Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing of hybrin tea roses?

Posted by TexasPilot 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:43

Newbie question. When I read that a specific rose should be spaced "x" feet or inches apart, does that mean from base-to-base or from what will be the outer edge of the mature bush. For example, one HT specifies it will grow to 3 feet wide; the adjacent one will be, let say, 4 feet wide. How far apart should the centers of the planting holes be? Thanks for the advice.

TexasPilot
San Antonio, TX

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing of hybrin tea roses?

Ideally, you would want to give 6' between each HT from the center of each bush.. This gives good air circulation and you can get around each bush without too many canes growing into each other. On the other hand, I'll take 2 or 3 HT's and plant them 12" apart in a triangle. This makes a BIG, full bush that caries a lot of blooms. Or I'll plant them on 3' centers in rows so I can have more bush's. Just my 2 cents.

o

I need to cage my roses and the cages are 4-5 feet in diameter, so I am planting them about 4-5 feet apart.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 16:45

The 3' wide plant will get 1.5' wide from the center of the plant out in all directions. The 4' plant will get 2' wide from the center of the plant out in all directions. 1.5' + 2' wide = 3.5', so you would plant the center of the first plant 3.5' from the center of the second.

That is, if you don't want any space between the two plants at maturity.

If you need to get in between them for cleanup/maintenance, or if they need more air circulation in your climate, add more space.

Also if plants get larger than average in your garden (only experience can tell you that) adjust accordingly.

o

As a general rule of thumb, when it comes to hybrid teas, I space them about 3 ft apart, measuring from the center of one to the center of the next one.

I don't find a lot of different widths when it comes to HTs, but if I knew a HT was a bit wider than "normal," I might add .5 ft or so to the spacing. Elle, for instance, is a somewhat wider-spreading HT, so a little extra space for her.

Kate

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:03

I do about the same thing Kate does, 3 feet on center for hybrid teas. HTs generally tend to be taller and narrower in growth habit. Other types like floribundas and shrubs can get wider so they would need more room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here