Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suebelle_neworleans

Austin roses at Whole Foods

Just returned from Whole Foods store in the New Orleans area and they had several David Austin roses for $19.99.
These are the ones I remember:

Litchfield Angel
Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Carding Mill
Lady of Shalot
The Alnwick Rose

Don't know if all Whole Foods would have them, but you could check in your area.

Sue Belle

Comments (41)

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Tess makes really good looking and tasting candied rose petals with her fall bloom (when the kitchen has cooled off enough to do such things.)

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Oh cool! I will have to check out the one in baton rouge. Were they in good shape? Thanks so much!

Shannon

• cecily
    9 years ago

Suebelle!!! It's wonderful to see you posting again!

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I picked up Lady of Shalott and Tess of The D'Urbervilles.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

My Whole Foods Market has a beautiful display promoting David Austin Roses. An employee told me these sell out quickly!!! The price is fabulous plus no shipping:).

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I'm soo jealous lol. We have a Basic Foods but not a Whole Foods, I don't think I saw any roses outside of BF. I'm glad y'all are able to get them where your at!

• susan4952
    9 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Jealous.
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. We have a Whole Foods not too far from us. I am really trying NOT to go look but might do it anyways. Sooo tempting! I already have some DAs on order but I wouldn't kick Lady of Shalott or Tess out of my shopping cart if they happened to jump in :D
    ~SJN

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Called my local Tampa store and they said they did not have them. :-(

• bluehaven_gweb
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting. I was able to pick up Lady of shalott and the Alnwick rose from the whole foods in Houston.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Bluehaven, which Whole Foods store did you go to? I am going to be in Houston Sunday and want to find one. Do you happen to recall the varieties they had? The photos look like they are very healthy, and a good price. Just bought the Alnwick Rose from Chamblees, but it is own root and smaller - might need one of these! Thanks......
    Judith

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Whole Paycheck lives up to its reputation.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Try the Whole Foods on Waugh near Montrose Allen Parkway exit (close to downtown).
    I saw The Alnwick Rose, Gentle Hermione, Lady of Shalott, Lichfield Angel, Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Please...I don't want to read anymore about this...haha. Up here, we have the dregs when it comes to roses at any kind of chain or big box store. All the stuff you warm winter states reject gets sent up here on the slow train. Diane

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Mauvegirl, your pic of the DA display has me salivating. Are all the pink roses The Alnwick Rose?

Sultry_Jasmine, the vision of roses jumping into your shopping cart made me laugh out loud. Definitely take them home!

• bluehaven_gweb
    9 years ago

I bought them at the sugar land (one of the suburbs of Houston) whole foods. They had the Lady of shalott, Alnwick, Darcey bussell and Lichfield angel. I also called a couple of whole foods around here and they all said they have them.

9 years ago

Yippee! Definitely going! Bluehaven, are you a member of the Houston Rose Society? If so, Feb. 7-5, its Rose Appreciation Week. 15% off instead of the usual 10%. I come to SW Fertilizer to stock up on rose supplies and fertilizer. If you haven't been there, you are missing a treat! The HRS puts out a great newsletter - well worth the $12/year for email! Not to mention the 15% off once a year....
    Judith

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

The pink rose pictured is Gentle Hermione. Funny thing is on HMF photos, none looked that pink.

I also went to the Whole Foods in Bellaire (near Stella Link). They had less inventory. I did see Carding Mill there.

You must get there quickly. I had never seen David Austin Roses at Whole Foods Market before. The employee said they sell them in January. They sell out in a New York minute!

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 19:29

• poppy_pa_6b
    9 years ago

This is more than I can take! 19.99?!? DA Roses?!? I found the closest WF (2hrs away) and emailed them. I'm sure they don't have them yet in PA but we'll see if they will. The pic, pushed me over the top! : ) Thanks for the heads up on this!

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Waaaa. We have zero temps and a foot of snow. My WS pots are buried. Nooo fair!

• bluehaven_gweb
    9 years ago

Judith,

Thank you for the info about Houston Rose Society. I didn't know about them & definitely will look up more about them. I am new to Houston and also to rose gardening. Read and learnt quite a bit in this forum. Also came to know of Chamblees & ordered quite a few roses. Will post the progress of my roses later this year.

• bluehaven_gweb
    9 years ago

My David Austin roses from whole foods nicely potted. Soooo excited, can not wait to see them grow.

9 years ago

They look really healthy. Am anxiously awaiting Sunday for my trip! Do check out the Houston Rose Society - such nice people, always ready to help with any questions you might have and they have a super garden tour in the spring! Always some beautiful yards to see. One year we saw the Flores mansion - just spectacular! Oh, and don't miss the Azalea Trail - some beautiful things there also!

If you are near SW Fertilizer on Bissonnet, check it out - lots of different kinds of rose fertilizers, anything you could want, and SO many neat things and vegetable starts too!

Hope Whole Foods hasn't sold out by the time I get there......not that I need another rose, but that is entirely beside the point!
    Judith

9 years ago

Had a grand time in Houston! Whole Foods had some DA's left - I got the last Carding Mill [have several of these, one of my favorite DA's], Gentle Hermoine and Litchfield Angel. There were some Darcey Bussell and one Tess of the D'Ubervilles left, both of which I have - got 3 for a friend. There were about 12 left - no Lady of Shallot, but I have that one growing well. Fun to pick up some nice looking Austins!

Had a grand day at SW Fertilizer - found some Garrett Juice for foliar spray for my daylily seedlings, some gardening gadgets, several different kinds of fertilizers and sprays that I cant get in my city. Stopped at Lowes and Home Depot to see the blooming plants - we don't have all that here yet. Pier I necessitated a stop and got a couple of cute things for Easter. Nice warm weather, lunch with a good friend and some gardening loot and roses - what better??
    Judith

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Sounds like you had a great weekend in Houston Judith! I'm going to Austin this weekend and plan on stopping at a Whole Foods while I'm there to see what DA they have left.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I didn't visit Whole foods stores in my area but I don't think they would have it considering it is still winter up here. Even if they have D.A. roses, what do I do with them until spring. I am envious of you guys.

9 years ago

Here are 4 that I got yesterday. From left to right: Gentle Hermoine, Carding Mill, Litchfield Angel, Darcy Bussell. I think they look great - cant wait to get them planted! I still have my order to pick up from David Austin, so that means a trip to Tyler! Maybe some nurseries will have some blooming things out when I go.

Judith

• bluehaven_gweb
    9 years ago

Judith, glad you were able to find roses that you liked. They look great.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I called the Whole Foods near us and they didn't even know what I was talking about lol. They transferred me around to different departments and none of them knew what I was talking about. So apparently they don't have them whaaaaa. Anyhow, I went to a nursery near us and they had some Pope John Paul ll roses in 3 gal containers for 18.99 that were actually grafted onto fortuniana root stock. So I got one :D It has buds all over it. I guess its my booby prize but I've been wanting that one so I'm happy. Can't wait for my DA order to get here grrr,

9 years ago

I found mine in the floral department. That might vary from store to store....I also saw some plants outside the store - might be worthwhile to just go check it out.

Judith

• suebelle_neworleans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you should definitely go and check for yourself. After I found my roses at the Whole Foods near me, I went to another one in New Orleans and I could not find them, so I asked two people where they were and no one knew what I was talking about. I just kept looking and finally found them near the exit. Not one person knew what David Austin roses were and they did know they even had them in the store.

Suebelle

• elisse59
    9 years ago

Stop at Whole Foods in Baton Rouge and the have two small boxes of about 14 or so left. They are out front of store behind a pillar. Not visable from the street. I picked up "Gentle Hermoine" and "Litchfield Angel". Talked with some lady who stopped to see what I was looked at into buying two of them. She told me " I was a bad influence" on her! Ha! but she said "you know us rose people doesn't take much"!. What they had left(that I remember anyway): "Litchfield Angel", "Tess of Deuberville"," Lady of Shalot", "Gentle Hermoine" and one "Darcey Bussell" .

• poppy_pa_6b
    9 years ago

Has anyone seen these in PA stores? Thanks!

9 years ago

I got 3 in Houston in mid February - they were still dormant and would have gotten more, but these were the only 3 I didn't have. I have them growing in pots and they have really taken off! The 3 I got for a friend have done the same. I highly recommend these roses - so if any of you all are able to get any, I would say buy with confidence - they are really good! I got another Carding Mill [and it was the last one], Litchfield Angel and Gentle Hermoine.

Judith

• poppy_pa_6b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

stillanntn6b- Thanks for the info. I thought maybe we'd see them sooner than that and push them to before Easter for sales reasons. I ordered directly from DA last year, they shipped in April. There's not even a Whole Foods near me, but that price is so good, it's almost worth it to drive an hour and a half to the closest store. I made the above pic of ms. violet grey my wallpaper and it taunts me every time I get on my computer. haha.... I'm also glad you mentioned the antique rose forum. I didn't realize they were over there.

Judith- I'm so glad you got some and if I get any more pro DA I'll be driving to Texas! ; )

• User
    9 years ago

The Alnwick rose is the sweetest smelling rose I grow.

9 years ago

Just curious if anyone knows whether this is only for Whole Foods chain in the U.S.A? Does any Canadian locations carry them?

• rose_crazy_da
    9 years ago

I checked the other day by me - on HWY 7 and warden in Markham - Nothing

9 years ago

Oh, this is a coincidence, I live in the same town as you rose_crazy_da. Thanks for the info. Maybe they will have it later.

• poppy_pa_6b
    8 years ago

Has anyone in the Northeast/PA seen these at WF's? I had heard they'd be showing up around mother's day.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths