Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherjan

NoName Roses at Direct Gardening

motherjan
9 years ago

Have any of you purchased a group of roses (7) from Direct Gardening? Most of them are nameless to save $$$ and I wondered if you purchased them was it worth it? The pictures are beautiful.

Comments (9)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

A lot of people are very unhappy with this company.

Here is a link that might be useful: reviews Direct Gardening

• motherjan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Any idea why?

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I read the reviews at that site; lots of reasons there for the bad reviews.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

mother.. the gal gave you a link to hit .. it fully self explanatory ...

ken

• Kippy
    9 years ago

from reading the reviews. Dead plants, even shipped free, are worthless

If you want cheap try your local box store for when they first put out bare roots.

Or look at websites like Chamblee's, Heirloom Roses, Rogue Valley Roses orAntique Rose Emporium.

Your look at options at weeks roses or other modern rose sellers. You can always ask here about a certain plant in your area or retailer. But half a star is probably the lowest rated seller I have seen online.

FYI skip the rose seeds on EBay as well, roses do not come true from seeds

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

I bought four of them as my first foray into bareroot. I unfortunately got excited and threw out the labels, so no clue which is which except for the Paul Neyron. Bought last year, got it March 2015.

They have a 1 year guarantee that I will try to take advantage of because one died and the other is very poor growing.

Paul Neyron - good so far, looks like what it's supposed to, pretty smell

Mystery Rose 1 - argh, another pink color one, I assume this is the mystery rose selection I bought as mystery rose (With Pink Peace, Electron, Paul Neyron and this mystery Rose, I am getting tired of the pink!)

Mystery Rose 2 - red? I think this might be the queen of the lakes, 3rd place as far as growth because one of three canes it originally had died.

Mystery Rose 3 - completely dead, the two-tone mystery rose

I read and researched on the best way to ensure bare root success but I might have messed it up by trimming too much of the root, who knows. Considering plants are $20+ at the big box stores, $30 bucks for the chance at 4 different rose selections was worth it to me.

• cadiarose
    8 years ago

To me, it's not about quantity, but quality. I want to utilize my time, efforts, and money on a rose I know I will love. Especially when there's so many great ones out there I want to try. As your roses grow, and you start to accumulate a few more here and there, lack of space makes you become more discerning.

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's the other pink one that i don't know the name of either. Pretty form, but I really didn't need another pink that color. Sigh.

It was an impulse buy, and just for the Paul Neyron, I'm pretty ok. Not that I'm endorsing the place, but if they do fulfill the 1 year replacement thing, then I wouldn't mind trying three or four more from them. The cost is so prohibitive shipping to Hawaii, and the selections available on island are not very inspiring, so if I can score on an unusual color (like Paradise or Pompei), I'll be happy. I also don't have the patience for own root plants.