Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rootstock

Posted by bettyfb (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 14:17

I am looking for Signature Rose that has been grafted on a Petunietta Rootstock (not sure of spelling). I saw this rose on Utube in a garden in Tennessee. I have not been able to find where I can purchase this rose.

Has anyone heard of Petunietta Rootstock?

Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootstock

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 17:41

I have never heard of Petunietta Rootstock. However, there is a rose root stock called Fortuniana.

o

I believe Seil is correct. I think I saw the video you are talking about. It was difficult to understand the pronunciation of the rootstock.

o

Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 21:18

The thing you need to know about Fortuniana is that it is cold tender. You don't list your zone so I can't say if it would work for you or not but Fort. is only rated to zone 7 I think.

o

You're going to have fun trying to find Signature on Fortuniana root stock. I can't think of anyone that is carrying this rose on fortuniana. As far as fortuniana being cold tender, it looks like I'm going to find out over the next couple of days. Suppose to be 3 degrees Tuesday morning. 10 Monday morning with light snow.

o

Thanks everyone--It is Fortuniana Rootstock. I am in Louisville, Ky and I would like to try one rose on this rootstock. I just read an article online that stated that roses are being grown on Fortuniana as far North as Pennsylvania.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fortuniana Rootstock

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:05

Betty, I've heard that if you can get it past it's first winter it will do OK but you will need to protect it heavily every winter. So it will be a high maintenance rose all of it's life. On the other hand it could be worth it if it really makes the plants grow huge like I've seen in pictures.

o

Thanks Seil,

I just found a site that sells Fortuniana in Mississippi. Their info does state that after the first year of winter protection, they do fine. I am so thankful I covered my 30 roses this year, as we are about to get blasted with frigid air tomorrow--high tomorrow--- O degrees---brrrrr!!!! !

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for Fortuniana Rootstock

o

Hi Betty...I am in Louisville,KY and I grow around 130 roses. I have never tried fortuniana root so I will be very interested in how you do with it. I don`t winter protect my roses but just today I threw some chopped leaves on a few that might be tender. I have 7 roses coming this spring so I might just have room for them!!!! HA! Let us know if you have any luck. Lesley

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 15:05

K&M is a well known and respected rose source so you should get good healthy roses from them! Keep us posted on how they do for you.

o

Hi,

I will keep you posted on how they do. Glad to Know
K&M is a good rose source. I have included the UTube video and half way through you can see a picture of the Signature rose grafted on Fortuniana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose garden- Utube

o

If you buy rose's on fortuniana rootstock, when planting do yourself a huge favor. Don't put a $20.00 rose in a $.50 hole. When you plant your rose, plant the graft at or a couple of inch's below ground level.

o

There is another Nursery called Cool Roses that grow on fortuniana rootstock. I don't think I can get by with it here in Central Illinois when it's 10 below zero right now! I do have Signature on Dr. Huey rootstock

o

http://www.tenarky.org/Consulting Rosarians2.htm

This is the address of the page from the Tenarky district website that lists the consulting rosarians in the district. Contact some of them to see if they grow roses on Fort. I think some of them probably do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here