Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjpeace

What is your New Year Resolutions on your garden?

Happy New Year everyone. I was wondering if anyone have some new year resolution with regards to their gardens. I got a few but I probably will not stick with it (lol) but it will be fun to see if I managed to stick with a few of them as I come back to read this post in the summer.

Here they are as follows:

I will not buy any rose on impulse when I visit garden centers in the spring. Therefore I will stick to my list of roses to buy.

I will try to pair roses next to each other that will look good together in terms of colours, hue and bush type. I wanted a rainbow of colours in my gardens but I have noticed that some colours tend to clash a bit or seem lost next to others. I have to look at my colour wheel this spring.

I will expand my front yard garden this year. It has been unchanged since many years. I am thinking of a more semi-formal front garden. I will try to convince my muscle that it need to work hard this coming spring!

I am crossing my fingers that I will at least accomplish at least one of them. lol.

Comments (23)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Great resolutions, JJ! However, I can see a definite problem with that first one, lol!

I just want to be able to maintain what I have in good order this year. I have some room and I got rose money for Christmas so I will be adding a few. But I really need to just keep things weeded and clean this season. Last spring I had so much to dig out and replace that I got way behind on the other stuff and never really caught up with it.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will definitely add yours to my list as well Seil. I find start weeding in early spring before they spread in the summer helps. But weed is part of gardening, all part of the "fun".

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Mine is simple. Finish ordering the few roses that I want in the spring and finish bordering all the beds. Probably do 2 rose shows this year. One in the spring and one in the fall. Talk roses with anyone that will listen and keep the roses at the church I attend in good shape.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Here's mine:

1. Get the beds cleaned up this time.

2. Do more mulching and fertilizing.

3. Get rid of under-performers and plant some of the many potted roses in their places.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

My list is simple as well:

1. Increase mulching and fertilizing

2. After the spring flush, evaluate every plant in the garden, toss out roses that still aren't doing well after three years in the ground, and fine-tune the overall garden design.

3. Pray for rain.

Ingrid

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

This will be my second year with young roses. I didn't fertilize much the first year, so I have a resolution to follow a fertilizing program this year. Here is a video from Loren Nancarrow with a recipe I will try. I was sorry to learn that Loren passed away, but his advice lives on. He has other videos where he offers environmentally friendly pest solutions. My second resolution will be to pass up those cute grocery store minis, although I'm not sorry that I bought a few last year. I'm looking forward to watching my garden fill in with more foliage and blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top ten secrets-Loren Nancarrow

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Mine would be the same as Beth's and Ingrid's on the mulching and fertilizing, especially on the mulching! Generally, just be more attentive to the overall maintenance and upkeep of my rose beds. Try to figure out which Austins to plant, because I really want a few, but I am having a difficult time deciding.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Sara, that's my problem with the Austin's too. I have two yellow ones and would love some other colors but I can never decide which ones, lol!

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Oh I love this thread! My resolutions are to:

1 - Not panic everytime my roses have PM or BS and cut the canes off. Did that last summer a few times...

2 - Get all my roses ordered before May so I can get them planted early... last year I was buying roses all summer long and was still planting them in September.

3 - Keep track of my receipts so when things don't make it I can get plants replaced. I'm really bad about this.

4 - Order David Austins for the garden beds along my house. 2 ordered... 4 to go.

5 - Add roses to my big pollinator garden to provide some height... plus more roses!

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there is lots more I should be doing.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Kill the rose midges in my garden.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

My resolution is for the winter months - I resolve to try to stay calm when my roses freeze & look like they're not going to make it thru the icy weather. Last winter & beginning of spring I was in a total panic. I ended up losing 9 out of 21 roses & this was after winter protecting them. I totally did not enjoy the 2014 rose season even though I bought new roses.

I want to enjoy whatever happens; if I have to buy new roses to replace the ones that don't make it, so be it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

View, you really can't go by last winter...I hope. That was a really brutal one and many of us lost a lot of roses as a result. This winter seems to be more average, so far, and knock wood that I didn't just jinx that, lol.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Here in NY we got our first inch of snow today & temps in the 20s. I sure hope you're right seil about this being an average winter. And no, I really don't think you jinxed anything, just trying to be optimistic.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

I was too busy taking care of my wife last season, who recently passed from ALS, but it looks like I only lost one rose, an own root HT single that never really got going in the first place--out of over 200 roses. All I had time for was to cover them with burlap.

• buford
    9 years ago

So sorry for your loss zach.

My resolution is to get every potted rose in the ground so I don't have to do the pot polka, in the garage/basement when it gets cold, back out again when it isn't. With temps going down to the teens tonight, I still have some pots to bring it. I have all the ones upstairs in the garage and I tried to get all the ones in the backyard in the basement last night, but the light has apparently burned out so I will have to go out there this AM to see what is left (and change the light bulb).

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Zack, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's passing. Truly sad news.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Mine is to get the rose seed I was given to actually grow into rose plants. I've had no success with that so far.

Original Author
    9 years ago

My condolences Zach. She will live on in your mind and heart. May she be somewhere where roses are forever beautiful and forever lasting.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

My resolution would be keep the camera ready and take plenty of pictures! Next December I want to be able to contribute to the 12 Days of Christmas. I did enjoy the thread.

Zach, my condolences for your loss.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Well Seil, you are right, I broke my first resolution already. lol. It is nice to look back and see what everyone thoughts was and is now.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Zach, sorry about your loss.

I just sprayed Grass B Gon last night, not sure if it worked, grass is not gone yet.....now I think I'd like to find an idea on how to kill a rabbit, a big fat rabbit, ate all my roses. I'd like to use less chemical spray on my roses later, but I need to clear the bugs, grass in my rose gardens first, at least for the front yard. For the back yard I will try chemical free after I spray the weed killer tomorrow, don't like weeds.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh we got those rabbit problems a few years ago until my dad barricaded the whole yard with chicken wire from top to bottom. That solve the problem. Sure the fence is an eye sore but at least we get to admire the roses and vegetables...lol.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    8 years ago

You know jjpeace, the chicken wire is perfect for clematis to climb! We are building a fence out of wood posts and chicken wire this summer to keep the rabbits and my dogs out. The only thing that makes me okay with this ugly fence is that I can grow clematis on it!