Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Austin Queen of Sweden

Anyone growing this one? I see it did very well in the ratings reports for this year. Reading about it in DA's catalog I see that it is also thornless;but you know DA and those Octopus arms and disease problems. I'd like to hear how this grows in someones U.S. garden...Thank You..Maryl

Comments (24)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

I had it new to me this year and it didn't get the octopus canes, it grew straight up to about 2 1/2 ft. Its real pretty. Mine didn't rebloom toooo quickly though but I still loved it when it did. I can't remember the thorns. Judy

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

I've had Queen of Sweden for two years now (3 this summer) and, like Prettypetals, mine grows straight up in a lovely shape. The branches are very firm and support the upright form of the bush and the weight of the blossoms. It's also been extremely disease resistant and hardy here in zone 5.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

I got this one also. It grew to about 4 ft tall. I don't have any good pictures of it yet. The color of the flowers is maybe a shade or two darker than Royal Highness or Bride's Dream or close to Dainty Bess. It is a clear, light pink that isn't washed out, and doesn't wash out. Flower size is not large, at least not for me. It isn't small, but runs about 3 inches. It does smell nice. I don't expect too much from it next spring because I was growing it in a pot and put it in the ground in the fall. It may need more time to re-establish. With all that said, this rose is beautiful, even if it is another pink rose among how many other pinks out there.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your experiences. The fact that it is thornless really adds to it's attraction to me as a container rose next to a walkway (as long as it stays compact). If it's disease resistant too that is also impressive (especially for an Austin). Queen of Sweden looks like it might be a winner. Has anyone tried to cut a bloom and see how long it holds?.....Maryl

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Hi Maryl, I don't think it has a very long vase life. None of my austins seem to last very long. I was hoping with time they might last longer. Kinda goofy I know. Judy

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

You're right Prettypetals - it doesn't have a real long vase life - longer than Heritage, which it resembles a bit, but not nearly as long as Austin's Tess of the d' Urbevilles, which is probably my longest lasting Austin, on the bush and in a vase.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's listed in the DA catalog under "Garden roses for cutting" which is why I was asking...I read somewhere that the "shattering" of the rose petals on DA roses was considered a plus for roses used in hedges or in mass plantings since they would not require constant deadheading to keep the unattractive dying blooms cut off..... Actually that's not such a bad idea for a climbing rose either...But in this instance it would be nice to have a DA rose that had a keeping quality. Thanks for everyones input. This rose still sounds pretty good.....Maryl

• teka2rjleffel
    15 years ago

That photo of Queen of Sweden shown in the garden (vs the close up) knocked me out. What a pretty rose. I'm dying to get it, but no room.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

You will love it Maryl if you decide to get it. Its such a beautiful shade of pink even if it does shatter quickly. Just pick another rose for the vase and admire this little baby on the bush!! Or have it for one or two days in all its glory. Judy

• aqrose
    15 years ago

I really wish I could give you some personal testimony but both of the ones I got from DA this past spring died within days of getting them. :( Going to have to look for a new source since the majority of that order didn't make it either.

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

You guys who grow this rose ... please comment on the thorns. Is it really almost thornless, or is that just marketing?

Randy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

My Queen of Sweden is several years old, and I have no memory of thorn problems--which leads me to conclude thorns are not plentiful on it, or I would have been snagged some time or another.

I agree with the others--upright plant, about 4 ft tall, medium bloom that is wonderfully pale pink with a touch of apricot. I've never cut it for vase use, so can't comment on that, but left on the bush, it is not one of the Austin shatterers. It didn't re-bloom as quickly as I might have wished, but it is not in the sunniest spot, so that may have affected it. I'm moving it this spring to a much sunnier spot--hope it blooms even more!

I'd advise to put it somewhere where you can view it regularly at closer range. It's color does not carry well from any great distance.

I don't remember any disease problems on it. If it had any, they were very, very minor.

Queen of Sweden is not a rose I go wild over, but it is a pretty rose that I appreciate for its many good qualities.

Kate

• the_morden_man
    15 years ago

Hi Maryl, long time...

I don't grow Queen of Sweden in my garden, but I do have one on order for this year. It wasn't available here until this year.

So, I can't give you first hand experience with it and can't really add much more beyond what folks have already mentioned.

However, for what it's worth, I can relate my experiences of examining this rose growing in multiple areas of David Austin's garden.

Observations:
    -Grows extremely upright for an Austin on thick sturdy canes. Very HT in growth habit and even bud form.
    -The blooms do not droop like some Austins and are held well even in rain and wet weather.
    -It is not completely thornless, but does have very few of them. Most of the prickles are located near the base of the plant.
    -In DA's gardens, the plants were essentially 2.5 to 3.5' tall and at most, 2' wide due to upright nature.
    -Appeared to be a good bloomer, but not a large cluster bloomer.
    -Disease resistance appeared to be excellent. One of very few roses in DA's gardens that did not exhibit some level of BS. Very impressive.
    -Fragrance was actually very strong to my nose in the sun and heat anyway (it was a hot day for England, 28 celsius) and is pure myrrh. Smells very much like Tamora and Constance Spry, the latter being the rose that passed the myrrh fragrance into the Austin progeny.

It impressed me enough to make me want to add it to my garden and I have been waiting for it to be available for over a year now.

A few pics for you from QOS growing in DA's gardens in June 2007.

{{gwi:221489}}

{{gwi:221490}}

{{gwi:221491}}

• the_morden_man
    15 years ago

Hi Kate,

Yes, that is about 5 or 6 QOS's planted together in a group. If you look closely at the first pic, you can see the individual bases of at least 3 or 4 plants and I assume there are at least 2 or 3 more behind the ones you can see.

Most of the roses in DA's gardens are planted in clusters of anywhere from 3 to 20+ depending on which garden you in and location/space.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Long time no see Morden Man (and it shouldn't be so long). I appreciate your comments on this rose including taking the time to post those wonderful pictures. Even if Queen of Sweden has a few prickles, compared to my Tamora it will be considered thornless by me (grin)......I just noticed last night while looking over the Roses Unlimited catalog that they carry Queen of Sweden. With a container rose (which is what I'm planning for this one) I definitely learn towards own root, so that could work out well if the rose is vigorous enough...I know DA likes to plant his roses in multiples, but I never cared for that for a number of reasons, one being increased disease problems in our hot humid climate where air circulation is so important. But if this is a healthy rose then that problem might be lessened somewhat.....And Kate, what you said about subtle pastel colors blahing out from a distance holds true here also. Those pastels can really glow in climates like the PNW or England where the sunlight is of a more gentle sort and often partially obscured by clouds. Up close and personal via a container on a walkway or entryway is a way to appreciate some of these subtle beauties......Now I just have to figure where I can possibly put two other roses since RU has a 3 rose minimum....Thanks to everyone for thier experiences.........Maryl

• ebster
    15 years ago

Does anyone know how the flower of Queen of Sweden compares w/ that of Scepter'd Isle?

• the_morden_man
    15 years ago

Ebster,

In what sense? They are different colours and QOS has more petals and they are of thicker substance, but what else specifically, did you want to know?

Maryl,

I agree. It shouldn't be this long, but there are a variety of reasons why it has been. My schedule being the primary one. I'm catching rose fever again of late since, since we are mired in the midst of a brutal cold snap and with lots of snow. Starting to plan out some changes to the garden, which is always in flux anyway, and what roses leave for other pastures (usually a neighbour or friend) and what is added as a replacement. Fun and good times. :)

• gymmom411
    15 years ago

Those pictures are beautiful, I just love DA roses. This one reminds me of the generous gardener, it grows narrow and upright. The flowers look very similar but GG's are smaller. I think you guys have talked me into ordering QOS. Thanks

• ebster
    15 years ago

the_modern_man, your pictures of QOS are beautiful. I'm considering getting it. It was listed next to Scepter'd Isle in David Austin's new catalog and the flowers seem similar. I re-read the description and see that QOS has many more petals and Scepter seem to have stronger fragrance. Both are described as very healthy. I have a Scepter and love it. It is hardy in my very cold backyard. It does BS more than I like (I don't spray). Anything you can comment on the difference would be greatly appreciated. I guess I'm just trying to justify getting QOS thinking I might already have something very similar to it.

• the_morden_man
    15 years ago

Sceptre'd Isle is a very good rose too. However, it grows a lot larger/taller than QOS and is not quite as sturdy. The scent of SI is stronger than QOS, but to my nose at least, not significantly so. They both smell of pure myrrh.

The petals of QOS are thicker and have more substance, so in theory, they should last longer. That said, I only grow SI right now and can't compare them directly.

SI is more of a pure light pink in bloom and QOS is pure blush pink that at times, has a slight tinge of apricot in it, but is usually just blush pink. QOS has more petals.

They are both beautiful and charming roses that grow upright and bloom very well. I think, based on what I saw in DA's gardens, QOS gets the edge in terms of disease resistance, but keep in mind that could be specific to that environment only. Every garden is different and have many factors that can influence and effect disease pressure. SI had some minor BS in DA's gardens, whereas QOS had no disease whatsoever. Both were cleaner from disease than most of the roses.

Lastly, QOS is very nearly thornless, whereas SI has a fair number of them, but nowhere near as much as say, Tamora...Hope that helps.

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pictures & the comments, Morden Man. Looks like it has great looking blooms and I hardly see any thorns on the stems in your photos, which is a big plus to me. Probably too upright/stiff growing to mix well with my garden, but beautiful none the less.

Randy

• ebster
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for your info! You have convince me that I need a QOS :)

• rosymominzone9
    13 years ago

I'm just curious - did you wind up getting QOS and how is it doing? I am thinking of getting it. I like that fact that it might be more upright and narrower...I realize this is an old post....

Stasi

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus