Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

Opinions of selections

canadian_rose
9 years ago

Hi,
I'm considering getting these two roses, but I want to know if you all think they're worthwhile roses.

I looking for
- bloomability
- fragrance

My roses overwinter in the garage, so zone doesn't matter.

1. Royal Jubilee - an Austin
2. Doris Day - a yellow floribunda

I am for sure getting Neil Diamond!! I am VERY excited about this one.
Thanks for your opinions/advice.
Carol

Comments (11)

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..I'm a long way from you of course, but I can tell you something about 'Royal Jubilee' as I grow it here... first off. it's very fragrant, very sweet scent.... it blooms really well for the summer, the flowers tolerate all weathers, but they don't always open fully and remain quite globular...

I've only had it for one summer, and I have one disappointment to report.... unlike all my other roses, especially Austin's, this one stopped growing by early September..
    ....I found this to be a bit too early really, when I expected it to continue into Autumn... so I was disappointed with that.... it was well fed and watered, but simply cried enough, as if to say... that's it, I'm finished for the year, goodbye... and not a move from it since...

...it'll be interesting to see if it changes during the 2nd year with it, or if that's just the way it is.... otherwise, it's healthy and is over wintering well here... getting ready to shoot out again...I'm not ready to despatch it, just yet...
    best wishes,...

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooooh!!!
    That's beautiful!!!
    And I'm excited about the fragrance!!
    I want it!!! I want it!!!

Thanks, very much. :)
    Carol

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    9 years ago

I ordered Royal Jubilee a few weeks ago. Carol - you, Marlorena and I will have to compare notes!

Marlorena - I thank you, too, for the information. Pictures of this rose on the David Austin website show the rose to be a deeper pink. Do you consistently get the lighter pink your picture shows? I will be fine with either, but would prefer the lighter pink you have.

Cheers,
    Jo

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Very interesting Marlorena. Since you do live in England as well, the original birthplace of this rose, it is a good indication on how it behaves. Please keep us updated.

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

I planted Royal Jubilee last spring, and like it a lot. It repeat bloomed well last summer.

To my nose the fragrance was OK; it was nice but not as sweet and fine as some of the other Austins such as Bishop's Castle. If you're looking for fragrance I'd go for Bishop's Castle instead.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Jo, we'll see if it likes cooler weather better/worse/same as the warmer weather.

Thanks Krista - I would get Bishop's Castle in a heart beat if I could get it here. Darn about the fragrance not being great, but since Marloena really liked the scent - I'm going to give it a go. :)

Thanks everyone!
    Anymore opinions?
    Carol

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

Royal Jubilee has charming blooms, the petals have a lovely shade to them. I think you'll like it....

Wisley 2008 has a beautiful fragrance, but it's a lighter shade of pink. The blooms have a pearly quality to them. Harlow Carr has beautiful fragrance as well.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Jo Pyweed,
    ..yes that's the true colour as I saw it... I should point out that, I have read the flowers can bleach in hot sun, so I placed my rose out of mid day sun... that photo was taken around 1.15 pm, so now in shade... it gets sun in the mornings until 11am then no more until around 3pm...

...that'll be great that we can compare notes during the year, if several of us are growing it..

JJPearce...
    thank you...yes I hope to do so...

CanadianRose,
    I'm glad you like it and hope it does really well for you there...

...going back to the scent, Krista in NY obviously gets a different impression, but to me the scent is nothing like most Austin's...i.e. myrrh..musk...old rose or tea.... it's sweet perfume like scent...I might liken it to candy floss scent.... not everyone would like that maybe... and it certainly took me by surprise...

...also, due to space limitations...I have to grow some of my roses vertically with supports... so I don't know how this rose performs as a freestanding shrub...mine is a short climber and hope it reaches 5 or 6 foot this season.... that'll do me just fine...

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

I should mention that it's not that I found the scent displeasing, it's just that I did not love it, or did not think it was as nice as other Austins in my garden.

I will be checking the fragrance this year to see how it is. The Austin website describes it as fruity with notes of blackcurrant and could be that I sensed a bit of sour tang to it. Perception of fragrance is very subjective...

To my nose Munstead Wood has a note of blackberry, and I like this scent very much. So each rose can strike me a little differently. I have roses that smell like raspberry, or complex scents such as with Sharifa Asma and The Generous Gardener.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

On the other rose you'd mentioned - Doris Day - I planted this for the first time last year. I pinch off buds in the first year so I think only one bloom was able to sneak past me. It was a nice rich golden color but I don't recall any particular scent. I have high hopes for hardiness of this one, but I know you grow yours in pots and pull them in for the winter so it's not a huge issue for you. If this were the only yellow I was ordering, I'd go with something more reliable like Julia Child or Molineux, but the dark gold isn't a frequent sight except in things like Henry Fonda or other dark gold HTs.

FWIW - not much yet to go on though, as it's a new introduction last year.

Cynthia

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Krista - thanks! I'm sold!! As to the others - they're not available here. But I'll keep them in mind. I've thought about Harlow Carr before. Mmmmm.

Marlorena - Candy floss sweet!!! Be still my beating heart/nose. LOL That sounds perfect!!

Cynthia - Doris Day sounds like a no go, because fragrance is key for me. However, let us know on the forum how the scent goes - maybe the scent will come through this summer.

Thanks!
    Carol