Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Every Rose Has a Thorn...

Posted by roseseek z 10, SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 18:38

Or, at least some prickles. While wrapping some cuttings a little while ago, in preparation for a propagation demo for South Coast Rose Society on the 17th, I grabbed a cane from the Double White Banksiae out back. It bit me! I've found prickles on it before and thought this might make an interesting example of how even the most "prickle free" roses sometimes bite. It just isn't the nature of a rose NOT to have prickles. When one arises, it's the anomaly, not its real Nature. I believe this gives some credence to the thought our prickle free forms of Banksiae are likely ancient selections. Kim

DSCN3324

DSCN3323

This post was edited by roseseek on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 18:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Every Rose Has a Thorn...

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 19:17

Yep! I have found an occasional very small thorn on Reine des Violettes too. Usually right at the top near a bloom.

Some people are always grumbling that Roses have thorns,
I am thankful that thorns have Roses! - ALPHONSE KARR

One of my favorite sayings!

o

Oh, prickles on canes are OK - it's the sneaky ones on the leaf rachis that enrage (and snag) me.

o

Its only them saying hello and wanting attention. Some are attention hogs aka New dawn!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 13:40

Oh, I agree, Camp. The ones on the leaves always get me!

o

Yes, my Banksia is guilty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here