Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Garden Watchdog Top Five Awards for Rose Nurseries

There was a recent announcement of award winners for 2012 on the DG website. For rose nurseries these are:

Antique and Species Roses
High Country Roses
Antique Rose Emporium
Northland Rosarium
Angel Gardens
Pickering Nurseries

Modern Roses
High Country Roses
Northland Rosarium
Burlington Rose Nursery
Angel Gardens
Palatine Roses

The awards are based on positive reviews in 2012.

Melissa

Comments (17)

• Alana8aSC
    11 years ago

Rogue valley not on their and it's on their website. Hope my order comes in good, it was a rather big one.Everyone's said their good so no worries here.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

I've also had good experiences with Rogue Valley Roses, Heirloom Roses and Vintage Gardens. When I looked at the Garden Watchdog reviews, I found a general paucity of votes either way for these three companies, which likely kept them from being nominated for the top awards. RVR and Heirloom each had only one negative vote in the last 12 months, but only a few positives. Vintage had only one vote at all, which was positive. So I think it's more about these companies not being reviewed often than that they have a poor track record.

:-)

~Christopher

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Considering that Palatine Roses is a relatively new company, they sure hit the ground running. Congradulations to them.

If my memory serves me right there was an old excellent nursery that went out of business in that area not too long before Palatine emerged. Is my memory correct? And, if so, can anyone fill in the details?

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I've had good experiences with all of the ones listed, along with a few others.
    \ Alana, don't worry about RVR, they've always been good to me and I have over 100 roses from them :)

Tammy

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Glad to see Northland on the list. They were always good to me and nice sized own root plants for the price.

• Alana8aSC
    11 years ago

Thanks Tammy! :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

For me personally Vintage Gardens and Chamblee's have been the best, and also Rogue Valley except for the last shipment where the bands were really puny. I'm sure they would have refunded the money of the ones that died but I didn't bother, since I consider all old rose nurseries to be struggling. I've certainly had very good roses from them for the most part. I'm glad Burlington made the list. The plants were also very tiny but they're doing well now and that's all that matters. I've never received bad service from any on-line nursery, but I haven't ventured across the border to the (in)famous Hortico.

Ingrid

• onederw
    11 years ago

Perhaps the best lesson to take away from these rankings is that we should be more inclined to give feedback, be it positive or negative. Me included. (Vintage surely deserves more positive feedback than it received.)
    Too often we are more inclined to speak up when something goes wrong than we are when things go smoothly. As Ingrid said, rose nurseries are struggling; when we catch them doing something right, we should let everyone know! In that same vein, however, the first entity to learn of a problem should be the nursery itself. Give them a chance to set things right and make amends before airing the problem. Vendors who make the effort and are responsive after there has been an issue are sometimes the best of all.

Kay

• lynnette
    11 years ago

If my memory serves me correctly, a man by the name of Carl Pallek had a first rate rose nursery in Saskatchewan in Canada, selling mainly Kordes roses. I was a Canadian customer and they were first rate in comparison to other nurseries selling roses.When he got to retirement age, none of his children were interested in carrying on the business. He closed it down and moved to Ontario. When Rene Palatine came to Canada from Switzerland, having owned an organic nursery there, Mr Pallek helped him set up his business in Ontario. The Palatine nursery is still an organic one in Canada. Palatine holds a high standard for their roses and will be carrying many of the older ones. When I downsized from my large rose garden, I sent over 80 pieces of budwood from my first rate older roses that I got from Vintage and other OGR nurseries in the States. So hopefully you will be seeing some of your favourites on the list in the future.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Yes, Pallek was the name that I could not remember. Thank you.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Carl Pallek & Son Nurseries
    Box 137
    Virgil, Ontario L0S 1T0
    Canada [near St. Catherines]

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Pallek note. See: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/qcs.php?categoryID=5&topicID=44&tab=2

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

I think more people cast votes for favorites on hmf, where nurseries like Vintage and Roses Unlimited are rated highly.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Chamblees, Rogue Valley, Roses Unlimited and Heirloom should all be on there. Always gotten good roses from them.

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations to these winners though..I haven't tried all of these nurseries but this fall received beautiful big bareroots from Palatine. Burling deserves this recognition..she has many years of experience and I am happy with plants from her. She is a nice lady. I have been a Pickering customer for years. I've been delighted with the big plants from High Country.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    last year

<3 <3 <3