Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limesmoke

My (cut) roses all have little growths in the middle of the stems

Limesmoke
10 years ago

Is there any way to replant these to get a root system?? Also, one of the blooms is a double bloom, like the image ( NOT MY ROSE )
So, if i were to be able to get a root system on that flower, would some of the buds likely have similar mutations??

This post was edited by Limesmoke on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 15:57

Comments (7)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Confused - are you saying that other blooms on the same stem are single (5 petals)?

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I think the OP is referring to the bud eyes at the bases of the leaves swelling and producing new growth.

Florist roses are grown in ideal conditions with perfectly controlled levels of temperature, light, most always massive amounts of pesticides and fungicides, and they are pumped full of nutrients to incredible levels--pumped so full the dormant bud eyes at the base of the leaves will start growing before the flower is finished.

You may be able to root the stems of those roses--one method is to get a clear plastic cup, add damp (not wet) potting soil, cut off the spent flower and put the stem in--then put the cup and stem into a large clear plastic bag and seal it up, and put the bag in a brightly lit (not direct sun) area kept at a comfortable temperature (72F or so). That's one way to root--there are many ways. The stem may root or it may not. The reason for using a clear plastic cup is so you can see roots if they form.

How the rose plants will perform in the garden is another story--they might be great, or they may be awful. Florist roses are specially bred to be florist roses, to live in a shade house or glass house and be sprayed with chemicals. There is a difference between a florist rose and a garden rose--one is intended for the florist trade and the other for gardeners.

The flower will likely be a slightly different color because outside in the garden the conditions are not the same as they would be in a shade house or green house where most florist roses are grown.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Limesmoke, some roses get split (double) or "confused" centers, but I don't think it is a genetic trait (maybe Kim or one of the other hybridizers will comment). It isn't usually desirable, although some people like it. My Moonstone does it all of the time, but it shouldn't, and I will be rid of it this year.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

It is possible to root your cut blooms but it has nothing to do with the growth buds you see on the stems. Roses store energy for growth in their canes. Your cut roses are using that energy to produce side growth. Once it uses up all the energy it has they will die. To root the cutting you would need to cut off the blooms and prepare the canes for sticking in soil. The roots would form at the lower part of the stem beneath the soil line. There are many threads on the Propagation forum that explain how to do this. It's not the easiest thing to do though, and takes time and practice.

There are a lot of roses that can get double centers. Double Delight is notorious for it. It is not actually two blooms in one. It's just the petals of one bloom that didn't grow or open properly.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Don Juan rooted itself just sitting in a vase in a north facing window.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Don Juan did have a reproductive reputation...

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

If there was a "like" button on gardenweb, I'd "like" your comment, catsrose.