Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Hillingdon, Weeping China Doll, Lavender Lassie?

Posted by frances_in_nj zone 6, NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 13:31

Hi - I have questions about these 3, wonder if anybody can help?

1. Lady Hillingdon - would she be a decent climber here in zone 6? She's listed as hardy, but would she just always die back to nothing?

2. Weeping China Doll - can this be grown as a climber, or is it really better as a big weeping shrub?

3. Lavender Lassie - I actually grow her! But I grow her in pretty deep shade. She blooms spectacularly in spring, but then not much the rest of the season. I was thinking of tryining another specimen in a sunny spot. Does anybody have experience with her in sun - does she re-bloom well in sun?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Hillingdon, Weeping China Doll, Lavender Lassie?

I can only speak to Lavender Lassie. Lavender Lassie only reblooms for me if the winter and winter/spring transition has not been too severe. This past year was the first year since that awful Easter freeze of '07 that she and any of my other established hybrid musks rebloomed. If Lavender Lassie is doing okay, it blooms heavily in the spring and then a little more in the fall, but that is about it. No magic answer on this one.

o

Hi Frances-------Lady Hillingdon did not survive here in Pa.

LL is a beauty but not much rebloom that I noticed----my garden is pretty shady---

Florence

o

Teas are borderline hardy in NJ, and I think only in the way southern part of the state. I think one forum member in NYC grows it, but I wouldn't.

o

Olga grows Lady Hillingdon in suburban Maryland, but it's a large shrub, not a climber.

I wouldn't attempt it, especially when there are many other very worthy climbing roses that will grow just fine for you in NJ.

o

Thanks, everybody, for your replies! I tend to suffer from "zone denial" but I will follow your good advice and skip Lady Hillingdon, pretty though she is. As for Lavender Lassie, I'll just enjoy her as a more-or-less once bloomer! If anybody can tell me about Weeping China Doll's habit I'd love to hear!

o

Weeping China weeps better than she climbs. Mine falls over a stone wall. It sounds like you are looking for a climber. How big/what do you want it to climb on, and what colors?

o

I am looking for climbers! I have a new fence, and I'm interested in sort of medium-sized ones. I particularly love deep pinks and purples, but I'm always interested in yellows that might be truly hardy here. Thanks!

o

Take a look at Hartwood Roses. Connie is fairly close, and thus has stuff that will do for you. Plus, she is wonderfully knowledgeable and easy to talk to. She would be your best and most personable choice. Here's the link:
http://www.hartwoodroses.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here