Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettyfb_gw

Rootstock

bettyfb
10 years ago

I am looking for Signature Rose that has been grafted on a Petunietta Rootstock (not sure of spelling). I saw this rose on Utube in a garden in Tennessee. I have not been able to find where I can purchase this rose.

Has anyone heard of Petunietta Rootstock?

Betty

Comments (13)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have never heard of Petunietta Rootstock. However, there is a rose root stock called Fortuniana.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I believe Seil is correct. I think I saw the video you are talking about. It was difficult to understand the pronunciation of the rootstock.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The thing you need to know about Fortuniana is that it is cold tender. You don't list your zone so I can't say if it would work for you or not but Fort. is only rated to zone 7 I think.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

You're going to have fun trying to find Signature on Fortuniana root stock. I can't think of anyone that is carrying this rose on fortuniana. As far as fortuniana being cold tender, it looks like I'm going to find out over the next couple of days. Suppose to be 3 degrees Tuesday morning. 10 Monday morning with light snow.

• bettyfb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone--It is Fortuniana Rootstock. I am in Louisville, Ky and I would like to try one rose on this rootstock. I just read an article online that stated that roses are being grown on Fortuniana as far North as Pennsylvania.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fortuniana Rootstock

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Betty, I've heard that if you can get it past it's first winter it will do OK but you will need to protect it heavily every winter. So it will be a high maintenance rose all of it's life. On the other hand it could be worth it if it really makes the plants grow huge like I've seen in pictures.

• bettyfb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seil,

I just found a site that sells Fortuniana in Mississippi. Their info does state that after the first year of winter protection, they do fine. I am so thankful I covered my 30 roses this year, as we are about to get blasted with frigid air tomorrow--high tomorrow--- O degrees---brrrrr!!!! !

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for Fortuniana Rootstock

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Hi Betty...I am in Louisville,KY and I grow around 130 roses. I have never tried fortuniana root so I will be very interested in how you do with it. I don`t winter protect my roses but just today I threw some chopped leaves on a few that might be tender. I have 7 roses coming this spring so I might just have room for them!!!! HA! Let us know if you have any luck. Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

K&M is a well known and respected rose source so you should get good healthy roses from them! Keep us posted on how they do for you.

• bettyfb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I will keep you posted on how they do. Glad to Know
    K&M is a good rose source. I have included the UTube video and half way through you can see a picture of the Signature rose grafted on Fortuniana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose garden- Utube

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

If you buy rose's on fortuniana rootstock, when planting do yourself a huge favor. Don't put a $20.00 rose in a $.50 hole. When you plant your rose, plant the graft at or a couple of inch's below ground level.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

There is another Nursery called Cool Roses that grow on fortuniana rootstock. I don't think I can get by with it here in Central Illinois when it's 10 below zero right now! I do have Signature on Dr. Huey rootstock

• arkroselady
    10 years ago

http://www.tenarky.org/Consulting%20Rosarians2.htm

This is the address of the page from the Tenarky district website that lists the consulting rosarians in the district. Contact some of them to see if they grow roses on Fort. I think some of them probably do.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company