Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mymurphdog

Indoor Climbing Rose in Trouble

mymurphdog
10 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to roses and in desperate need of any help. My plant comes from a cutting. The source plant was my grandmother's and was planted about 35 years ago, which has since been destroyed. I've had it for ~2 years.

It was growing well and looked healthy until we moved across town in Sept. It lost 3 canes and all new growth seems to suddenly curl, wilt, and dry up. And as of yesterday, the new growth that was doing super well just wilted. It's now down to 1 long cane. 80% of the leaves on this cane are gone, but it does have some new growth. That growth has curled leaves and are rather yellow.

I've read about cankers, bores, blight, blackspot, etc over the past few months and don't feel like it has any of these issues but I have been fighting aphids naturally, which now seem to be under control.

The cane with wilted leaves now has ridges or veins, which weren't there yesterday, as if the cane isn't getting water and is drying up. I'm certain my poor rose bush is dying. Any ideas on how to proceed? The pot is large and the plant has water (I don't overwater) and has not been heavily fertilized. It's indoors and I have a plant light on it.

I've uploaded additional pictures here:
http://www.groundwatergeek.com/test1/about-the-geek/mg

Thanks for any help. It's truly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Additional Pictures

Comments (7)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

It's impossible to grow roses indoors for any length of time; it will surely kill them. I'm surprised it's lived this long, although you don't say whether it's bloomed or not. You might be able to save it by putting it outside in a protected spot on a porch or patio and see whether it recovers.

• mymurphdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. ugh.

It didn't bloom. It's about 67 degrees inside and low 30s at night. Do I need to acclimate or prune it?

Thanks Ingrid.

This post was edited by mymurphdog on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 19:38

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Don't prune it. It needs all the cane it has left to produce food. I would take it outside during the day time and in at night for at least a week or so to harden it off before leaving it out overnight. As Ingrid said, it's really surprising it's lasted this long indoors. Roses are not house plants and are nearly impossible to keep alive inside.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

If you can, put it in the ground. It will be much happier much faster. Climbing roses especially are not happy in pots for long. When it restablizes, you can take cuttings if you are going to be moving again.

• mymurphdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the help!

I'll put it outside during the day over the next week and look for a place to plant it. I'll consider myself lucky I didn't kill it. Hopefully it'll perk up soon.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

when you plant it in the ground, put it where it will get full sun. If it is a climber, that place should also be next to something it can climb on, like a fence or building.

Then, don't be surprised if it takes a while to recuperate, and start putting out new canes. At first the canes may be short - don't worry about that. Climbers take a while to start putting out real climbing canes.

Pls post pictures of it next Spring, especially blooms, and someone on here may be able to identify it for you.

Also I want to agree with everyone that I am amazed it is still alive, as roses HATE being indoors!

Jackie

• mymurphdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the information! I was wondering what to expect, once I plant it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely post pictures in Spring, as I'd love to know what type it is. I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well until then.

I'm not sure why it survived so long indoors, and I feel just horrible that I almost killed it. It was actually quite beautiful at our other house, but took a turn once we moved. I assumed it didn't like our new place.

Maria