Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svenskaflica

best white hybrid tea or floribunda rose

svenska
16 years ago

Please share your opinions of the best white hybrid tea or even floribunda. I'm needing to replace an old JFK and would like to try something different but still white. I'm in So. CA in a non-costal area. Thanks

Comments (35)

• dimitrig
    16 years ago

There are a lot of threads on this topic. In fact, there was
    one very recently. Search the forum.

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Best floribunda to me is Iceberg. It compliments other roses and is always in bloom. Bolero is smaller but very fragrant.
    Pope John Paul II is also to be considered according to all I've heard.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I don't think the search function is working. Bolero is a wonderful, fragrant rose. I have a friend who grows PJP II and he loves it but I don't have experience with it myself.

Carol

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

The floribunda, Fabulous, really is fabulous in our climate. I also like the shrub Pillow Fight, which is a prolific bloomer. My climbing Iceberg is still just a blooming floribunda but I'm hoping it gets bloomed out and starts throwing some canes one of these days soon.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Tineke is a very good HT. It is a florist rose, so it blooms a lot and the cut flowers last a long time. Karen Blixen is beautiful and fragrant. Snowbird is a low growing HT with old fashioned blooms; so far it is my healthiest white rose. Kronprincessin Victoria is a Bourbon, sport of SDLM but produces so many flowers that all floribundas should be envy of her.

I just planted Ice girl that is also a florist HT bred for being planted outdoor; it supposedly quite fragrant.

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Either Pope John Paul II or Maria Shriver. Maria does esp well in a large pot, for some reason. Both are nice and fragrant, also.

Sue

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I am deeply disappointed in Maria Shriver. Slow repeat the blooms either botrytis ridden or destroyed by thrips. The plant barely grew and very disease prone in my climate.

• buford
    16 years ago

I second Fabulous! (it's a child of Iceberg) but I don't think it's being sold anymore.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    16 years ago

Pope John Paul II - Last year I got it bare root. I was impressed with the number of blooms it produced. The bloom is white, not cream, has fragrance, beautiful exhibition form, and lasts a while. I didn't notice a problem with water spotting either. The only negative last year for me was that the stems seemed a little short.

Fabulous - Also, a nice white, not cream, floribunda. Japanese Beetles like it, too.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I love Moondance. It is a white floribunda rose with a slight yellow center. It has a very nice scent and blooms a lot. It's new for me last year. The flowers don't last very long when cut but there are so many flowers that I was cutting them anyway. I also have White Lightnin' but it didn't do much for me last year and what few blooms it had were eaten by the japanese beetles. I'm hoping it will get better as it gets more established. I've ordered Ice Girl for this spring which is supposed to be a great cut flower.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I am deeply disappointed in Maria Shriver. Slow repeat the blooms either botrytis ridden or destroyed by thrips. The plant barely grew and very disease prone in my climate.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    16 years ago

Tineke is a white HT that does real good for me.

• dimitrig
    16 years ago

The search function works fine as long as you substitute
    forums2 for forums in the resulting URL.

Anyway, here is the latest thread with the title "Is there a
    great white?"

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0613261128341.html

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Another vote for HT Tineke. I also have a soft spot for Ivory Fashion, and mini Gourmet Popcorn. My favorite new white this year is the J&P shrub rose 'Wild Spice'. It's a compact rugosa and a great performer, great in the garden but not as a source of cut flowers...!

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Might check out my relatively recent thread for which I will include the link below. Thanks dimitrig on how to make my thread work again.

I kinda wish stuff would start working around here again.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Most preferred white rose

• coltensdad
    16 years ago

ditto on Moondance. i had JFK in my biggest bed but moved it because of it's lack of bloom. replaced it with moondance which i bought for $5 on closeout and wow!!! this is a very nice white rose. goes well with the red ones around it.

• jont1
    16 years ago

HYBRID TEA:
    Moonstone--Beautiful large blooms with a touch of pink at petal tips. No fungal problems for me in four years. Very slightly sweet fragrance makes this one even better. Top show rose for exhibitors as well.
    Crystalline:Big beautiful solid white flowers. Good hip producing plants make this and excellent rose for hybridyzers.
    Pope John Paul II--new this year so I can't discuss winter hardiness yet, otherwise this is one heckuva good solid white rose. Is also very fragrant and makes a good cut flower. I splurged and bought two of them this past spring.

FLORIBUNDA:
    Pasadena Star--Actually kind of a creamy white for me with just the faintest touch of pink on petal tips. In the Fall of the year, blooms can be as large and larger than alot of Hybrid Tea flowers. Blooms are uniquely star shaped and can bloom in 4 & 5 rose sprays as well as long stemmed singles.
    MoonDance--new to me this year and it was very impressive with it's amount of bloom and their ice white color. This one blooms a ton.
    Iceberg--a good old standby for immense sprays of ice white blooms. Makes a decent parent plant for those who hybridyze.
    Margaret Merril--Pretty ice white sprays or singles with excellent fragrance makes a good though short lived cut flower. Need regular spraying to stave off BS/PM diseases. This one has a very nice fragrance.

• julie22
    16 years ago

Six year ago I sold my property. In staging it, one thing I did was put a bouquet of Margaret Merrill and Julia's Rose on the dinning room table. Not only did this bouquet go well with the decor of the room, Margaret Merrill did her thing by emminating her spicy fragrance thoughout the entire house. The house sold before the bouquet was spent.

Margaret Merrill can be problematic but when she's on, she's glorious. I find that with regular spraying and a good systemic for the thrips and this is a good rose as well a beautiful.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Hi Svenska,

This is my vote. I have just copied it from another post I submitted this morning:
    My favourite white florabunda. I am a big fragrance snob, but this is the ONLY thing it lacks, yet I still would not be without it. It can have amazing huge trusses, that one stem alone looks like a huge bridal bouquet. It is gorgeous and such continual abundance of blooms. BEAUTIFUL! - (Hopefully, I am enabling somebody) :)

PRINCESS OF WALES - (Harkness)
    {{gwi:212110}}

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• sandy808
    16 years ago

dimitrig, have you tried to do any searches on this site lately? They're all wiped out. Try it, I'll bet you get the "Whoops" message when you try to click on one. Been going on since they did their so - called "upgrades" to the software and or hardware. They've really made a mess.

Sandy

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

Sandy, If you type in the exact title of post in quotes in the google window, you can look at the post that way.

• dimitrig
    16 years ago

Sandy,

Searches still work. You just need to substitute "forums"
    for "forums2" in the URL of the search result.

• rosalita
    15 years ago

Question for MoodyBlue - I purchased a bareroot of Diana, Princess of Wales (I think that's the whole name) but I believe it was sold by J&P. Is your photo a different rose then? It's so beautiful, I'm hoping I have it. My bareroot is in great shape and has one large bud but I don't know exactly what to expect from this rose.

• ceterum
    15 years ago

I love whites in the garden including white roses despite the fact that white roses are trouble in my climate (thrips, botrytis, you name it).
    I was so close to order John Paul the II and Fabulous when J&P had their sale but they were packaged with other roses that I already have.I was still hesitating when we got the news about the car repair bill and that canceled everything else.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

Princess of Wales is a different rose than Diana, Princess of Wales...

• jim_w_ny
    15 years ago

The ARS Encyclopedia says Memoire, a floribunda, is the best of all modern roses (and is white). But the flowers spoil in rain making it an ideal candidate for S. CA.

It has huge flowers, 5", is very fragrant, long stems so good for cutting. Wonderful form. So what more do you want?

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

I would also suggest having a look at Honor, Pascali, Polarstern/Polar Star, White Lightnin', and French Lace as possibilities. Even an older one like White Masterpiece can be pretty, but it doesn't put out as many flowers because of their large size and high petal count. It also smells good. Class Act had a following when it came out, but it isn't seen or mentioned much any more even though it got the AARS award in 1989. There are plenty mentioned to choose from.

• jlalfred
    15 years ago

To me their can be no question about it. I have several
    white roses and love them all. But Pope John Paul II
    is my best.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

floribunda - Fabulous!, shrub - Starry Night, HT - Pope John Paul II, miniature - Constellation

• jont1
    15 years ago

I now have to also endorse Pope John Paul II as the best white hybrid tea available. I still like Moonstone though it isn't a totally white rose, but PJPII just excels in every possible category and is totally white with no pink traces of all. I liked the first one so much I ran right out and bought a second one from my local nursery. This is one heckuva great rose no matter the color.
    John

• rockyflorida
    15 years ago

I would just say that in our climate, Fabulous! is the worst blackspotter in my garden, worse than Peace. It blooms prolifically but I have considered taking it out, it defoliates so bad without spraying.

• moodyblue
    15 years ago

Yes Rosalita, It is Princess of Wales, a Harkness Rose. There are many different roses for Diana! :)

• Hrose
    11 years ago

where can i order Pope JP II hybrid tea rose or does anyone know a place i could buy it from in Ontario?

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Kosmos, or sometimes known as Kosmos Fairy Tale. It doesn't bloom as prolifically as Iceberg, but it also doesn't BS and defoliate like Iceberg will in most seasons. It is an incredibly charming rose and incredibly disease resistant. Best white I grow.

Escimo is another very good one.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH