a couple of times but I can't see much under the snow, lol!

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Here is some crocus for you seil, this is the really early late winter/ early spring blooming ones :) Hope you enjoy!

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

It's funny that every year I am not anxious for spring. My garden is large and the pruning and clean up are huge. I barely make it every year before spring begins to get things into shape. When it all comes together I am so thrilled. I rather like the exciting delay.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I feel that way too! There are so many chores to do, if weather permits, that I am happy to delay spring, wanting to get so much done. Working on taxes right now - that has to get done now or I will put it off once weather is warm. I saw a bud on an iris today! And new leaves on the bridal wreath! First signs of spring for me. It will get here so quick - I must pot up some roses in beds that where I am going to enlarge my deck and put in some stone beds, so have to get going on that. Lots of tasks that can be done now - then when spring comes....can do other fun things. I am piddling with daylily seedlings that I grew from seeds last fall - this is fun, watching them grow. They wont bloom for another year, but the promise of some new and different blooms is exciting. What is everyone else doing in the pre-spring season?
    Judith

• smithdale
    9 years ago

My snowdrops take my breath away every Jan, one day they're foliage & the next day they're nodding their heads. They certainly are promiscuous, I planted 100 corms 3 years ago in a front garden bed & now they're everywhere! They are in the gravel path, all over the other beds & have even leapt the fence & are in one of the raspberry patches. This is my kind of gardening. Walking along the waterfront I spotted some iris reticulata in bloom, the Spring engine is revving up. Are we ready?
    Jane

• susan4952
    9 years ago

sooooo ready in Chicago, all ready to go. Mother Nature has other plans. 8-12 inches of snow expected . I look at it as prespring soaking and insulation
    To get us thru February...the month when the earth cleanses itself in readiness for SPRING. I guess I am ready. After Xmas its a wild slide to FLOWER TIME.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I am ready for spring too and it's hard not to prune roses when the weather is pretty. I usually don't prune until the middle of February. Today we cleaned out the dead limbs in the azalea bushes and cleaned up around some beds.