Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Up for Adoption

I will be attending the Great Rosarians of the World program this Saturday at the Huntington Botanical Gardens in California. If anyone is interested I can bring the roses below that aren't appropriate for my garden, and you can take them home with you. Free!

My garden is concentrated on low maintenance, drought tolerant plants, with lots of California natives, including native roses as well as those from elsewhere that are similarly adapted. My roses and other garden inhabitants are expected to get along well with one another and really live in plant communities where they are often mutually beneficial. Many of my CA natives find having moist roots in the heat of summer and much/any fertilizer to be a deadly combination. Roses that like and/or need these things simply can't live under local conditions--making them happy means the demise of their neighbors and going to a less energy-efficient style of gardening for me. If I were to keep them, they'd be limited to growing in pots and would require me to give them lots of special care and attention. Thus we are not a good match. For those who have a more typical rose garden which gets frequent water, mulch, and fertilizer these may be more pleasing roses to grow.

Napoleon (china)--from Eurodesert via Antique Rose Emporium. This rose is unlikely to have RMV as I don't think ARE sells roses with RMV. Napoleon mildews heavily here *unless* given high amounts of fertilizer as compared to my other roses (like 15 times more at least) and heavy supplemental water, particularly in summer (seems to like WET feet). Very large plant, in a big pot (20+ gallon size).

Niles Cochet (tea)--sold to me as Niles Cochet but he is unlikely that rose. This plant has dark red flowers with black highlights (never a hint of cream or pinkish shades), strong upright stems (never nodding flowers), and strong damask scent. Looks like a dead ringer for Barcelona/Francis Dubreuil. Acquired by auction. RMV status unknown but no symptoms seen. This rose wants more humidity and water (low to moderate amounts lead to unattractive appearance and decline).

Tipsy Imperial Concubine (tea)--from Greenmantle which avoids RMV infected stock so she is likely RMV free. One of only a few roses that has ever had blackspot in my garden. Needs a great deal of supplemental water in the summer, so much so that neighboring CA natives perished. She has been replaced by Rosa pinetorum, Kraskoje Kawaskole (gallica), Eriogonum parvifolium (seacliff buckwheat), and Salvia eremostachya (desert sage).

I have seen these 3 roses growing elsewhere and in pictures on the web, and they look beautiful and happy. They are just not suited to my garden conditions.

Melissa

Comments (2)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Melissa - the GROW program is today, I guess. Did you get any takers for your roses? Does sound as if your gardening style has changed so much that roses do not fit in.

I agree that that one you describe is NOT Niles Cochet - I have NC in my garden, and it is a combination of cream and raspberry.

How did you like the GROW program?

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No takers yet, but the roses are coming with me. So they will be available to anyone there who might like them.

My gardening style hasn't changed. I've been growing roses for decades with the same methods with no problems. It depends on *which* roses though that like this type of care. Those native to mediterranean climates and desert climates do beautifully here. Some of the studies posted on gardenweb already (as well as others) on growing roses in low water areas, indicate particular classes are much better adapted to my local conditions and cultural practices. Found this out after reading the studies that I had and was still gravatating to the same roses the authors had determined performed well in these conditions. I find it interesting that some of the posters on gardenweb in CA mediterranean areas who have success with classes I don't, also have dismal results from the very same roses that are superb for me. IMHO a lot of that is due to our opposite gardening practices that actually favor certain classes over others. For me, I'd rather have roses that like conditions as is, and don't require substantial alterations to the natural environment. Often this involves the amount of water used. And I think the culture surrounding roses for many years, including breeding of roses regardless of any efficiency of use of resources (flower production being selected for over other factors), has made a more labor and resource intensive style of gardening seem normal for roses. I disagree. I don't think it should be normal.

I'm even adding more of the classes that do best here, the ones adapted to long, hot, dry summers. Gallicas are excellent as are albas, damasks, rugosas, and multiple California natives like Rosa minutifolia. It blooms profusely and sets abundant hips when grown in full sun and given no summer water, whereas in partial shade and summer irrigation, its hip production is low to none.

My city is implementing water restrictions more and more, and yet none have come close to affecting my garden since I am a low water user in the area. Roses that like to guzzle water stand out from the others and I'm eliminating them while continuing to expand my collection of water sippers.

Melissa