Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Friend's Request- Shade Tolerant, Scented Orange Rose

A good family friend asked for a recommendation of an orange rose with at least some fragrance that could be grown in a container on a patio with 5 hours of mostly morning sun a day. I am personally stumped as orange isn't my favorite floral color, but perhaps you wonderful folks have some thoughts? As far as type of orange, I think a Tropicana or maybe even Vavoom would be ideal. I don't know if those could work for this. Gingersnap also came to mind, but again, I have no idea if that is suitable.

I assume singles would stand a better chance? I was going to make some initial HMF searches later, but your experiences are always illuminating. They are also in West Los Angeles, about 3 or 3.5 miles from the beach I'd say. Zone 10/24. Thanks for your help as always.

Jay

Comments (6)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Easy Does It', while not a pure, straight orange (it's a blend), is a beautiful floribunda that likes a little shade. Rebloom is superb, right up there with 'Iceberg'--maybe even better. And some fragrance.

Soooper Dooooper fragrance from 'Lady Emma Hamilton', and some shade will help her as well. Orange with a yellow reverse. Quite gorgeous.

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

I have Just Joey planted in partial shade. It does well and has a good fragrance. It's more apricot than orange but it's been a winner for me.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I have Easy Does It. A great rose here...always blooming, very disease resistant (one of the few modern roses I don't have to spray here), light fragrance, but it gets really big for me...around 6 X 4. Mine's in all day sun, so might be smaller in some shade, but would probably still require a very large pot. Same for Livin' Easy, an orange floribunda in the same "Easy-to-Love" group. The HT Chris Evert is a beautiful orange with red edging, has a nice moderate scent and is long lasting on the bush and in a vase. She stays small for an HT here...around 4 X 3. I do spray her occasionally, but very good disease resistance for an HT here. Mine's in all day sun, so not sure of her shade tolerance.
    I have 2 five year old Gingersnaps. They definitely stay small, but have no fragrance and are truly terrible roses here. I will finally be removing them this year. They absolutely hate our heat/humidity. Beautiful blooms in the spring, but then steadily decline throughout the summer...never bloom once it heats up, disease ridden even with regular spraying and by summer's end have completely defoliated and have a lot of cane dieback. Mine are in all day sun. They might do better with some shade, but I still doubt they would be a good rose in my climate. You are very far from me, so maybe they would do okay in your climate, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them to anyone here.

Easy Does It

{{gwi:219745}}

Chris Evert

{{gwi:219746}}

• weberriver
    10 years ago

Westerland is a gorgeous apricot, has a magnificent fragrance, and seems to be quite shade tolerant. I have one growing on the east side of the house, where it is nearly always in shade, but it is constantly in bloom. This is in zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westerland at Helpmefind.com

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'm only acquainted with Westerland as a fairly large climber in this mild area, but seeing one of the parents of Westerland on HMF is 'Circus' gave me another idea.

Circus has done fairly well in my mother's garden. Disneyland is another orange-toned rose I just remembered that my mom liked enough to get three and seems like it might tolerate a little shade. They are a bit less out of control size wise too which isn't a bad thing. Disneyland for sure has a scent to my nose.

Jay

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

People do speak very highly of David Austin's Lady Emma Hamilton and they say it tolerates shade and doesn't get too big. It's fragrant, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Emma Hamilton at Help Me Find