Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viixxeen

roses- bad suppliers?

viixxeen
9 years ago

Last year I bought a house. Translation= new flowerbeds to fill ! I have been growing roses for years, so I know the ins/outs- I know how to put them in the full sun beds and prepare the soil, I was all ready to go. I spent about $200 on Jackson & Perkins roses last spring, only to have 70% of them never come out of dormancy and out of the 4 that actually did grow, three of them were so measly and weak that it will take them several years to really be big enough to be producing. They wouldn't refund my money, only give me a credit. From the reviews online, I'm reading that I'm not the only one who has had a problem with the seemingly decline of J&P. And I see in this Springs' catalog, they actually raised their prices. Sadly, long story short- I'm giving up on J&P after I finish with the rest of their credit.

So here is my real question: what mail order roses companies have high quality of roses & good customer service to match? On the flip side, are there other catalog companies that you have NOT had good results from?

Comments (25)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I really only buy Old Roses these days, and they mostly come on their own roots.

But I would caution you not to place an order with Growquest (if they're still in business.

• margaretmerrill
    9 years ago

I like Chamblee`s roses in Tyler Texas. Own root and they come as a decent size. I have never had one that died.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I've always been pleased with Palatine Roses and even Hortico in Canada. Pickering, also Canadian, is no longer selling to U.S. customers (am I right on this?). Edmonds was fine for my small order a couple of years ago. My close gardening friend, who orders more than I do, loves Chamblees in Texas and they are well thought of. She's also ordered from Antique Rose Emporium in Texas and had good luck with their roses. She also seemed pleased with her Heirloom Roses orders in the past. David Austin Roses was fine when I ordered from them a number of years ago, except for one thing: some of the Austin roses have rose mosaic virus, so be aware of that. That has been a minor cosmetic thing for the roses affected (just two) for mine, and one is ten years old.

J&P has been sort of a soap opera story for the last several years. In 2005, it was acquired by a real estate developer in Florida, along with Wayside Gardens, Park Seed, Roots and Rhizomes, and another seed company whose name I have forgotten. They were presented as separate companies to the public, but were really just one. Meanwhile the owner, or his son, was selling the same roses that were touted as J&P, etc in catalogs, on ebay in auctions for next to nothing. All these companies worked out of Wisconsin and had the same mailing address. Since then, the company has gone bankrupt (surprise!), and now J&P, Wayside Gardens, and Park Seed are back in South Carolina, thanks to a bankruptcy judge. They are still under the gun to get their finances straightened up, I guess. My info is a bit sketchy, but I would be wary of these companies. Whew. Diane

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

I've had excellent experience with Heirloom Roses. Burlington, Roses Unlimited, Regan, and Rogue Valley Roses are commonly recommended, though I don't have any first hand experience with any of them (yet).

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I purchased from Heirloom Roses last year, and my roses came healthy and did great in their first year.

I am going to be doing most of my shopping with Antique Roses Emporium this year because their roses are in 2 gallon pots vs the bands that Heirloom sells for not much more. There are a few I'll still get from Heirloom that ARE doesn't sell.

• buford
    9 years ago

A few questions. What zone are you in? What kind of roses do you want?

I started out with J&P and back then they were still good. But they haven't been for awhile.

I second most of the suppliers listed here. I've just ordered from Palantine for the first time, so I'll see how they do. Their roses are on multiflora root stock, which does well in colder climates and also may be good for drought conditions (since their roots are so long). I am also going to be ordering some roses with fortuniana root stock, those are good for warmer areas.

I have all kinds of roses, HTs, OGRs, Austins... Now I'm getting back into HTs and I've been showing roses, so I am getting a lot of new HTs.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I am not trying to hijack the thread but wonder how the orders from edmunds are ? They have 2 I might just order bc I can't seem to find anywhere else . I recall a few years back things were shaky but wonder how they are now ? Thank you!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    9 years ago

I ordered from Edmunds last year and they were fine. I got Music Box and Pope John Paul both own root, and they did well for me last summer. (Zone 5 outside Chicago)

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    9 years ago

I ordered from Edmunds last year and they were fine. I got Music Box and Pope John Paul both own root, and they did well for me last summer. (Zone 5 outside Chicago)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Where you live plays a BIG roll in where you want to order your roses from. That being said, I'm blessed being in an area where I can grow roses on any root stock or own root and they do fantastic. For me all my Dr Huey roses are from Edmunds. I've gotten great roses from them that have thrived in my garden. Own root roses (mostly OGR's) have come from Roses Unlimited and Chamblee's. I also have a good amount of mini/minifloras that I bought from For Love of Roses. Multiflora root stock has come from Palatine and Wisconsin Roses. All my fortuniana root stock roses have come from K&M Roses and Coolroses. I have never had any problem with any of these company's or their roses. I've been growing roses from back in the 1970's and I'm VERY picky about what goes into my garden and how it should perform.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

I ordered Lady of Shallot, Munstead Wood & Love Song from Witherspoon and was very happy with the quality of the plants.

• viixxeen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, for your suggestions. The information is a tremendous help.

My grandmothers were infamous for their rose gardens, taught me/us the tips. So if I can just get over the hurdle of suppliers with bad stock, I'll be on my way of carrying out the family tradition. Again, thanks for the info!

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

This is one of my worst fear about ordering roses online, which is why I haven't yet. I am blessed to have good garden centers around where I live so I can always choose something else if I can not find what I am looking for. I rather see the plant before I buy.

Having said that I do have the experience of buying a healthy looking plant but end up dying in a few weeks. Therefore I think it really depends on the luck of the draw so to speak.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I may have not gotten every one of the details correctly, but for those interested in J&P's progress, I'm bringing this post back to page one again. Wikipedia offers information on J&P, among others. The connection of J&P and Park Seed and Wayside Gardens is a result of the bankruptcy proceedings. Diane

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

I've had great roses from Palatine (and I live close, so I've been - they're lovely people and so knowledgeable!), also from Pickering. Pickering has been struggling and did not open at all this past season, but I don't know that it's permanent - they say they hope to have a small selection available in spring of 2016. I've ordered from Rogue Valley Roses and got nice, healthy bands. I've ordered from Hortico and had some troubles, plus they're hard to get in touch with if there's a problem. That said, I was persistent about a mismarked rose and they did ultimately send me a replacement. I haven't given up on them quite yet. Though Palatine's and Pickering's roses were MUCH bigger and healthier-looking. There's also a good place for minis in Canada - The Heather Farm (theheatherfarm.com). I'm not sure whether they ship to the US, however. Overall, I feel pretty confident about ordering online, since this forum is a great resource for gauging the integrity and quality of a supplier, as is Dave's Garden.
    Cheers! Good luck!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Oops, I left out a detail. The post is entitled Bad Suppliers. Diane

• grambu
    9 years ago

I also had a lot of problems with J&P last year and I don't care about what they say or show pictures of in their catalog--never again. A rose supplier I real like dealing with is Regan Roses. Their plants arrive when they should, they look fresh and are good to do business with. Last year I changed my order twice before they were sent out and no problem, just an email took care of everything. I have already placed 2 small orderes this past week--I forgot several after placing the first order and asked to have them all shipped together--and no problem. I think not only having good plants; but how problems are handled, because they do come up, are a sign of a good business and I appreciate that. Judith piazza

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Love love love Chamblees. You can't go wrong and they are nice people. Ordered a dozen roses from them when I moved into this tiny house three years ago, every single roses is big, beautiful, blooming and robust. Ordered several OGRs from an individual on Ebay and they are doing well also.
    I don't unfortunately recall the name of some supplier who had a special a few years back, but every one of their roses died.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

My favorites are Greenmantle Nursery, Burlington, and Forestfarm. Greenmantle grows own root, many OGRs (some "moderns" but not the latest ones), and quite a few species. One year old plants are shipped bareroot. They have a website but the owners are otherwise old fashioned--so no web orders or email. Ordering is done over the phone or by snail mail. Burlington has both OGRs and moderns, mostly own root but she does custom grafting. Sells both in band and one-gallon size. Plant prices and shipping costs are very reasonable. Forestfarm sells only own-root, in tube size (same as band size), gallon, and five-gallon size. The best selection of species roses that I know of in the US. Very economically priced plants and good shipping rates (Burlington and Greenmantle are even lower).

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenmantle Nursery roses

• lorrihz
    9 years ago

I've had very good experiences with Heirloom, Rogue Valley, and Chamblee's. The vast majority of my roses are from those companies.

• caflowerluver
    9 years ago

Anyone use Roses of Yesterday mail order? They are local and I have gone over there to buy roses in pots and have had good luck with them. They are open for tours and always have a big sale on Mother's Day.
    Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Yesterday

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

My favorites are RU, Burlington, longago, and ARE, they are cheaper for me on shipping and all so send out very nice roses.I also enjoy angel gardens, though, some tend to be on the smaller side, she is very lovely to deal with, as are the others named. I have ordered from RVR alot, but their shipping is expensive for me, but they are very nice people, and have a lot of hard to find roses.They have a large inventory. Another who is very nice to deal with, whom I don't much hear much about is High Country Roses, they send out very nice roses and is a pleasure to deal with, but mostly sells roses for a colder climate than mine.. I ordered from Heirloom roses before, but that was under old owners, have not had any experience with the new ones, though I've heard they are nice. All the companies I've named send out very nice roses, it just depends on where you are located, which would be cheaper for shipping. I ordered from J&P over 5 years ago and had no problem with them, but can't say nothing about them now.

• jill_wingett
    9 years ago

Just chiming in on GREAT customer service from both Edmunds & Regan! I'm in Indianapolis & the polar vortex hit us hard last year. I added to both orders to replace roses that didn't make it & changed the shipping date a couple of times - no problem for either company!
    I'll also say I know some people have had problems with J&P, but my experience with them has been positive. Over the last two years I've gotten Full Sail, Sugar Moon, Pope John Paul, Scentimental, Julia Child, Opening Night & a Don Juan climber from them, both bare root & container. One container rose arrived dead & they replaced it immediately.

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    9 years ago

I have had bad results from Edmunds roses. Everything seems to be stunted. I have had excellent luck with Witherspoon, and Roses Unlimited.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I live 2 hours from Chamblees and highly recommend them, also Antique Rose Emporium - I love Roses Unlimited, Regans, Palatine. For bands, Burlington, Rogue Valley and Heirloom are excellent. I also really like Northland Rosarium - don't hear that mentioned much, but everything I get from them grows very well - they are super nice people. I just got 3 JP roses and they look fine. With this list, you should be able to find all the roses you want.