Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Ordered on Fortuniana

I have ordered these from the society fundraiser.
Coming as 2 gallons for pick up in April. All are on Fortuniana:
Parade LCL 2
Baronne Henriette de Snoy Tea 1897
Reve D'Or Noisette 2 Ducher 1869
Felicia HMusk 2 Pemberton/Bentall 1928
Francis Dubreuil Tea 2 1894
Lady X HT Meilland 1965
Blueberry Hill FB 3
Sexy Rexy FB 3
Lemon Spice 2 HT Armstrong 1966
Can't wait to compare growth habits of rootstocks.
Susan

Comments (10)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Just a question - if these are all on Fortuniana, what will you be comparing them with?

Jackie

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

When you plant them, plant the graft at ground level. And next winter, winter protect them. Once they get through a couple of good hard freezes the rootstock should be fine. I've got 33 rose's on fortuniana rootstock and will be adding 8 more this spring ( this is my 5th winter up here ). I have never lost a rose to rootstock failure from the cold. 16 on Dr Huey and 20+ own root with more to come this spring ( Roses Unlimited ).

• TNY78
    11 years ago

You'll love Francis Dubreuil, just such a unique color for a Tea! This is the fist winter for mine, and I hope it does well.

I have Sexy Rexy and really like its color...doesn't fade or blow too quick.

Good luck :)
    Tammy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I too would like 'Lemon Spice' on Fort. Mine was not particularly vigorous own-root, and yet was such a beautiful, fragrant flower...please let us know how they do.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Of the one's you have on order, These are the one's I've grown (on fortuniana). Felicia---Nice big bushy bush with lots of blooms. Francis Dubreuil---Not the nicest bush I've ever seen but "WOW" the blooms. Plant them fairly close together. The bush shoots straight up. It needs afternoon shade so the blooms won't burn. Blueberry Hill---Again I wasn't to wild about the bush habit (grows side ways) but the blooms were nice. Lady X---Nice bush but grew tall. Keep it cut to 4'. I think you'll like it. Lemon Spice---Give it afternoon shade and it will probably end up being your favorite. It can be a little stingy.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, and particularly Ken for the growing advice! Could I send you my entire rose order for comment and critique? Would make my life so much easier! *wink*
    Ken, is your garden on HMF?
    Jac, I will be comparing them to the same rose I ordered ownroot or on Dr. Huey.
    Susan

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Susan---No, my garden is not on HMF. I've only been up here in N.GA. for 4 1/2 yrs. Started growing roses in S.FL. back in 1975-76. Learned as I went from other top notch rosarians and over the years grew a lot of different roses. Got bit by the exhibiting bug back in 1989. More for garden, total bush and flower habit. I've won my fair share of stuff over the years but enjoy being called the "cheepskate" of the exhibitors. I still drive the hard core exhibitors nuts and I've only done two shows this past year. I'm keeping my garden under 100 bushs, so I'm being fussy about what I put in. I've learned over the years to try and grow a little bit of everything as far as roses go. Each rose has it's own beauty and what I like, someone else might not. Don't get overwhilmed and enjoy your roses.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken for the tips. K and M had to revise what they have available--Lady X is out and they don't have Reve D'Or (which i really wanted) so I have added Sombreuil
    Belinda's Dream
    Stephen's Big Purple
    Hot Cocoa
    Sugar Moon
    Mutablis
    I will report on how they do. I'm still intimidated by exhibiting but I noticed at the TNARKY show there weren't many OGR's so I guess that will be my first foray into showing.
    Susan

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

You'll love Belinda's Dream and Hot Cocoa on fort. BD is a big, wide bush covered in foliage and blooms. Most blooming stems want to spray in 3/5 blooms. I like taking the center buds out and letting the outside buds bloom as one. HC is the same way except the foliage is very dark green from the top of the bush to the ground. I've grown HC on both Dr. Huey and fortuniana. Dr. Huey gave me a scrawney, twiggy mess of a bush. Fortuniana was fantastic. Sombreuil will need a support the first year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I'll be curious to learn how your Blueberry Hill does on fort. I have one on Dr Huey, and it's quite large. And yes, it likes to grow sideways, but mine also wants to be a climber (at least part of it), and is growing up the side of the house. Needless to say, this doesn't look good, so it's in for some pruning this spring. I also have two Big Purple roses on multiflora (alkaline soil here, so not the best for this rose). I'm not real happy with their bloom production. So I'd love to hear about your luck with BP. Diane