Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Swept away by this coloring

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

I don't usually buy florists roses but these were practically jumping out of the display at me. They weren't even at eye level. I saw them right away and love the coloration. I have a few roses that have color blends but nothing like this. Can anyone think of a garden rose that is similar or approaches this coloring? The first picture is the truest version of the colors as my eyes see them. I was phtographing these for 2 days in all kinds of light and in different situations. Forget the candy! I got my Valentines Day early this year.

Comments (35)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So pretty

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The outside seems cooler with the inside pink warmer and adding to this the color difference between the inside and outside of the petals along with the change on the petals edge its subtle and wonderful. A very exciting symphony of closely related pinks.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You should have asked the florist what rose they are. They probably would know. I don't have anything that looks like those but a few I do have that have that deeper reverse on the petals are Country Music, Queitness and Queen Elizabeth.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Little green local parrots having a pre-dusk dinner in the park. I'm glad the pet store parrots got away and formed this flock. They sound happy when they fly over.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These were from Sam's club so there was no one to ask. I love the plants and flowers that start to come in for the holidays. Last Valentines Day I got some pretty Hydrangeas called Angels Parasol.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

It almost looks like the single bloom florabunda Tiki. Take a look at it on the Roses Unlimited page.

• User
    11 years ago

Ha, yes, we also get flocks of green parakeets in the UK (escapees) All is not well in birdworld though as they have outstayed their welcome as colourful novelties and are now entering the serious menace phase.
    Otoh, we have been hunting waxwings - a terrible siberian summer has resulted in poor stocks of berries so flocks of hungry birds are arriving daily (an irruption). A waxwing winter stays in the memory and goes a long way to ameliorate red noses and cold feet.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Here is Niles Cochet, an old tea rose. Not the same colors, but a similar idea.

I love cedar waxwings - we get them here about every other year. A huge flock shows up and settles on our large privet trees and pittosporum bushes when they are laden with berries. The birds are so beautiful - I don't mind the bare bushes they leave behind.

Jackie

• amberroses
    11 years ago

It isn't the same, but it reminds me of Lady of Guadalupe.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I don't know of a similar garden rose, but I think the cultivar in your bouquet is a florist type called 'Toscanini'.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks very similar to the picture on this directory. What is unusual for me is the heavy texture on the petals. There are raised structures and the surface almost has the look of a sponge with a heavy honeycombed type of pattern. I haven't seen that before.

Here is a link that might be useful: wholesale roses UK

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lets try that again
    The above link was no go

Thank you Ispahan

Here is a link that might be useful: toscanini

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was looking for pictures of this rose and found this wholesale distributor in Atlanta. They had some great information on caring for cut roses and also some good videos showing how they process the flowers and tips on getting them to open and not droop. We have it so good bringing in our flowers from our gardens the same morning. I was looking at the roses they carry and thought that so many that the pictures of our forum members' roses are so much prettier. When you think of what it would cost to buy the roses it doesn't make the price of the plants look bad at all. And a good plant will make so many roses in its lifetime. I was feeling really good about all of our gardens. Congratulations all of you for growing these great looking flowers!

Here is a link that might be useful: caring for cut roses

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Cool parrots! I bet the rose is ROSITA VENDELA.

• wanttogarden
    11 years ago

Reminds me of Our Lady of Guadalupe too.
    Jackson and Perkins sells them on their web site this year again.
    Good luck,
    FJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Lady of Guadalupe

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Kitty - why don't you try to propogate them?

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking that the grower and distributor had conditioned them in too many chemicals to make that possible. They are lasting very well and the large petal count is giving me beautiful full flowers now. These came from Panama and had a rainforest alliance& frog symbol. I hope that means something good. One thing I learned from the flower wholesaler's site was that if you strip thorns, sometimes it creates places for air to enter and prevent the roses from taking water from the vase. That was a fun site to visit. When I worked at D-Land, I got extra work helping my friend who did all the flowers for the events and parties. I just loved shopping with her for the flowers. Being in the big cooled rooms full of flowers was always fun. One of my favorites was the yearly Candlelight celebration for Christmas. We used so many fresh greens and flowers and choirs sang all illuminated by candlelight and lanterns.

I don't often buy florist flowers because I'd rather spend the money on my plants but I really loved these. I did order a rose that is a florists rose from Rosemania this year that is white with a kiss of pink at the very top of the just opened flower. My other florists rose is florists form Sterling Silver from Vintage and I'm very happy with it.

• Maude80
    11 years ago

Kitty, I have quite a number of those florist roses that I have propagated from cut flowers from Costco. They are still pretty young but so far I am very happy with them and their flower output. Right now I am just praying that they survive their first zone 5a winter.

• lsst
    11 years ago

I own a florist and my first thought was the Anna rose.
    It can have the darker pink coloration as in your photo.

• lsst
    11 years ago

Here is a photo of the Anna rose.

{{gwi:220262}}

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

I have ANNA and it is nothing like this rose!

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our Lady of Guadalupe is a great rose. It blooms so much. The only roses that can exceed it in my garden are Gruss An Aachen and Iceberg. Johann Strauss is very good too. All of these along with French Lace are wonderful for bouquets.

I started collecting polyanthas for a long row that used to have miniatures and they are looking like they will be good bloomers. I like to make paper cones out of cardboard wrapped with romantic fabrics and ribbons. I put in a cut down plastic bag and some floral foam to make little rose gifts. When I go to Civil War reenactments or Victorian picnics I use that or a tussie mussie holder. The smaller roses are perfect for those. I like Clotilde Soupert and Hermosa. I used to take bigger bouquets but somebody asked me if I was getting married once when I had my 1890's cream gown on and I thought maybe the larger bouquet was too much.

• tank0412
    10 years ago

Good pictures.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is similar to what I saw earlier this year. This is Heirloom's picture of Pink Osiana

Is anyone growing it and is it making flowers of this quality?

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Nice roses but...really nice parrots!!!!

Those are at least two separate species of Amazons... Mexican Red Headed or Spectacled, and Double Yellow Headed or Blue Fronted. I love Amazon Parrots, they're my favorite!!! We have a female Blue Fronted that's 46 years old.

Not the usual Quaker Parrot flock like other parts of the country.
    Depending on your region (I see zone 10) the red headed ones could actually be natives that the yellow headed birds have joined up with.

This post was edited by racin_rose on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 18:59

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I accidentally stumbled on Kordes "Party Dress" on Northland Rosarium's site. They list it as a new "florist rose."

I looked it up on HMF...although it's a crummy photo there, that may be your rose. It sure is a beauty, I probably would have bought them too!

Kordesroses.com ...if you go to "assortment" and browse the large and medium flowered varieties...a couple of them are pretty suspect, particularly Belle Rose and Bellevue.

Sheesh this is fun, like a treasure hunt...

This post was edited by racin_rose on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 3:11

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Too bad I didn't notice this thread the first time around and catch the unrelated second post. How exciting to have wild Amazons living near you! I, myself, have a 22yo male double yellow head named Sammy. When I lived on Long Island, I remember seeing some Nanday conures and Quaker (Monk) parakeets, but I know there's much more diversity among the wild flocks in California and Florida. Pic below is of me and my boy.

:-)

~Christopher

{{gwi:220263}}

• msjam2
    10 years ago

I know this is over a year old, that rose color reminds me of tournament of roses.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Unfortunately non-native parrots, which are rapidly increasing in number, pose a significant problem for native birds since they use nesting spots that the native birds need. Introducing an exotic species has always led to significant problems, and this one is just another one that will increase with time.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I respectfully disagree. Thus far, any research I've read has indicated that the parrots live only in "disturbed ecosystems" (read -- cities and suburbs, which are already inundated with non-natives, anyway), feed on mostly introduced plants (not competing over native food sources), and haven't expanded into pristine "wild" areas. Virtually all parrots are cavity-nesters (Quakers, aka Monk Parakeets, are the sole nest-building species), whereas many native species construct their own nests each year, and most of those which also use cavities are not found in the "disturbed ecosystems" being colonized by parrots, anyway. Considering that many of these colonizing parrot species are in trouble in their native lands, I am happy to see them take advantage of an otherwise empty niche (becoming another city/suburb exotic bird species) here as a "reserve population".

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: City Parrots

• Maude80
    10 years ago

What a beautiful bird.... Does he speak??

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Thank you!

Yes, but mostly he's much more than "just a talker." His cage door is open all the time whenever I'm home, and being very bonded to me, he'll fly to me when I leave the room and investigate anything I'm doing. At night, when I'm watching television before going to bed, he'll fly to my ankle to join me, periodically walking to my chest when he wants to snuggle.

He also knows to go potty on his cage on his own, so (over 90% of the time) he flies back when "nature calls", does his thing, and comes back. Gentle training accomplished this, and repeated overly-animated verbal reward maintains the behavior. The very rare mistakes meet with "Ewww, ucky....make poopie on the cage, Sam...go back to your cage." He'll stay on the cage until the next poopie, usually within fifteen minutes or so, then is rewarded, and allowed to fly back to me.

~Christopher

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Awww, that's really wonderful. I didn't realize that they were so intelligent, but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. After all, crows are birds and from the things I have heard about them, they are incredibly smart.. Are these the type of birds that can live for 60 years?

Maude

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

If all goes well...

Sammy turns 23 this year, and he doesn't by any means seem "old" yet.

~Christopher

• Maude80
    10 years ago

I hope you have many happy years with him. You seem like a great bird daddy:)