Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What climbing rose for for full sun brick wall?

Posted by mquincoces 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 13:55

Hi,
I have a south facing brick wall 4 meters high and 9 meters wide. It has full sun from dawn to dusk and can get very hot. I would really like to plant climbing roses, but I worry they will be to hot and get fried in the afternoon. Are there any nice, light colored climbing roses that can tolerate these conditions?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What climbing rose for for full sun brick wall?

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 14:13

My Crepuscule blooms all the time with luscious peach blooms, they do not fry in our hot Texas sun and never notice any problems with folliage.

o

Heat reflecting from the bricks onto the foliage could promote the proliferation of spider mites on the undersides of the leaves, especially the lower ones.

Whatever rose you put there, you might want to rinse off the foliage with the hose in the mornings to help prevent this.

My folks had an orange and pink bougainvillea growing up their chimney for years, and it did very well. Didn't require much water either.

o

We are in a notoriously cool, coastal climate. Our south-facing 12-ft-tall retaining wall seemed like a great place to espalier various roses in just that manner.

In fact, what happened was that heat reflected off the wall and burned any stretch of bare cane.

We mitigated the problem to some extent by placing big latticework panels between the plants and the wall, with a gap for air circulation. Even so, roses that hold a lot of foliage, providing their own shade, fare best in that rather brutal location.

Another thing. You might want to check to see how wide and how deep are the footing for your wall. And, if the footing is concrete, consider if there might be any problems with the concrete being there.

Jeri

o

This is a question that intrigues me. I have a 5 ft west facing concrete wall about 200 ft long, and of course I want to cover it with roses, but am afraid they will burn.
Do you think it would be harmful to the roses if I planted some type of mannerly vine or ivy to cool off the wall, and it grew onto the canes of the roses?
I'm pretty sure I need to cool the wall whether I plant climbing roses onto it, or shrub roses next to it.

o

Be careful what vines you plant. If they will cling to a wall or trellis, they may strangle roses.
For God's sake, don't use Morning Glory!

Jeri

o

No kidding on the morning glory! And boston ivy (or whatever it is that covers old neighborhoods and hillsides and freeways) just gives me the creeps, how it strangles everything and harbors rodents. To add insult to injury, the city (or county) actually waters that crap, wasting water (and my tax dollars) on a virtually indestructible plant.
But yes I see your point about the roses possibly getting strangled.

o

Banksie lutea loves heat (the largest rose in the world is one that has been growing in Arizona for decades, and it is HOT there!). I have it climbing up on my South facing brick chimney, and it is very happy. It is a lovely pale yellow. It is a once bloomer, but blooms for 2-3 months, and I think it is worth it.

Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here