Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

How about Memoire/Ice Cream?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
14 years ago

I've been studying Memoire (also called Ice Cream) quite a bit the past few days, and now am wondering if it is as good in the garden as it is on (virtual) paper. Aside from being lovely, it seems to meet one of my very important criteria: very disease resistant.

What about fragrance? One source says "moderate," another source "very fragrant."

Color? The pics at helpmefind show solid white in a couple pics, a light yellow in a couple pics, and a blend of white (or maybe creamy white) outer petals with a light yellow center. Don't know how much to trust the color shown in pics. Do they look like the color of the real rose in a real garden?

How hardy? One source says Zone 5b, another says Zone 6B.

Good rebloomer?

Any other quirks?

This is the only rose I get to buy for the coming season, so I'm fussing over the choice so that I get a really terrific rose.

Thanks,

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Memoire at helpmefind

Comments (14)

• jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

My bible among rose books, The ARS Encyclopedia, describes it as one of the best of all modern roses. Big flowers, 4.7", strong and sweet fragrance, a vigorous and healthy plant with shiny, healthy, dark green foliage. It's only fault listed is that the flowers spoil in rain. Also listed as Z6 so it does best in dry, mediterrean climates. Reason why I passed it by.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

I have this one. This rose has larger than average flowers most of the time except in really hot weather. It is a creamy white with a yellow cast to it. It is quite fragrant. It repeats well. Flower form is reasonably good most of the time, but I have a problem with bug damage, usually thrips, green spotted cucumber beetles, or some other pest. With my regular spraying, disease is not much of a problem. This rose seems to be fairly sturdy, but after this winter is over, I will have another look at it to see how well it did. Below is the best picture of it that I was able to get. It is too bad pictures can't convey the fragrances because this one does smell good. I wouldn't mind having several of this one if I had the room. I hope this helps a little.

{{gwi:216626}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

What about 'Ice Girl', another white Kordes? Someone said that was a good one.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

As I recall, this rose, when new, was ignored by all the US producers and distributors, so it never got a fair chance. I was interested, but didn't want to deal with Hortico.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the posts. My computer has been acting up all day. This is a test to see if it works now. If it does, I will return with more extensive comments.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback--especially from bustopher with the lovely pic and actual real-life experience with Memoire. Between bustopher's comments and the ARS info, I'm thinking this may be exactly the rose I'm looking for.

Now I just need to see if I can find a place to order it. Interesting info, michaelg--can't imagine why this rose would have been ignored, but I do hope I can find it somewhere besides Hortico.

Thanks, hoovb, for the Ice Girl suggestion. I seem to remember it was originally on the long list I compiled for research. Don't remember now why Memoire beat it out. But if I can't find a place to order Memoire from, who knows.

Kate

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Palatine is definitely the way to go with this. They have it in stock now for spring delivery this year. And they have the biggest bareroots you'll find anywhere -- very healthy plants and great customer service to boot. They get my highest recommendation.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Memoire at Palatine Roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why, thank you, Kathy. I think I'll be ordering tomorrow.

Kate

• jont1
    14 years ago

I have almost ordered it several times as well as Royal Philharmonic, and the white florist rose Virginia.
    I have ordered a couple of Annapurna from Cliff ORent at EuroDesert roses and I hear it is a knockout white HT.
    John

• Carrie_AZ
    14 years ago

I have this rose too and you will love it. It does have a scent to it and it last a long time in a vase. The blooms are huge. I posted a picture of mine in december on the gallery, it should still be there.
    Carrie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Found it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Carrie's Photos

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Carrie, your Ice Cream is truly lovely. I have ordered it--and now am already getting impatient for spring to arrive so I can have blooms like that also.

Diane, thank you for helping me get my head screwed back on right, as my Mom would have said. LOL.

Kate

• Carrie_AZ
    14 years ago

diane thanks for finding those for dublinbay. I tried to find them last night but at the top of the main page they put a note up saying some of the pages were missing. I went through almost every page, the dates of the message's and when they were posted were out of order, I do not know how diane found those. You will just love this rose I have had no problems with mildew(at least in my area, it is so dry here). The blooms in the picture that are in the vase, they opended up too 6+ inches wide. I am very happy with this rose. I would post more pics but I just pruned my roses so, in a few months I can post more. I look forward to your pictures too!
    Carrie

• jont1
    14 years ago

I think that Pope John Paul II is probably the best white HT available today. I guarantee you would love it. I have two of them and they are amazingly beautiful and healthy roses.
    John

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!