Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Drift Roses

Posted by onederw 10 SSZ 21 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 13:19

I have several Apricot Drifts. They've been doing very well here, but this is their first winter. Do I prune them? If so, how much? (My guess would be little if any, but I'm operating from zero experience with roses this small.) Do I need to de-leaf them? Should I just let them be? Any and all advice and experience welcome.

Kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Drift Roses

If this is their first winter, they are babies. I would not take anything off except wood that is obviously dead, if any. Ditto leaves. If I read your zone info correctly, there is not any danger of a freeze for the rest of the "Winter" ? If that is the case, I would feed them now, and put a layer of mulch around them (not touching the bush) and then just wait.

Jackie

o

I have all the drift roses, including the new one this year - Popcorn - which starts out yellow and changes to a creamy white. They have become my favorites because they bloom constantly and for the most part are carefree. The hybridizers say the drifts should be pruned to a height of 4-6" and I have done this every year, even though the pink spreads like crazy and the pastel pink called Sweet makes a pretty good size bush. It's hard to do but they sure do respond come spring. Any questions?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 17:56

What growing zone, emily2002. Growing zone can sometimes make a difference.

o

8b, north Florida. However, if you'll read what the hybridizers have written, they don't mention how you should prune in different zones. I love these roses and have about 100 of them spread around. Do you have any?

o

I have Sweet drift roses which barely survived last summer's drought. They were planted last spring. This year in early spring they were very small, about 9", and I mostly trimmed off the dead parts. It is now May 4, they are already 24" high in spite of our up and down temps, have many buds and a few blooms. I can see they are probably going to be much bigger than I would like them to be for the space they occupy in front of a fountain. I assume if I prune them further now, there will be no blooms this summer. I also assume my only other options are moving them which put them at risk for dying or just get over their being too big for the space and doing a better pruning job next spring? Are my assumptions correct? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here