Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aviastar

First Time Rose Grower, Year 1 Report

Hi Everyone! Just popping in to say 'Thank You!' again for all the help everyone was here last year. As a new rose grower (and gardener in general) I had some dumb questions, a pretty standard rose list, and maybe a little anxiety, but I was always answered with kindness, helpfulness, and humor.

Here's an update on how my little gals did this year:

Abe Darby; started out very well and had a bit of slow down in the hot August, but she perked up and grew a lot in the fall with the cooler temps and the extra water. She was a generous bloomer all through the season. She is an own root band from Heirloom and she put out several new canes and gained probably 12-18 inches in height. I love, love, love the cupped bloom, but my husband is not as enamored- silly man!

Comments (11)

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Night Light: This poor little one did not do as well and might not make it through this winter. This was also a band from Heirloom and just never took off the way the others did. She had one little bloom this year and did put on some serious (for her) growth in the fall, but she it not looking so great right now, where as all the others are still looking perky.

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joseph's Coat: What a performer! Easily the most prolific in both bloom and growth. Another band from Heirloom, this one was vigorous from the start but really kicked it up growth wise in the fall. This plant has several canes now, with the tallest over 6 feet. I wasn't planning needed to actually train the roses to the fence yet because climbers can take so long to establish, but this one will need to be tacked horizontally, I think, this spring it's so long already. Lots of color variation in individual blooms, as well as during the lifespan of the bloom itself. This is husband's favorite and we'll probably add another for him.

This post was edited by AviaStar on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 15:01

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Royal Sunset: did very well! This one is tied with Talisman for my favorite this year, I could decide between the two. A band from RVR, she was larger than the Heirloom bands to start and put out much more growth and larger, more fully formed blooms, as well. Some color variation among blooms, lovely scent, nice vase life. This is another one that now has canes long enough to need the fence in the spring; they are between 5-6 feet tall.

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one, Talisman: I love this one, too. Also a band from RVR, she was healthy and happy all year although not as vigorous in her growth as Royal Sunset. Large, well formed blooms, pretty scent.

All in all, I am very satisfied and pleased with the outcome! All, with the exception of little NightLight, had repeat blooms all through the summer. I'm getting my list together for what I want to add this year!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

So glad to hear you are enjoying your roses, AviaStar! They're beautiful! I hope your Night Light improves. Sometimes a rose just needs a little longer time to get going so don't give up on it yet. It's a lovely yellow!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I'm really impressed by Talisman and Royal Sunset!! Never heard of these roses. They're gorgeous!!!
    Well done!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Looks like you are doing a great job. Some nice roses, thank you for sharing.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

My brothers and father also chose bright orange roses as favorites. Guy thing?

'Royal Sunset' gets better each year. The trunk (!) on mine is about 3" in diameter! The different shades as a flush matures is one of the best harmonious combinations I've seen. And the scent! My allergy laden nostrils can pick it up 6ft. away!

'Talisman' is confusing at HMF. Maybe it's the sport "Discovered by Dixie Rose Nursery (United States, 1932)". Picture color certainly vary. Will look forward to more of your pictures. It looks exceptionally pretty.

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for stopping by!

Seil: Thank you! I hope NL makes it, too. I'll see how she comes through the winter; we're getting *Plenty* of precipitation and I have no plans to shovel prune her until she flat out kicks the bucket!

Thank you, canadian_rose! They were both great plants their first year and the bands from RVR were large and healthy. I am really looking forward seeing how they take off in the next two years; both are supposed to get quite large and I gave them generous fence space to go as crazy as they want!

Thank you, Sara-Ann!

iris_gal: I think it must be a guy thing! DH loves the bright, bold colors and thinks the color changing phenomenon is really cool. I have to agree; I love the color changers, but I am more drawn to the softer blended color ways, myself. RVR sells the rose I have as 'Talisman, Cl', introduced in 1930, although it doesn't list any parent info, unfortunately.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Very lovely roses, AviaStar, and what a great start for a beginner. I look forward to seeing what roses you'll be buying in the future.

Ingrid

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, ingrid! I'll be seeking the wisdom of the group again when I have narrowed down my list a little!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21